Preview Round 19, 2024: Hawthorn v Collingwood, 20 July 2024 (Sat), 4:35pm @MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking how good is it having the class and X Factor of Watto and Ginnivan.
What did they rate our trade week results?? D-
We picked up Chol who will improve more and more. He's only played 70 odd games.
Ginnivan.... Really impressed. Works hard but oozes class.
D'Ambrosio How good is it getting him for nothing. Again classy in the back half or on a wing and a hard worker.
Dear has surprised all too. Can't blame the critics. No one expected this.

I'd rate that haul as a B plus.

Anyways, I'm going to sleep now. Goodnight y'all.

I was just thinking how good is it having the class and X Factor of Watto and Ginnivan.
What did they rate our trade week results?? D-
We picked up Chol who will improve more and more. He's only played 70 odd games.
Ginnivan.... Really impressed. Works hard but oozes class.
D'Ambrosio How good is it getting him for nothing. Again classy in the back half or on a wing and a hard worker.
Dear has surprised all too. Can't blame the critics. No one expected this.

I'd rate that haul as a B plus.

Anyways, I'm going to sleep now. Goodnight y'all.
They rated 2022 as D-
They rated 2023 as B

Cats v Pies last Friday was a sellout. 73k.

They have closed off ticket sales for Saturday without offering standing room. So, only 95k seats. Will be 75k - 80k.
Regardless, would be the third 70,000 plus game of the season (and 4th over 67,000) with Carlton to come.

Obviously MCG crowds are much bigger since Covid but it does goes to show how poorly managed and engaged we were in the Clarkson / Kennett years after 2015

The amount of rubbish being thrown at Naicos lol

Like get real he is easily a top 5 mid in the game when his on. Just doesn't have the consistency as a Bont/Neale type yet

We still need a plan to curtail his influence

It's a bit embarrassing. Imagine what those same posters would be saying if he was playing for us.

As for consistency, in the 64 games he has played in his career to date he has only had sub-20 touches four whole times, and one of those times he was subbed off early (against Melbourne this season).

In that same period the Bont has had sub-20 touches eleven times, and Neale has done this three times.

He has been incredibly consistent compared to even the league's best players, and this is just over the first three years of his career.

If Finn doesn’t come in we won’t tag anyone. Nash will go to someone at contests like usual but he’ll get plenty of his own footy, not just defend. I don’t want Finn in but I understand if it happens, we probably have a spot for him if Mass is out anyway.

Too much talk about negating their players when we are going head to head weekly and usually winning. I’ll back our midfield to win us the game regardless of what they do.

We just beat Freo’s midfield with Serong, Young, Jackson, Fyfe, and Brayshaw. Have some faith.
Tagging a teams best player when their midfield is down a few is often a killer blow, as long we stop their run which I am confident we will it will be easy pickings.

I’m becoming an advocate of Finn, tagging or not, his run, forward pressure and versatility is key, and he needs more afl game time now. Power athlete pressure forwards that can tag almost any player is a pretty key position in game time.

As long as his skills stay neat with no major turnovers he will demand his way in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be happy to bring Finn in to replace Frenchy this week.

I love Frenchy and he has a big future with us, but he plays better when he has more time to make decisions and execute his skills. He's also been a little down recently and might need either a week's rest, or a game in the 2's to build up some form again.

Collingwood will know that manic pressure is the only way they can beat us, so Frenchy's weakness will be targeted, whereas Finn loves that shit and will excel (whether he plays on Naicos or not).

I would be happy to bring Finn in to replace Frenchy this week.

I love Frenchy and he has a big future with us, but he plays better when he has more time to make decisions and execute his skills. He's also been a little down recently and might need either a week's rest, or a game in the 2's to build up some form again.

Collingwood will know that manic pressure is the only way they can beat us, so Frenchy's weakness will be targeted, whereas Finn loves that shit and will excel (whether he plays on Naicos or not).

Both clubs will be looking at the others recent game v the cats for clues youd think

Both clubs will be looking at the others recent game v the cats for clues youd think

Strong ball control and uncontested marks seem to be the way to easily control the match and beat the Pies.
The conceded 139 and 145 marks in their past two losses (Dons and Cats).

Cats also demolished us in that stat, though not to the same level as they did the pies.

Our strength seems to be more of the run and gun style with handball through the corridor, we don't even need to win the 'Marks' stat to win the match.

We had high mark numbers against the easy beats (Richmond=120 and WC=129), but our other games against real opponents seem to hover between the 80 and 90 mark whether we win or lose:
  • Freo match (W) we had 80 marks, they had 107
  • Cats match (L) we had 79, they had 112
  • GWS match (W) we had 88, they had 85
  • Brisbane match (W) we had 82, they had 106.

The game earlier in the season which we lost to the pies by 5 points, the Marks were basically even: them 78, us 80.

Will be very interesting to see how we play.

We will need to ge much better in the air. Both forward and back.
Freo might have the best aerial side in the comp to be fair. Treacy, Jackson, Ryan, Cox, Pearce (when fit).

Collingwood have a horribly out-of-form Darcy Moore, Howe and Kreuger. We should at least break even with them in the air, if not win the battle. You'd also think we should win the midfield contest unless JDG plays one of those once-a-month games and Naicos goes ballistic.

As always with the pies, it's about how well you can handle pressure, defend the turnover and punish their impotent forward line with intercept marking

We will make the 8 if we lose only one more game - and this cannot be it.

Three higher ranked games:
  • Carlton
  • GWS away
  • Adelaide away

So this one is a must-win.

Hence Sicily must play and Ginni and Mass can only play if fit - and I suspect both may be OK, which is awesome.

Finn in before the end of the year but would be distracting in this one … so holding tight on him.

Ward played well and would be unlucky to not play - but may make way for Ginni.

Scrimshaw's 100th game! Get around him!
95 games and counting of pure class from Jack for the Hawks.

Really what an absolute steal that trade was, we paid 9/10 of bugger all for one of the most talented and reliable players on our list. In fact I would argue it is one of the best value trades our club has made in the past ten years.

And what a match to play your 100th, in front of 90,000 at the MCG in a massive game to determine our chances of making finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back