Round 19 Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously Hill, Sandilands and Ballantyne to come in, Griffin, Sylvia and Taberner out. If Ibbotson is ready to go he's a certainty with Morabito going back to the subs bench.

Mora going back to Peel for a week may actually be a good thing for him. After the Saints game he would've realised the big step up in fitness from the WAFL to AFL and that he's not quite there yet. Obviously he would've know there's a big step up, but not necessarily known how his body would cope with it.

but he lacks speed problem, tackling and Blues have a running backline.

Yeah, true. And with Elvis clearly lacking a yard of pace, we can't afford to carry another player who can't run with a breaking fast fwds that they have. Pity, because SCOS is unlucky not to have gotten a few more games in recent weeks (due to injury).

I think we should persevere with morra as the sub - in terms of coming off the bench and making an impact late, Morra has been our best performing impact sub all season IMO. It only falls over if a key player gets injured early, that being said there are few positions on the ground that Morra couldn't slot into - hopefully it would give him a shot to play himself into form.

All that aside, he's been doing more than Sylvia has with less time on the field, the saints game being the exception.

So the second key forward position continues to be of interest. Apeness and Tabs aren't ready and my buddy's 'durability' can't be questioned. As we build towards finals and the possible return of Walters, I am guessing the second key forward trial will be on the backburner for the remainder of the year.

However, couldhavebeen throws up a valid argument with Silvagni. As an alternative, if Silvagni plays as a defender, we've always got McPharlin who can play forward and would imo be a better forward than Silvagni. I know this solution will bring out many critics with the robbing Peter to p(l)ay Paul analogy but it is possible that this positional change could be better for the team balance. Fire away.

I've become very keen to see Duffy debut. I've got very little to back up this theory, but I think he'll compliment our forward line beautifully.

Walters Mayne Duffy
Ballantyne Pavlich Clarke

Not going to happen now but would have been interesting earlier if Duffy hadn't got injured.

I actually thought through this... I still remember last season when Freo beat the tigers by a point and Griffin did his knee. Obviously he got replaced by a smaller guy and Clarke carried the ruck in the rest of the game. If a small mid or forward got subbed out, then he would be replaced by another medium sized runner.

I remember that demons game a few weeks ago in the NT. Apeness played half a game and Morabito got subbed in. It didnt hurt the team. I expect Freo to beat Carlton and win easily. Still I was thinking lets give Alex Pearce half a game then sub him off for Silvagni. Dawson and Johnson are the 2 main key defenders. Worst case scenario, you have 2 mids in the bench being rotated.

Still with the interchange cap, when you have 4 guys on the bench its usually 3 mids and the sub or 2 mids and a tall and then a sub.

Still remember a Carlton vs Essendon game I think in 2011 or 2012, where 3 carlton players were injured in the 1st quarter and they were down to one sub. They made bugger all rotations while Essendon made plenty. Essendon won easily that day.
I've read this a couple of times now... and I still can't see your point.

You seem to be saying we should sub a tall for a tall. And then you mention apeness for mora (kpp for non). Then suggest pearceA for silva (kpd for kpd). Then say it's helpful to make lots of rotations... which is difficult if you don't have runners.

What exactly was your point? Sacrifice our rotations to give a young kpd a run? Would have thought the saints game was a timely cautionary tale.

I actually thought through this... I still remember last season when Freo beat the tigers by a point and Griffin did his knee. Obviously he got replaced by a smaller guy and Clarke carried the ruck in the rest of the game. If a small mid or forward got subbed out, then he would be replaced by another medium sized runner.

I remember that demons game a few weeks ago in the NT. Apeness played half a game and Morabito got subbed in. It didnt hurt the team. I expect Freo to beat Carlton and win easily. Still I was thinking lets give Alex Pearce half a game then sub him off for Silvagni. Dawson and Johnson are the 2 main key defenders. Worst case scenario, you have 2 mids in the bench being rotated.

Still with the interchange cap, when you have 4 guys on the bench its usually 3 mids and the sub or 2 mids and a tall and then a sub.

Still remember a Carlton vs Essendon game I think in 2011 or 2012, where 3 carlton players were injured in the 1st quarter and they were down to one sub. They made bugger all rotations while Essendon made plenty. Essendon won easily that day.
I've read this a couple of times now... and I still can't see your point.

You seem to be saying we should sub a tall for a tall. And then you mention apeness for mora (kpp for non). Then suggest pearceA for silva (kpd for kpd). Then say it's helpful to make lots of rotations... which is difficult if you don't have runners.

What exactly was your point? Sacrifice our rotations to give a young kpd a run? Would have thought the saints game was a timely cautionary tale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has he been doing that in the wafl?

Sorry I don't get to Peel games except this week when they play Perth at my local oval. Will have a good look on Saturday because Whilst I get the impression he is a fair way ahead of Crozier in the coaches view I still don't think he will get a game due to the returning players this week.

I was referring to his ability to calmly hit up a target or kick a goal in the AFL. I am not for a moment saying that he has dominated his time in the AFL but rather I can see that he has the required skill sets to succeed if he can settle at AFL level and start to get the required number of possessions. He can really run all day which we all know is a fundamental of Lyon's game plan.

Sorry for the intrusion. I have read Walters won't return this week. Do you expect him to play the following week against us, or would he need a game in the WAFL first after so much time out?

Hard to say - I personally don't see him playing until Hawks or Brissy game but he could come back as the sub.

Sorry for the intrusion. I have read Walters won't return this week. Do you expect him to play the following week against us, or would he need a game in the WAFL first after so much time out?

I think he will be back against you guys. No matter what Ross hints, Walters won't play WAFL. He is too important. Plus if he is going to be up and going for finals he needs to start playing soon. The Geelong game is probably the biggest game of the season for us with how the ladder sits, and Walters is a very important weapon. I expect him back at Simmonds at least as the sub

I've become very keen to see Duffy debut. I've got very little to back up this theory, but I think he'll compliment our forward line beautifully.

Walters Mayne Duffy
Ballantyne Pavlich Clarke
We can't go into the finals with Pav as the only (damaging) big forward target (resulting in a double team). Need to keep putting game time into another tall. Otherwise if Pav got injured (yes, i know there's another thread discussing this), goodbye 2014. Tabs is just not there yet, the old guys too injury prone, hannath didn't do much either. Apeness is the only one for me who looked dangerous in the forward 50, worked hard at ground level, generally kept out of Pav's way, and gave Pav a tall target to kick to when Pav marked on the wings, even if only to spill or pass to Ballas (or Walters). He was a 1st round pick selected for his size and ability as a forward. I think we should give him game time the remainder of the home and away season. He could also help to ruck forward if we lost a ruck during an important game. He showed enough for me that i would hope he is given more games at this time. taberner has not (yet?)

I suspect he'll wear the green vest in his first game back. Can't see him having a huge impact in his first couple of games after missing 3 months of footy though.

We can't go into the finals with Pav as the only (damaging) big forward target (resulting in a double team). Need to keep putting game time into another tall.
I can see your point but I think when Walters comes back it changes our forward line dynamic that much so the second big forward becomes less important. I believe Mayne's game has suffered with Walters out and hence he could become damaging once again. The fact is we don't have a second talented big man to come in at the expense of our talented smaller players.
Clarke and Sandi will just have to turn it up when they are up forward.

Has Tendai trained? He looked very proppy with a bad landing but did play the game out, but sometimes the real pain comes later.
Brades has probably been working his Mzungu voodoo doll with a needle all week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 19 Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back