Autopsy Round 2 Carlton vs West Coast Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential candidates for our next coach have to include Nathan Bassett and Scott Burns. I will absolutely puke if we go for a tried coach and cry if we sign an older 'big name' coach. No more big name coaches. MM is proving to be even more disastrous than Pagan if that is even possible.

How do we rebuild? We need to make some tough calls. Sadly, a few of those will be made for us (thanks C. Judd, A. Carrazzo and K. Simpson). We see if loyal servants such as Andrew Walker and Michael Jamison want to be traded. We do our best to accommodate them. We wont get very much for them but that's okay - if they want to move on then that's perfectly fine and the club earns a little bit of trust and appreciation from the AFLPA and player managers (more important than many may think). Dennis Armfield, Cam Wood, Robbie Warnock, Sam Rowe and David Ellard are all delisted. They're all fringe level plays above the age of 26.

You sit down and tell the players aged 23 (at the end of the season) to 28 (Thomas, Murphy, White, Everitt, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Curnow, Tuohy, Henderson, Casboult, Sheehan, Yarran, Jones, Tutt, Bell and Watson) and advise them that the club is honestly four or five seasons away from contending for a premiership (i.e. when their careers will be over or close to it) and that if they harbor the desires to win a premiership in the very near future then you will do your best to move them on in the trade period or restricted free agency as long as they do the right thing by the club and allow the club to get comparable or as much value as possible in the form of young (23 or under) players and/or draft picks in return.

When it comes to incoming free agency you target veteran free agents who have enjoyed a level of team success in their careers and who have the passion to lead and teach younger players. There's always a few veterans who have a desire to become some sort of coach at the AFL level after their playing career is over - similar to what GWS have done in the past. We go out and sign these types. We don't give up anything for them in the form of draft picks or whatnot. Do not trade for these types of players.

In the draft you target best available football player. It doesn't matter what position that they play in as long as at whatever picks you have they're the most talented football player. A lot of the mistakes that the recruiting department have made over the years is that they've targeted the most talented potential athlete -- many of them may have been great athletes but they're not football players. The easiest example of this was Shaun Hampson. It's so easy to pick the tantalizing athlete on the potential of "when we teach him to play AFL football watch out!" but the second that you have to teach the guy how to play the game you're screwed. That's what the Irish (and international) experiment and the rookie draft is for. If you want a tantalizing athlete who can't play the game until you teach him then sign an international prospect or rookie him - don't waste your second and third rounders on a kid. There's far too much risk. I'd rather we draft kids like Sam Docherty who are genuine footballers with arguably not as much perceived upside than an athlete.

It's going to take four or five years to become a legitimate premiership contender. There's going to be casualities. Those casualties will come in the form of players who are loyal to themselves rather than the club. An example of the type of player we'd be moving on is Troy Chaplin who left Port to join Richmond in free agency because he was so shortsighted that he never saw the longterm planning that the club had for its future. These are the type of players you appreciate for what they've done for you but will be found out as the type who aren't needle pushers in regards to team success.

What you're left with is a young and committed playing group led by veterans who already bleed for the jumper and a few that have their own long-term post-playing career futures in mind who are the right type of veteran to have at the club because what they're driven towards is something that will aide the development of the younger players on the list.

It wont happen overnight. You may lose members who demand immediate success over it. But it is the most rational way to tackle a hard rebuild and it's something that our list needs.
Agree with every word.

Not going to discuss the game - blood pressure has only just returned to normal

Five things I want to see going forward:
1 more accountable midfield - if that is not possible then get Cripps fit and leave him in so we at least win some clearances, not sure what was going on in there but whoever was in looked lost (suspect they didn't know how to rove to the dominant opposition ruck)
2 a game plan that counters the ease with which ball is moved into the opposition forward line - based on No. 1 not being likely then I say we need to have a spare man in defense - nominate either White, Everitt or Gibbs (yeah we want him in the midfield but 2014 Gibbs not 2015 Gibbs) - if they man him up get another - at least it will crowd their forward line
3 we need a ruckman who wins knocks, always though 206 was useless and Wood gave us around the ground presence, not much use if we don't have the ball though
4 Yarran - Release/remove from backline - we apparantly have lots of HBFs - surely they would be more defensive minded and we need Yarran on a wing to provide run and options going forward
5 develop a game plan coming out of defense - appears we are being manned up - mix it up for ***** sake - force them back into zone by going with the huddle at CHB, or go with Jamos bomb

PS - tell Gibbs he can't blindly kick over his shoulder out of defense or next time he gets his head shaved like Juddy

i was gobsmacked that mm didnt double team kennedy with a spare man in defense - was waiting for it - wtf?

i said before the game that its going to be a long season for both clubs - but whoever loses this game its going to be an even longer season - you guys got beaten by a pretty ordinary flat track bully team. commiserations.

kruse back will hopefully help.

.....and now tonight I've got to go to a family function where the in-laws are all gloating Essendon supporters.

Think I'll just get pissed and tell them all to get f$&@ed !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really wouldn't be too smug as an * supporter knowing what was coming at the G tomorrow.

Let's be honest here - you guys got lucky that you happened to play Sydney, who happened to have gained nothing from winning, who happened to have rested players for the finals. The margin was very small in the end. They may have not gone in as hard but they certainly would have made a bigger impact to the team's structure.

And you're deflecting from your terrible list management and horrific recruiting by bringing Richmond into a discussion where they don't exist. Your club has bigger things to worry about than us.

I'll enjoy the ban, thanks.

And you're deflecting from your terrible list management and horrific recruiting by bringing Richmond into a discussion where they don't exist. Your club has bigger things to worry about than us.

Neither team is winning a premiership anytime soon... so why does it matter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can I possibly be deflecting from an issue when I've already admitted as such numerous times already?

^^^^^^^^

Going by that, I'd bring in SkyWalker, Dennis the Menace, and Nicky G against the Peptides .. Happy to see a few young recruits amongst the top possession getters ..

^^^^^^^^

Going by that, I'd bring in SkyWalker, Dennis the Menace, and Nicky G against the Peptides .. Happy to see a few young recruits amongst the top possession getters ..
I would like to know what Nick G did with those possessions if anyone was watching. From what i read Buckley might be a chance before Nick.

Let's be honest here - you guys got lucky that you happened to play Sydney, who happened to have gained nothing from winning, who happened to have rested players for the finals. The margin was very small in the end. They may have not gone in as hard but they certainly would have made a bigger impact to the team's structure.
the Tigers won about 11 games straight to make the finals. When did we last win 5 games in a row, 3 games? was it 2000? credit to the Tigers I'd take their list in a hearbeat to the rabble we are. Too many years of denial have led to this.

This has nothing to do with you being a Richmond fan, I question whether anyone can have an robust and intelligent discussion on footy with someone with your somewhat crass username. Enjoy your game this afternoon, Dogs by 4 goals :)

Last week and this week we have had too many passengers. We are not playing as a team and we are not applying any pressure on the opposition. Once the opposition kicks a few goals on us, we lose confidence and forget about whatever team plans we have.

Yes, last night the yellow maggots gave us a raw deal with some very questionable decisions. But we also fkd up with head high tackles and being second to the contest. The umpires calls didn't really make any difference to the end result.

Our players lack confidence and we don't have enough hard nuts willing to do the team things. We are also wilting under pressure and this is affecting our disposal. I don't think we have a lack of fitness. I think the players biggest problem is between their ears.

I just hope the team and the coaches can turn this around ASAP or this is going to be one very long season ......

I would like to know what Nick G did with those possessions if anyone was watching. From what i read Buckley might be a chance before Nick.

Not sure if anyone here watched the game, it was a curtain raiser to Richmond v The Dogs ..

Really hope Graham does come in next week, frankly I'm happy to drop Carrots for him. I think Mick needs to send a message and drop a big name ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 2 Carlton vs West Coast Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back