Round 2 v Gold Coast, Sunday Evening @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

thomas_m18

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
Melbourne, Aus
AFL Club
St Kilda
Might be better if I try and focus on next week after that.

So excited to be heading in for footy this week. My first game of the season, and it better be a freaking win to us.

Where is Schneids? If he's fit, he comes in this week, obviouisly. Same with Ledger, whose replacement was less than flash, especially considering Port Adelaide's substitute had a marked effect on the outcome of the match. Will be a few players sweating bullets over their spot in the side. Our spine really isn't good enough, but I can't see Simpkin coming in for someone like Blake, not that I'd be against a move like that.

I honestly would be considering bringing in a player like Wilkes or Archer to stretch the backline of the Suns, and I feel this is an area we can really exploit them. However, Darch/Wilkes+Stanley+Rooey+Kosi+Macca=very tall. Not going to be a long-term solution either.

Polo out for mine. Not a huge basher, but give Ledger a chance at it to win the contested ball. Armitage could just as easily go out, but youth>limited experience.

My predicted changes:

IN: Ledger, Schneider(if fit)/Saad
OUT: Ray, Polo

If you wanted to swing the axe:

IN: Ledger, Schneider, Saad, Simpkin
OUT: Ray, Polo, Blake (sorry, Blakey...), Peake

Dunnell, Shenton, Curren and Archer all look like good prospects, but they're stuck on the rookie list. Dunno how the rookie elevation thing works. If Siposs is out for an extended period, we could LTI him and rookie one of those guys? Don't think Siposs is that bad off though.

Twilight again? :thumbsdown:

Ledger for Ray is a must, Schneider an obvious choice if healthy. He did a hammy though so it's unlikely they'd risk him in a game against the Gold Coast. While Polo wasn't too bad today he isn't getting any better so I wouldn't mind someone from the Zabs given a go.

Dream on guys, the axe won't be swung.

Ray is as good as gone. (2 touches, 2 clangers, 1 tackle, 27%TOG.)

Peake and Polo did nothing as well, but he won't be dropping them all together. If we're gonna have a couple be largely ineffectual it might as well be some young guys so they can at least learn a thing or two in the mean time, right? Would love Saad in, but he, like many others haven't done much to warrant selection. Actually the only ones that have are stuck on the rookie list.

Will be interesting to see how SW approaches it, because for example Seb Ross fills a need, but he hasn't exactly lit up the Zebs. Maybe since we're not contending, and still tinkering, there's merit in selecting for a need rather than waiting for the player to demand selection.

Blake needs to stay, even if Simpkin comes in.

I'd like to see what Wilkes can do, only up forward tho. I think he'd provide a decent marking option, making the opp accountable.

Kosi has to be subbed out.

Saad & Ross were pretty unimpressive in VFL, no better then guys people want to replace them with..

Simpkin MUST come in, another dominate display. Schneider think is still another week away.

OUT: Blake, Ray
IN: Simpkin, Ledger

OUT: Ray, Peake

Come back Jimmy Gwilt, for the love of jeebus, come back!

I'd like to see Simpkin come in, and keep Blake as well, giving Fisher a chance to be a bit more creative.

I'm reserved about Ray, he's a player who tends to drift in and out of games and is a shit choice for sub.

Cripps didn't do enough, maybe a sub role for him next week ( lets remember one of the things we were critical about last year was bringing young guys in for a game and dropping them ).

Kosi was ordinary and I would like to try Wilkes instead. ( McEvoy/Stanley can hold the ruck ).
Peake didnt do enough.
Milne did, and given Milera was very good, I'd say Saad hasn't got a game just yet.
Armitage tackled a lot but needs to get more of the ball.

We don't really have the cattle to swing the axe but if we wanted to do it to prove a point ( and possibly set ourselves up for a loss against the Gold Coast just to make the Saints a total laughing stock we could go).

Preferred:
Outs : Ray, Kosi, Peake Cripps.
Ins : Simpkin, Wilkes, Ledger, Schnieder

NEWSFLASH Watters wants us to win the contested ball. Polo did better at it than Armitage so Polo will be safe. I really dont think we should bring in Ross ( who was quiet on the weekend ) or elevate a Rookie for Armitage or Jones.

With Schnieder, Milne and Milera, I dont want Saad as well.

If only we could bring in Cockie.

Kosi was basically our only marking forward target yesterday, no way he'll be dropped. If he kicks 3 goals every game, I'd be happy with that. Thought he moved pretty well too, much better than just about any time last year.

Whatever constitutes swinging the axe, the axe won't be swung. With Cripps, Milera, even Stanley all young and raw, we don't need another 4 or 5 kids coming in.

Having said that, I think I agree with AT

May as well have 5 kids in the side and see how they stack up against the GCS kids

INJURY UPDATE: Adam Schneider 3-4 weeks, Raph Clarke 5-7 weeks, Jason Gram 2 weeks (all hamstrings) & James Gwilt 3-4 weeks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kosi was basically our only marking forward target yesterday, no way he'll be dropped. If he kicks 3 goals every game, I'd be happy with that. Thought he moved pretty well too, much better than just about any time last year.

Whatever constitutes swinging the axe, the axe won't be swung. With Cripps, Milera, even Stanley all young and raw, we don't need another 4 or 5 kids coming in.

Having said that, I think I agree with AT

May as well have 5 kids in the side and see how they stack up against the GCS kids

Q: How many contested marks did Kosi take? 1.
Is he so good that he can always find space and take them uncontested.

6 disposals for 3 goals is good accuracy but sheesh. No point bringing it to ground if the other team picks it up. But yeah his 3 goals will probably keep him in the team.

I'd still keep Blake ahead of Peake, and see if Fisher can play a more creative role.
Peake had 6 tackles and 4 contested posessions.
If winning the contested ball is the criteria ( as indicated by Watters ) , Cripps, Ray and Peake are the biggest offenders. ( With Ray maybe slightly ahead based on TOG ).

Personally i think peake did ok, he had a good rebound off the backline, but i have to agree perhaps we should give some of the young guns a shot seeing as it is very early in the season, and we're vsing GC.

Not to get any1 annoyed but if i can quickly say, with the port game i think scotty watters mucked up our sub, the sub, should be a person who will inject pace and speed into the team, unfortunately faz ray hasn't had a good season, ledger was the way to go, he got the wrong but he did do other things well (scott watters that is).

Ok for the game, what everyones posted seems pretty good, i think personally blake however will stay, they'll want to keep another tall there so i think this s how it will look.

IN:Ledger, Saad, Schnieder
OUT: Ray, Peake Milera

Mil did ok,but if i use my head and not my heart (otherwise simpkin and maybe ross would be coming in) i think thats the most likely result, however, don't be suprised to see wilkes go in instead of Saad.

Shouldn't even have to write this, but obviously we'll be too strong for the suns, and ontop of that we're playing at Etihad so it shoudl be saints by 45+

EDIT: Are you sure schnieds is out for 2-3? last time i checked he should be back this week, and its good to see grams having a speedy recovery.

Q: How many contested marks did Kosi take? 1.
Is he so good that he can always find space and take them uncontested.

6 disposals for 3 goals is good accuracy but sheesh. No point bringing it to ground if the other team picks it up. But yeah his 3 goals will probably keep him in the team.

Not saying he was awesome, but he will keep his spot
I guess he was good enough to find space for his 3 uncontested marks

The other team taking it away too easily when Kosi competed yet the pill hit the deck is hardly Kosi's fault

Kosi could've kicked 0 and he still would keep his spot. Lets be real.
Shouldn't have been allowed to get through off the equivalent of 1 quarter of passable football a week. Which he's been doing for the better part of 2 years. The lack of focus to recruit developing KPF's has me baffled, we've had about 3-4 years notice, and have really only taken 2 in Staley and Archer.

100% needs to be subbed off.

God I hope Archer keeps stepping it up.

Kosi could've kicked 0 and he still would keep his spot. Lets be real.
Shouldn't have been allowed to get through off the equivalent of 1 quarter of passable football a week. Which he's been doing for the better part of 2 years. The lack of focus to recruit developing KPF's has me baffled, we've had about 3-4 years notice, and have really only taken 2 in Staley and Archer.

100% needs to be subbed off.

God I hope Archer keeps stepping it up.

Spot on Benchy needs to be subbed off. Yes Kosi kicked what 2 or 3 goals from 6 disposals, BUT he got 90% those in opening 20mins of the game & then went missing yet again.

But I guess he plays a "role" and crashes packs... Stanley is much better 2nd ruck & we have Blake (although he shld b dropped) if we need another ruck.

Would love to see Wilkes given game up forward in place of Kosi and see what he can do. Just sick of team carrying him.

Imagine the gameplan against Gold Coast this week will be tag Ablett with either Dempster, Jones or both. Stop him having a big influence and we should win the game.

Good opportunity to give some more of our younger players a run. Would like to see Ledger, Simpkin and Siposs (if fit) come in to the side. Cripps, Stanley and Milera all did enough to keep their spots, the likes of Polo, Ray, Peake, Blake and Armitage will probably the players most under pressure to keep their spots.

Disappointing that Schneider will be out for another few weeks, we missed him badly yesterday as he is one of our better users of the football and is usually good for two or three goals. Without him we lack goal scoring power especially if Riewoldt and Milne are shut down.

Not sure if Saad is ready but he could be a possible replacement for Schneider to play the second small forward role.

Spot on Benchy needs to be subbed off. Yes Kosi kicked what 2 or 3 goals from 6 disposals, BUT he got 90% those in opening 20mins of the game & then went missing yet again.

But I guess he plays a "role" and crashes packs... Stanley is much better 2nd ruck & we have Blake (although he shld b dropped) if we need another ruck.

Would love to see Wilkes given game up forward in place of Kosi and see what he can do. Just sick of team carrying him.
Completely agree. After quarter time Kosi was simply atrocious and his only good work was a Joe the goose goal in the third quarter. I don't know why we persist with him as a forward when he showed good form as a ruckmen pushing forward in the second half of last year. A Wilkes experiment would be interesting to see but I still think Stanley should be playing full time forward.

I'm not sure why there's all this hate on Koschitzke right now. He did well at a ground that is not kind to KPF's, and the wind wouldn't have helped either. Not to mention the delivery - you can't do much when the ball is rarely coming in, and when it does it's coming in poorly.

I'm reasonably confident in saying that if his efforts were more spread over the course of the game, rather than primarily in the first quarter, these things wouldn't be said. Honestly, I don't care when a player has good input, so long as it is an acceptable amount. The way some of you guys are carrying on, you'd be annoyed if Kosi kicked 6 in a quarter then did nothing for the rest of the game.
The fact is, he kicked 3 goals in a relatively low scoring game, on a ground which is terrible for forwards, and with disgusting delivery from the midfield. He did well, and just because it was mostly in the first quarter doesn't make a difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2 v Gold Coast, Sunday Evening @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back