Round 2 v Gold Coast, Sunday Evening @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate to sound negative, but did anyone else think we looked horribly exposed at those times the zone was broken. GC didn't capitalise on it all that well though.

Most teams are these days. Even in 2009 we looked a little silly at times when a player would mark nearly unattended in their forward 50 if the zone was penetrated. It continues to be a balancing act. Our pressure was the best it had been since the opening quarter of the West Coast game in 2011 for mine.

Realising we were playing against Gold Coast, I like how open everything was and the more direct style of play overall. Less ball out to the flanks, and an even spread of attacking players. Could have had another couple of goalkickers if not for a few fumbles around goal.

All in all, it's hard to fault anything that took place last night, however there's a few things remaining from last week that need to be addressed:

Q1 - Some fumbles and unnecessarily rushed clearance kicks on the wing. More talk and better hands would have prevented this.
Still some passages moving out of the centre and down the boundary.
When Ablett is acting like a petulant knob-end because he can't get any clean run, don't give umpires an excuse to reward him for it.
Don't try tricky handballs in defensive 50.

Q2 - Kicks to certain contests.
Kicks often going too close to the boundary to create any attacking pressure, resulting in only 3 goals being kicked.

Q3 - Some poor disposal/decisions putting the receiving player under pressure. Hard to believe there was 7 goals with all the scrapping.

Q4 - Poor delivery into 50 early in the quarter.

Tactically:

The 1st quarter saw more ball delivered to centre wing and through the middle. Some players were clearly told to resist the urge to kick long and wide, meaning they were looking inbound first. Gilbert was relatively error-free until he opted to kick down the flank. Most wide tagets during that quarter were marking along the line of the square or no further than half-way to the boundary from it. Something broke down in the 2nd and 3rd as there was endless switching with no movement in the centre providing targets.

All the talk after the game was how many contested touches Ablett had. Jones and Armitage were right on his hammer, resulting in 62% efficiency from him. In contrast, Armitage was on 91% and Jones, 79%. Countless times they stuck an arm in, chopping out the 'wonderful possession'. Jones had 0 clangers to go with it.

More ball to Koschitzke and him getting to the drop practically every time meant he was a genuine threat. Could have had another couple of goals if Armitage didn't grab one out of his hands and an opponent's shoulder didn't knock another out on the way down. Playing three tall forwards helped in general. This helped Reiwoldt stay at home more, where he should be.

Youngsters/recruits:

Milera - Another solid game. A couple of mistakes that created unnecessary pressure, but has again shown enough to warrant his spot in the side.

Steven - Butchered his disposal a fair bit. Was quite hard at it and won plenty of the ball (13 contested). Created run when he could get it out cleanly.

Stanley - Looks like he was the option on the flank. Did well in the ruck when asked and regularly presented himself as a target.

Newnes - Didn't really stand out a lot. Not expecting too much from a debutant. That said, rarely made any mistakes.

Cripps - Might be one to make way for Polo to come back in. As much as he added run and contest, not so sure he impacted as intended.

Simpkin - Looked good. No glaring errors. Was in the right place at the right time and won the ball for himself. Eight 1%ers.

Ledger - Didn't have much of an opportunity. May not be suited to a sub role as he didn't seem to really bust out of the blocks.

Note for debate:

Koschitzke, McEvoy and Geary all had at least a dozen possessions each for 100% efficiency. More than half of Koschitzke and McEvoy's possessions were contested. Geary and McEvoy had 0 clangers while Koschitzke only had 1. You can stop sooking about them for the next week.

Polo in for Cripps. I don't know how either of them played, but Newnes may be replaced by Peake or Ray as we're up against an experienced side next week.

Oh, just wanted to say, credit where it's due - Gilbert still had his clangers, but I thought him playing as a tall midfielder with run was pretty darn good. Perhaps that's what he needs, the freedom to run and make the play, with occasional stints in the backline just to shore up the defense with his height and marking.

(there you go, Punter, I said it!;))

Interesting that last week when we were beaten by Port, it was the end of the world, wholesale changes to the list, coaching staff and a complete rebuild at St Kilda.

This week we beat one of the two development teams and the story then becomes we are on track for a flag in 2012. We played very well, but keep it in perspective, they have been in the comp for a year.

As always the reality lies in between. There were positives this week, as with last weeks game.

The senior players showed much better touch and willingness to fight for a contested ball. Loved the touch of Lenny, Goddard and Del Santo. Milera, Stanley and Simpkin were all very good and show lots of promise going forward.

This week is an excellent test against a great recent rival in the Western Bulldogs as to where we are currently sitting.

But with the injection of youth and all that has been implemented for change and improvement at St Kilda we all have cause to be optimistic.

Don't forget the 'Centrebet' highlights!

You could drive a UD Truck through my logic in missing that one. It's just good to see the boys from the Linen House Centre keep the Jeld-Wen premiership window open. I'll certainly stay more Call Active in monitoring all the videos from now on.

:eek::D

"Jeld-Wen Premiership Window"

Gold.

Once at a Hawthorn-Sydney game with a mate, I decided to try and take it to the nth degree (with radio stations and all their sponsorship of every little detail) by suggesting something was a "John Allison Monkhouse Goal of the Day", something else was a "Carefree Tampons Mark of the Day", and finally statistics were "Smith & Wesson disposals".

I thought it was funny. Listening to ABC on the way to Adelaide last week, it was refreshing to hear a call without all that stuff.

End rant.

I think everyone here will agree that Cripps didn't exactly have a standout game. But, it must be said, that he played mostly through the midfield, rather than off half-back (and a few people noticed this). I think keeping Cripps in the side for next week would be a good idea, simply because of how he can affect the rest of the team; specifically Gilbert. If Cripps does maintain his spot, he should be played almost exclusively on the HBF, and we should have Gilbert running through the midfield for the entire game (except when he drops back to ease the pressure on our tall defenders).

This will give Cripps time to develop in his ideal role, whilst ensuring Gilbert can play in a more suitable position. I think this opportunity needs to be taken now, as there won't be a vacant HBF position for too much longer, with Gwilt ahead of schedule, and Geary playing well.

You could drive a UD Truck through my logic in missing that one. It's just good to see the boys from the Linen House Centre keep the Jeld-Wen premiership window open. I'll certainly stay more Call Active in monitoring all the videos from now on.

:eek::D

Good to see you're viewing things through your Ted Baker rose coloured glasses.

Coaches' votes Rnd 2

St. Kilda vs G Coast

8 Ablett (GC)

8 Goddard (St K)

8 Riewoldt (St K)

2 Armitage (St K)

2 Hayes (St K)

2 Steven (St K)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches' votes Rnd 2

St. Kilda vs G Coast

8 Ablett (GC)

8 Goddard (St K)

8 Riewoldt (St K)

2 Armitage (St K)

2 Hayes (St K)

2 Steven (St K)

Looks about right.

Coaches' votes Rnd 2

St. Kilda vs G Coast

8 Ablett (GC)

8 Goddard (St K)

8 Riewoldt (St K)

2 Armitage (St K)

2 Hayes (St K)

2 Steven (St K)

No-one could sneak a vote in for #32?

Good to see Armo getting played in his rightful position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2 v Gold Coast, Sunday Evening @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back