Round 2 v Gold Coast, Sunday Evening @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure why there's all this hate on Koschitzke right now. He did well at a ground that is not kind to KPF's, and the wind wouldn't have helped either. Not to mention the delivery - you can't do much when the ball is rarely coming in, and when it does it's coming in poorly.

I'm reasonably confident in saying that if his efforts were more spread over the course of the game, rather than primarily in the first quarter, these things wouldn't be said. Honestly, I don't care when a player has good input, so long as it is an acceptable amount. The way some of you guys are carrying on, you'd be annoyed if Kosi kicked 6 in a quarter then did nothing for the rest of the game.
The fact is, he kicked 3 goals in a relatively low scoring game, on a ground which is terrible for forwards, and with disgusting delivery from the midfield. He did well, and just because it was mostly in the first quarter doesn't make a difference.

For starters our full forward can't seem to take a contested mark.
He's 30 years old.
He once had 23 disposals , it was 2005.

Our young guns are now the elderly cits of the footy world.
Lenny - No one will fill his boots but in a couple of years when he goes we will have young mids to replace him.
Blake/Fisher. All we have are Gwilt and Simpkin at the moment. We need to get games into Simpkin. Blake is the obvious first choice for retirement.

Milne. Finding players who can step into his role seems to have been a goal last draft.

Kosi/Riewoldt Replacing Kosi would seem to be step one. Would be interesting to see if Wilkes can fill the hole for at least the short term.

i gotta feeling that the team won't be changed much at all, if at all. Perhaps Ray for his poor job on Rodan but other than that no idea.

i gotta feeling that the team won't be changed much at all, if at all. Perhaps Ray for his poor job on Rodan but other than that no idea.

Why would anyone think that Ray would do a good job on Rodan?

Maybe its time for Scott to stop learning how the boys take their Coffee and learn how they play their footy.

Dean Polo can accept 1 match for rough conduct against Danyle Pearce.

So Polo will have to go out anyway...

With Schneider injured, maybe Siposs is the one we give a chance in this game, if his knee is OK. Would like to bring Curren in, but I don't think that's possible...

Either way, two definite outs in Ray and Polo, and most likely a definite in in Siposs. If Ray gets another week, I'd be speechless.

Ray is the real disappointment for mine. Came on fresh when everyone else was buggered. He had a real opportunity to impact the game and get us over the line. Instead he ended up with 2 possessions and 1 free kick against. He didn't even lay a single tackle. Not good enough for a player that pulls on the St Kilda jumper, let alone a senior player. Must go IMO.

In: Simpkin, Ledger and Ross
Out: Blake, Ray and Polo

Wilkes kicks a bag of goals for Claremont the second half of 2011 (44 in 10 games), awarded the medal for BOG in the WAFL GF won by Claremont (bags 5).

Right he's FF for the next month..!!

He's strong overhead, very good below his knees & can apply pressure ( kozzie simply cannot)

Kozzie is also undisciplined & time & time again he gives away soft free kicks.. but deserves another crack over the next fortnight..

In particular i fancy Koz prefers Etihad nowadays as his favourite ground..

There'll be at least four changes as Watters alluded in his post match interview..

"Winning contested possesion has been an issue, not just the pre-season ,but over the last twelve months. It remains firmly on our agenda.
WE WILL FIND PLAYERS TO CHANGE THAT.."

Apply this statement to selection &

In: Ledger, Ross, Wilkes, Simpkin

Out: Ray, Polo, Peake, Armitage,

The team for R2 should read..

B: Geary, Simpkin, Blake,
HB:Montagna , Fisher, Dempster,
C: Hayes, Dal Santo, Ledger,
HF: Milera, Riewoldt, Stanley,
F:Milne, Wilkes, Steven
R: McEvoy, Goddard, Jones,
Int: Gilbert, Ross, Koschitzke, Cripps (Sub)

Watters will make a statement this week..

Carn the Saints

Ray is the real disappointment for mine. Came on fresh when everyone else was buggered. He had a real opportunity to impact the game and get us over the line. Instead he ended up with 2 possessions and 1 free kick against. He didn't even lay a single tackle. Not good enough for a player that pulls on the St Kilda jumper, let alone a senior player. Must go IMO.

In: Simpkin, Ledger and Ross
Out: Blake, Ray and Polo

Disagree with Blake out. He's essentially a KPP now with ******** Dawson gone. Blake stays

Ledger in for sure. I'm stuffed if I know why he didn't play against port.
Ray has to be dropped. Peak is shite really. Can run but crap under pressure.
Wilkes in. Siposs should get a game knee permitting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilkes kicks a bag of goals for Claremont the second half of 2011 (44 in 10 games), awarded the medal for BOG in the WAFL GF won by Claremont (bags 5).

Right he's FF for the next month..!!

He's strong overhead, very good below his knees & can apply pressure ( kozzie simply cannot)

Kozzie is also undisciplined & time & time again he gives away soft free kicks.. but deserves another crack over the next fortnight..

In particular i fancy Koz prefers Etihad nowadays as his favourite ground..

There'll be at least four changes as Watters alluded in his post match interview..

"Winning contested possesion has been an issue, not just the pre-season ,but over the last twelve months. It remains firmly on our agenda.
WE WILL FIND PLAYERS TO CHANGE THAT.."

Apply this statement to selection &

In: Ledger, Ross, Wilkes, Simpkin

Out: Ray, Polo, Peake, Armitage,

The team for R2 should read..

B: Geary, Simpkin, Blake,
HB:Montagna , Fisher, Dempster,
C: Hayes, Dal Santo, Ledger,
HF: Milera, Riewoldt, Stanley,
F:Milne, Wilkes, Steven
R: McEvoy, Goddard, Jones,
Int: Gilbert, Ross, Koschitzke, Cripps (Sub)

Watters will make a statement this week..

Carn the Saints

The team looks too tall mate.

Simpkin competing against Blake and Wilkes with Kosi. I like the inclusions of Ross and Ledger. In their short careers both have shown they love to contest.

Disagree with Blake out. He's essentially a KPP now with ******** Dawson gone. Blake stays

He was serviceable however made the same ol' mistakes. He doesnt have the run and carry that Gilbert and Fisher have so he's the one to make way for Simpkin who is demanding a game.

He was serviceable however made the same ol' mistakes. He doesnt have the run and carry that Gilbert and Fisher have so he's the one to make way for Simpkin who is demanding a game.

He was credited with a lot of 1%'s. These are things that could have turned into opposition goals if he didn't do anything, and you know what?
No one would think any the worse of him if he didnt do them.

I think Fisher spent too much time playing as a key backman, and I'd like to see Simpkin come in to free him up.

Would it be the ideal week to send Rooey to the goalsquare?
He hasn't shown the mobility he once had to play up the ground and against a backline missing Bock, I really think he could tear them apart, moreso than Kurt Tippet did on the weekend..
Everyones thoughts?

Would it be the ideal week to send Rooey to the goalsquare?
He hasn't shown the mobility he once had to play up the ground and against a backline missing Bock, I really think he could tear them apart, moreso than Kurt Tippet did on the weekend..
Everyones thoughts?

I thought that we were playing him up the ground because he was no good in the goal square.

I made the trip on the weekend, and was close to ground level.

Jones was awful - just so slow from hand to foot.

Steven spread well, got plenty of it, and sprayed almost all of it. He needs to work on his kicking, a la Sam Mitchell, who is now a wonderful kick.

Peake was far from our worst, but fumbled too much.

Milera was fantastic, and Geary was hard at it.

Stanley worked into the game, but still needs confidence.

Polo is already out, so Ledger comes in to replace him.

The other change would be Siposs for Ray. Armitage and Jones walking on very thin ice indeed.

Spot on Benchy needs to be subbed off. Yes Kosi kicked what 2 or 3 goals from 6 disposals, BUT he got 90% those in opening 20mins of the game & then went missing yet again.

But I guess he plays a "role" and crashes packs... Stanley is much better 2nd ruck & we have Blake (although he shld b dropped) if we need another ruck.

Would love to see Wilkes given game up forward in place of Kosi and see what he can do. Just sick of team carrying him.

Disagree on Blake. He stays. Was giving away a bit and used his angles well to take some intercept marks. Simpkin to come in potentially to relieve Dempster and free up Fisher for the forced out of Polo. Ledger in for Ray.

Also on Kosi, the Saints scored 5 goals from marks on the weekend of which Kosi had 3. Don't think that's being carried. It's a meaningful contribution. Certainly you'd love for him to do more but to bring in Wilkes for a guy who's kicked 3 goals is a tad extreme.

We've all established our opinions on players over the journey.

Scott though, he hasn't had that opportunity yet.

Let him work through the list, he has indicated that is what he is doing. No need to panic that he is playing the 'same old' because it's really not like that. Scott, Pelchen, most of the assistants, have been busy at other clubs and would not have formed any opinions on players.

Which is good, for those who have lacked opportuntity, and not so good for those who didn't use Sunday as a means to force their way into his thinking going forward.

So IMO, I would make the following changes.

Outs
Polo (susp)
Peake
Ray

Ins
Ledger
Siposs (if OK)
Saad

Saad should replace Polo and have an opportunity to play the harrassing forward that applies defensive pressure, but who (and most importantly) has goal smarts.

Milera should be tried in the Peake type role

Ledger into the middle, Siposs to play as a mix of outside mid/forward, and Cripps to sub

Isn't this fun ;)

How can Siposs be in?

He had all pre-season to cement himself in the lineup and came up short by not getting into the final 22 for Round 1. Injured himself early doors at Sandy. Playing him this week doesn't suggest he's earnt his spot compared to Ross, Archer or Simpkin.

We've all established our opinions on players over the journey.

Scott though, he hasn't had that opportunity yet.

Let him work through the list, he has indicated that is what he is doing. No need to panic that he is playing the 'same old' because it's really not like that. Scott, Pelchen, most of the assistants, have been busy at other clubs and would not have formed any opinions on players.

Which is good, for those who have lacked opportuntity, and not so good for those who didn't use Sunday as a means to force their way into his thinking going forward.

So IMO, I would make the following changes.

Outs
Polo (susp)
Peake
Ray

Ins
Ledger
Siposs (if OK)
Saad

Saad should replace Polo and have an opportunity to play the harrassing forward that applies defensive pressure, but who (and most importantly) has goal smarts.

Milera should be tried in the Peake type role

Ledger into the middle, Siposs to play as a mix of outside mid/forward, and Cripps to sub

Isn't this fun ;)

I dont like it.

Milera did a great job as a forward on Sunday, let him learn this role, its one we've been crying out for.

But then do we really need Siposs and Saad ( neither who are really pushing for selection )?

I think everyone's of the view that the Port Adelaide match was, to some degree, lost at the selection table.

Siposs is a unique player on our list.

He is an excellent kick, something only a handful of our players can say truthfully.

He is a medium forward. I think only Daniel Markworth can say this on the St Kilda list currently.

He attacks the goals - rather than go to a player in a marginally better position. We need guys who take the game on.

Siposs not only ticks boxes, he ticks boxes nearly everyone else on the list doesn't tick.

I would not have described Dean Polo's, Clint Jones' or Farren Ray's pre-season in positive terms, and they got games. Remember Watters said birth certificates counted for little? Time to show it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2 v Gold Coast, Sunday Evening @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back