Round 2 v Gold Coast, Sunday Evening @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

seriously guys the same arguments come up again and again.. the coach is the coach is the coach.. no amount of whining is going to change that.. imo bad umpiring cost us the last match.. this week the umpiring still wasnt at its best but it was better than last weeks.. watters is a new coach with a new team and he'll need time.. today was good and what we had expected but to actually do it by so much is a great sign. Promising signs by nearly our whole squad including the youngsters (and Milera!) is also a great thing also. Time to pat ourselves on the back and prepare for next week.

I'm not gonna look through the archives but I distinctly remember you saying to sack him.
Whatever, I couldn't care less anyway.

No, I didn't.

Why did Hamish Hartlett get so many uncontested kicks off their half-backline?

Why did we play the zone with a three goal wind in the final quarter?

Why did we have Stanley and McEvoy in their forward 50 in the final quarter?

Why didn't we use the wind?

It only cost the team 4 points.

You told me to shut up.

If you don't want to talk about the strategy of the game then it is now time for you to shut up.

Or go and join your stoner friends like your avatar!

No, I didn't.

Why did Hamish Hartlett get so many uncontested kicks off their half-backline?

Why did we play the zone with a three goal wind in the final quarter?

Why did we have Stanley and McEvoy in their forward 50 in the final quarter?

Why didn't we use the wind?

It only cost the team 4 points.

You told me to shut up.

If you don't want to talk about the strategy of the game then it is now time for you to shut up.

Or go and join your stoner friends like your avatar!
I'm not going to continue this childish argument, I'm just going to say that I literally lol'd that you based an insult on my avatar which is a high towel from South Park, which apparently means that I have "stoner friends".
Good job buddy :eek::thumbsu:

What else did I say you selective quoting saintsrfreak?

You want me to dig it up from the archives and post it?

Kicking with a 2-3 goal wind down by 5 points at 3/4 time and playing two rucks in the backline when their Newbie Ruck is subbed.

Watters cost us 4 points last week.

Get over it saintsrfreak.

Beating a development team that has been in the league for one season by 92 points is great.

I'm not complaining about today but last week any Saints fan with any idea about the game would have to be livid with the result.

Makes a big difference when you get some decent umpires that aren't influenced by the home crowd. Can't blame Watters for the shit umpiring we copped last week.

Fantastic performance today, loved the ruthless way we put put the foot on Gold Coast's throat in the 2nd half after wasting our dominance in the 2nd quarter.

I know the Gold Coast aren't the toughest opposition we'll face this year but our more attacking style of play was great to watch and Watters has to get credit for that.

Everyone contributed but it was the performance of our young players that was the best part of our win. Milera, Stanley, Cripps, Steven, Geary, Armitage, Simpkin, Ledger and McEvoy were all in our best players. Again you have to give credit to Watters for showing some faith in our youth, something that was lacking with Lyon, and we're already reaping the rewards.

Shouldn't get too carried away just yet but I'm a lot more excited about this year then I was last week.

This place is becoming SS-like with the personal attacks on other posters. Let's try to remember we're all Saints fans here guys.

Not sure how long we can continue to persist with the four talls in Roo, Kosi, Macca and Stanley with guys like Gram and Schneider to come back in as well as Wilkes kicking goals in the VFL and Siposs who you'd think would be pushing for selection sooner rather than later. I'd prefer to see only three talls with whoever the FF is other than Riewoldt giving Macca a rest in the ruck. I think we've probably got one too many talls in the backline as well.

IMO we need to take out one of the talls from each end and replace them with a smaller, quicker running HB/F. That way we're quicker all over the ground with better ball users and our ability to put on pressure increases dramatically.

Was nice to see the goals pile on. Loving the change in the gameplan that actually has us trying to kick goals.

What you "distinctly" remember may not actually warrant any distinction? :D:thumbsu:

You do realise that Watters coached Subiaco to a couple of premierships in the WAFL?

The guy is no mug and the sign of a good coach is how his team responds to a disappointing loss and we responded well today. You were quick to criticise Watters last week so how about handing out some praise for him when we have a good win like we did today.

You do realise that Watters coached a couple of premierships in the WAFL with Subiaco?

The guy is no mug and the sign of a good coach is how his team responds to a disappointing loss and we responded well today. You were quick to criticise Watters last week so how about handing out some praise for him when we have a good win like we did today.

I thought I already had today Plugger. I posted Well Done Mr.Watters.

His coaching last week was abysmal though.

Hope it doesn't cost us a top four spot. :(

I thought I already had today Plugger. I posted Well Done Mr.Watters.

His coaching last week was abysmal though.

Hope it doesn't cost us a top four spot. :(

OK I stand corrected.

Still think the umpires and our players were more abysmal last week than Watters coaching.

This place is becoming SS-like with the personal attacks on other posters. Let's try to remember we're all Saints fans here guys.

Indeed, sad to see. The freaky one is entitled to an opinion, and, those of us who may disagree with parts of it must make the attempt to engage with respect to said opinion. How it has degraded makes me sad that I disagreed with him.

Not sure how long we can continue to persist with the four talls in Roo, Kosi, Macca and Stanley with guys like Gram and Schneider to come back in as well as Wilkes kicking goals in the VFL and Siposs who you'd think would be pushing for selection sooner rather than later. I'd prefer to see only three talls with whoever the FF is other than Riewoldt giving Macca a rest in the ruck. I think we've probably got one too many talls in the backline as well.

Siposs seems to have Kosi's problem in that he fades, if you read the reports our man Squiz gave from the Sandy game you'll find sentiments expressed re this and backed up by everyones well informed buddy thunda as the two who would know about how these kids go when they aren't in the mainstream publics eye. Wilkes also isn't a shorty, whilst he can play "shorter" than Kosi, so it'll be persisting with 4 talls with his inclusion if you go merely by heights. Depending on how well Macca runs out games, and that Watters is on record as saying he'll rest everyone at some stage to try and keep them cherry ripe, you'd assume we'll try 3 talls + Macca when it suits and rotate through one of them over the course of the season. (ie Rooey for 2 weeks, Kosi for 2 weeks, Stanley for 2 weeks being rested for a runner)

IMO we need to take out one of the talls from each end and replace them with a smaller, quicker running HB/F. That way we're quicker all over the ground with better ball users and our ability to put on pressure increases dramatically.

From the looks of it were still trying to find a size that fits us, I think we have to persist with the three talls whilst our kicking skills are rather "lofted" (ie missing targets) as they are in prime position to clunk them overhead than a small is and we continually break down around half forward when we're down. If we do then need to try and fit this size, at least until around round 10, we should be dropping a backman, Blake, Gilbo, Fisher, the "taller" backmen of which the first two are primary suspects, to then create that extra running option.

Okay mates, let me just say that I love everyone on this board, we're all saints here.
I can just get a bit heated during discussion but let's remember that at the end of the day I have no hard feelings towards anyone.
Now let's carry on with praise of the saints :D:thumbsu:

Okay, my weekly rambling thoughts:

1. Lenny Hayes you magnificent bastard. You have no idea how good it is to have you back.

2. Goddard and Riewoldt seem to have bounced back from their patchy 2011 form.

3. Durk herp derr hurr Gary Ablett 132 disposals derpa durk hurr. Also he's a waste of organic matter.

4. Our cherished young trio has come along leaps and bounds over the preseason. Armitage, Steven and McEvoy absolutely tore it up.

5. This game should really lay to bed the experts constantly saying we have no young talent. Cripps, Simpkin, Newmes, Ledger, Geary and Stanley were all very good. Sure, against Gold Coast, but they outplayed the Gold Coast youth, who are sort of earmarked for a future dynasty.

6. Milera is the mature aged recruit of the season.

7. Montagna and Dal Santo were just cruising. It's nice to know you kept something in the tank after a big win.

8. Also, ****ing seriously, if Ablett gets Brownlow votes for that self serving, conceited tripe of a performance... disgusting example to the Suns young players to have him up on a pedestal as captain. I'm sick of the myth of that arseh*le being one the of the best players in the competition.

9. Jason Blake. Still got it.

10. How good is Fisher? Gotta love him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3. Durk herp derr hurr Gary Ablett 132 disposals derpa durk hurr. Also he's a waste of organic matter.

8. Also, ****ing seriously, if Ablett gets Brownlow votes for that self serving, conceited tripe of a performance... disgusting example to the Suns young players to have him up on a pedestal as captain. I'm sick of the myth of that arseh*le being one the of the best players in the competition.

I know this is your opinion and your allowed to have it but tbh, you couldn't be further from the truth. Ablett is a champ. He gets the hard ball and tackles(contrary to popular belief). 20 contested possessions tonight proves that. He doesn't get 40 touches and loads of handball receives because his team mates look for him every time they have it, he gets them because he works so hard that he gets to every contest and works hardest for the ball. Yes, I agree that he dives too much, but tbh, so does our captain. GAJ is a champ, do doubt about it.

Yep, Ablett is one of the greats of the game. I didn't think that while he was at Geelong because of the great team that could feed him the ball around him, but since he's gone to the Gold Coast and kept that same level of performance you have to acknowledge that he's a champion.

Okay, my weekly rambling thoughts:

1. Lenny Hayes you magnificent bastard. You have no idea how good it is to have you back.

He's back. Great to have some hardness and elegant movement back into the square.

Most of the Saints detractors forget just how brilliant a footballer he is.

You were great tonight Lenny.

Indeed, sad to see. The freaky one is entitled to an opinion, and, those of us who may disagree with parts of it must make the attempt to engage with respect to said opinion. How it has degraded makes me sad that I disagreed with him.

Siposs seems to have Kosi's problem in that he fades, if you read the reports our man Squiz gave from the Sandy game you'll find sentiments expressed re this and backed up by everyones well informed buddy thunda as the two who would know about how these kids go when they aren't in the mainstream publics eye. Wilkes also isn't a shorty, whilst he can play "shorter" than Kosi, so it'll be persisting with 4 talls with his inclusion if you go merely by heights. Depending on how well Macca runs out games, and that Watters is on record as saying he'll rest everyone at some stage to try and keep them cherry ripe, you'd assume we'll try 3 talls + Macca when it suits and rotate through one of them over the course of the season. (ie Rooey for 2 weeks, Kosi for 2 weeks, Stanley for 2 weeks being rested for a runner)

From the looks of it were still trying to find a size that fits us, I think we have to persist with the three talls whilst our kicking skills are rather "lofted" (ie missing targets) as they are in prime position to clunk them overhead than a small is and we continually break down around half forward when we're down. If we do then need to try and fit this size, at least until around round 10, we should be dropping a backman, Blake, Gilbo, Fisher, the "taller" backmen of which the first two are primary suspects, to then create that extra running option.
I have been taking notice of the Zebras thread and I saw a few comments made about Siposs fading out which isn't great. What I'm seeing so far though is three talls almost all game in our forward line even if it's Macca resting there plus a ruckmen and it hurts our ability to apply pressure. I just think with the sub rule now the role of backup ruckmen having a spot cemented is gone because most teams would rather be rotating three midfielders off the bench. Another thing I don't agree with is that if we're going to go with the four talls then we should be subbing one of them off. Not sure why a small guy has to come out for one to come in but I think Watters will adjust that eventually.

Having all these options is a great thing to have though. With all the mids/HB and HF talent we have coming through in addition to what we already have I just don't think we can afford to carry one or two extra talls.

I agree that simply swapping Kosi for Wilkes leaves us with the same problem so Wilkes is probably going to have to wait until Rooey retires or an injury to get a game unfortunately.

I agree that simply swapping Kosi for Wilkes leaves us with the same problem so Wilkes is probably going to have to wait until Rooey retires or an injury to get a game unfortunately.

Wilkes is a thumping kick. When we go to Perth, Adelaide or Brisbane he might be a nice in to have. Given the injuries we have had in the past.

Can't wait for Gwilt to comeback.

Whilst disappointed with the treatment that Kosi got from the umpires early, this is nothing new and shows no signs of changing. He was very quiet in the third (2 handballs only), but did OK in the last. The 3 talls seem to be working a little better together, and hopefully it will improve as the season progresses (and Rhys gains in confidence and a bit cleaner below his knees).

On Rhys, as much as I like him, he's gotta stop automatically looking for Riewoldt when he gets the ball. And he let Roo in to mark in front of him - and he proceeded to miss! Otherwise a very good game though - 18 possessions, 7 marks, and 2 goals is a very good return (I'm glad some people are starting to see the light with him and Simpkin).

Whilst disappointed with the treatment that Kosi got from the umpires early, this is nothing new and shows no signs of changing. He was very quiet in the third (2 handballs only), but did OK in the last.

What about Kosi in a final?

He clunks a mark. 50 metres out. The team needs a sausage. The man sets up a sizzle! Kosi is the best kick in the team and can take a contested mark and intimidate the opponent. Hats off from me to Kosi tonight. The Silo smasher.

Not getting a whole lot of that post.

Kosi has played in finals before. It's a little bit harder than a game against GC at Etihad (Warnock was struggling to get games at Melbourne?).

He's been serviceable, and I've said before he is a good set shot from range, but hasn't impacted much after half time in games.

Not getting a whole lot of that post.

Kosi has played in finals before. It's a little bit harder than a game against GC at Etihad (Warnock was struggling to get games at Melbourne?).

He's been serviceable, and I've said before he is a good set shot from range, but hasn't impacted much after half time in games.

The man has had his fair share of injuries. He is a good kick and he has enough courage to take the oppositions number 2 defender. Unless of course you think Rhys Stanley is up to it? Kosi is a great player helmet or no helmet! And he is harder than Franklin, Cloke, Dawes, Podsiadly, Kennedy, Brown, Clark, Tippett, Mayne etc... He's just harder! Not as hard as Dietrich or Lockett but just as scary ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2 v Gold Coast, Sunday Evening @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back