Autopsy Round 20, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2061305

TK comfortably best on in the player ratings. Not saying he was actually the clear best on, or even our best, but the hand wringing over Tim Kelly is astonishing. He was a clear asset on the day (again) and we’ve got people acting like they’ll gladly never see him play for us again.

Our list is far, far, too bad to be worrying about a bloke this good.
I reckon the thing which sours people on Kelly is that at least once or twice a game he doesn't go as hard as he should, and that sticks out in peoples memory.

No slower than ginbey with ballmin hand...and less fumbly. And can kick a goal.

Christ we gave chesser 17 games or so and he got nowhere near it.

Given where we are at id like to see culley played the rest of the year before making any decisions on his future.
The difference is ginbey and Chesser have the physical attributes for AFL level. Culley does not and that can’t be changed.

Chesser had more impact on the wing than culley has had in the middle so far and that’s saying something.

But yes he does deserve a few more games.

Rotham

Cannot believe this guy gets games.

Seriously the biggest liability in our team.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
yeah, he is delist material with a captial

go away gtfo GIF

Positives:
  • From a team perspective, we cracked in and had a good go, particularly in the first half and then for 5-10mins of the last quarter.
  • Jack Williams great game and only 64% time on ground too. That is now his new highest player rating in his 25 game career. Imagine he had 75% or more TOG. His score with age and TOG calculated (.01057) is the highest I've observed in the few weeks I've been doing this.
  • TK had his second best game for the season.
  • Standard low possesion game from Petch, but felt he was more involved and dangerous.
  • B.Williams had an hourable game, especially considering his opponents. I am on his case regulalry, most notably for half a$$ed efforts, however, I can comend his effort last night. Took a few nice marks too.
  • H.Edwards another good game. Second highest rated game in his 36 game career.
  • I actually didn't hate Tom Cole up around the ball. Almost looked as though he stepped right in to Liam Duggans shoes for the week.
  • Zane Trew registered a phenomenal 1%. Data says he was on track for a huge game, woud have been second best on ground if he maintained that for anotehr 79%. (Don't take this part too seriously)

Negative:
  • Looked like we had a few pies at half time, lethargic is how I describe that third quarter and it ultimetly cost us the game, even though we were up against it anyway.
  • Unfortunately, we lost to a team that is both younger average age and less experienced than us.
  • Smashed from scores from defensive half (again). WCE: 3.1.19 v Freo 7.4.46. Thats 27 of the 35 points we lost by.
  • Same few names: Darling, Rotham.
  • Cripps did some good things, but then does just as many if not more sub-par things too. Starting to miss/lose grip on tackles he would normally eat up.
  • TK's body language can be horific at times.
  • Oscar Allen we really need more from. I acknoweldge the injury etc. but he looks a shadow of himself so far this season.
  • Hough just not his night, nothing more to see here, we will give him a mulligan

1722135908030.png

Last edited:
Does Daicos argue with the umpire at every stoppage and continue as the ball runs towards the wing in general play?? Umps will give you nothing if all you want to do is argue with them.
It's not giving Harley nothing that is the issue.
It is the fact that the umpires are actively targeting Harley to pay free kicks against him.
Sure, maybe Harley doesn't need to be so lippy, but if you, as an umpire, cannot disassociate between a first-year player being a bit fiery on the field and genuine free kicks then perhaps you are in the wrong caper.

Reuben Ginbey
Looks stronger in the air than a lot of our other defenders, he jumps high and he has a good spoil on him. I really liked his game and the physicality he brought when the ball was near him. I'd prefer he had another crack at being a midfielder but he looks pretty solid and reliable down back when there.
Personally, I think the club sees him as a midfielder in the long term.

Not unusual for kids to start off HB and move into the midfield over time.

We've just had such dire availability over the past couple of years that we've needed to throw him in there from the get go.

It's not giving Harley nothing that is the issue.
It is the fact that the umpires are actively targeting Harley to pay free kicks against him.
Sure, maybe Harley doesn't need to be so lippy, but if you, as an umpire, cannot disassociate between a first-year player being a bit fiery on the field and genuine free kicks then perhaps you are in the wrong caper.

Where does it state a first year player should be umpired differently to any other player types? Harley was getting frees early in the year when he was going about his business.. now he wants to umpire and play when things go against him so he is going to get the thin edge of the wedge until he cuts it out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Where does it state a first year player should be umpired differently to any other player types? Harley was getting frees early in the year when he was going about his business.. now he wants to umpire and play when things go against him so he is going to get the thin edge of the wedge until he cuts it out.

So what you're saying is we shouldn't expect him to be umpired any differently, despite him getting umpired differently?

😮‍💨

Positives:
  • From a team perspective, we cracked in and had a good go, particularly in the first half and then for 5-10mins of the last quarter.
  • Jack Williams great game and only 64% time on ground too. That is now his new highest player rating in his 25 game career. Imagine he had 75% or more TOG. His score with age and TOG calculated (.01057) is the highest I've observed in the few weeks I've been doing this.
  • TK had his second best game for the season.
  • Standard low possesion game from Petch, but felt he was more involved and dangerous.
  • B.Williams had an hourable game, especially considering his opponents. I am on his case regulalry, most notably for half a$$ed efforts, however, I can comend his effort last night. Took a few nice marks too.
  • H.Edwards another good game. Second highest rated game in his 36 game career.
  • I actually didn't hate Tom Cole up around the ball. Almost looked as though he stepped right in to Liam Duggans shoes for the week.
  • Zane Trew registered a phenomenal 1%. Data says he was on track for a huge game, woud have been second best on ground if he maintained that for anotehr 79%. (Don't take this part too seriously)

Negative:
  • Looked like we ha a few pies at half time, letahgic is how I describe that third quarter and it ultimetly cost us the game, even though we were up against it anyway.
  • Unfortunately, we lost to a team that is both younger average age and less experienced than us.
  • Smashed from scores from defensive half (again). WCE: 3.1.19 v Freo 7.4.46. Thats 27 of the 35 points we lost by.
  • Same few names: Darling, Rotham.
  • Cripps did some good things, but then does just as many if not more sub-par things too. Starting to miss/lose grip on tackles he would normally eat up.
  • TK's body language can be horific at times.
  • Oscar Allen we really need more from. I acknoweldge the injury etc. but he looks a shadow of himself so far this season.
  • Hough just not his night, nothing more to see here, we will give him a mulligan

View attachment 2061387
Id prefer to see darling omitted and Jilliams spending more time on ground.

What the hell dude? In the third quarter the game was drifting away with 5 or six goals straight and we are staring down another 10 goal flogging.

Up steps the youngest player on the field, takes on the entire docker team, gets under their skin and knocks a few of them over. Attracted all the attention on himself, fired up our whole team and got us going again. The umpire can GAGF inserting himself like a tool and the resultant melee is on him. Running around with his squeaky voice yelling "WCE is warned", "WCE is warned" while two teams are engaging equally.

The tell was when the AFL broadcast partner goes back to that critical free kick goal and mumbles something like "looks like the two of them were equally involved" then refuses to show it again. As for Harley the absolute LAST thing we should be doing his curbing his aggression. I'd make him captain.

Last edited:

You've got it in reverse mate.

Harley stopped getting frees after other clubs complained about it and he started getting less frees and then the suspension happened and they stopped paying anything to him despite getting scragged and held at every stoppage.

Frustration then set in and he started getting lippy and complaining which he is justified in doing

The way a 19 year old is being targeted by opposition clubs and the umpiring fraternity is a disgrace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell dude? In the third quarter the game was drifting away with 5 or six goals straight and we are staring down another 10 goal flogging.

Up steps the youngest player on the field, takes on the entire docker team, gets under their skin and knocks a few of them over. That fired up our whole team and got us going again. The umpire can GAGF inserting himself like a tool and the resultant melee is on him. Running around with his squeaky voice yelling "WCE is warned", "WCE is warned" while two teams are engaging equally.

The tell was when the AFL broadcast partner goes back to that critical free kick goal and mumbles something like "looks like the two of them were equally involved" then refuses to show it again. As for Harley the absolute LAST thing we should be doing his curbing his aggression. I'd make him captain.
Spot on.
The hatred coming out of the AFL and the umpiring fraternity towards the eagles is disgusting despite us contributing the most money to the bankrupt clubs that wouldn't survive without us.
Nisbett must have really pissed them off when he said no to giving them more money during covid
They are revelling in the state of our club right now and not hesitating in sinking the boots in.

Can't wait until we win another flag in 5 years and tell them all to gagf again.

Plenty of people complain he supports us too much when commentating.
Certainly wasn’t his issue last night. He’s definitely fallen off the wagon.

Or maybe he’s just trying to ingratiate himself to Freo fans and the Fox hierarchy so he keeps his job.

Wouldn’t want to be listening to that crap every home game.

You've got it in reverse mate.

Harley stopped getting frees after other clubs complained about it and he started getting less frees and then the suspension happened and they stopped paying anything to him despite getting scragged and held at every stoppage.

Frustration then set in and he started getting lippy and complaining which he is justified in doing

The way a 19 year old is being targeted by opposition clubs and the umpiring fraternity is a disgrace.

Why is his age in anyway relevant?? He is playing in an adult completion or because of his age should he wear a bib so he can play by different rules??

The kids a gun, our team is crap but he is undoing good work by putting himself in spaces where he is also hurting the team, the game last night, the st kilda game where he gave away a goal downfield for bowling a bloke over after he disposed of the ball…

It being soft or not is irrelevant he shouldn’t be putting himself into those situations to allow decisions to be made against him

Does Daicos argue with the umpire at every stoppage and continue as the ball runs towards the wing in general play??
Just turned on the Richmond v Collingwood game (mid 3rd quarter) and in the first minute of watching Daicos made three separate appeals to the umpires for free kicks. The second time the closest umpire was having none of it so he turned to a different umpire and tugged his guernsey pleading his case. So let's not pretend that Daicos isn't massively invested in this tactic. The only difference is that the umpires have a perceptive bias for Daicos.

Why is his age in anyway relevant?? He is playing in an adult completion or because of his age should he wear a bib so he can play by different rules??

The kids a gun, our team is crap but he is undoing good work by putting himself in spaces where he is also hurting the team, the game last night, the st kilda game where he gave away a goal downfield for bowling a bloke over after he disposed of the ball…

It being soft or not is irrelevant he shouldn’t be putting himself into those situations to allow decisions to be made against him

I'd rather him give away some free kicks even if they cost us goals then have him play a style of game that is out of his character.
We need some mongrel in our team and it out Freo off their game for a while in this one and helped us win the first derby.

He just needs support out there which will get fixed but him changing his game style is not what we want.

Would beau waters have changed his game or Worsfold? No ****ing way

Positive 1) MY NEPHEW KICKED 2.1 in auskickers on the ground yesterday!! The kids 7 years old and is unstoppable. Got skills like a teenager, kicks both feet, check sides, runs rings around the other kids so much they are playing him in with older kids next year.

Positive 2) his dad is a diehard pies supporter and if my nephew gets drafted by the eagles (or anyone but the pies) I will buy him the appropriate jumper with Jxxxxxxx on the back of it. He will have to hang it in the lounge. It will be a fantastic day. The sour looks on his face when I suggest the possibility are just a hint of the angst he would have.

Negatives - nephew by marriage to a family that’s sported olympians, my wife and her sister played under 19s netball for oz, her brother got into Australian institute of sport for 3 sports….. so none of my poxy slow arse dna is involved….. I’m still shit and of course you lot all know it. Reflected glory
Is minimal….

Reid's arguments with the umpire, whether wise or unwise, should have zero bearing on the umpires decision making. That just reeks of petty unprofessionalism on their behalf.

Kelly was good but would have him behind Reid and Yeo who I thought fed him a lot (which is what they should be doing) but he was very clean at ground level and much better than last week.

Our top 3 mids were good, but it was a shootout and Freo's top mids were also good, quite an open game but they had better support after the top 3 and on the outside of the contest.

Hough's worst game probably, I remember 3 or 4 stinking kicks and also Frederick kicked a few goals, although some of these were indefensible due to the way they transitioned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back