Autopsy Round 20, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate Freo don’t give a crap about Harley, they are In their window. 19 or 25 years old they don’t care.

Does it frustrate you to be so constantly and consistently wrong?

All of the Eagle fans in attendance cheered him as he was booed. Was quite surreal to watch a young kid take that all in and go even harder at the Freo mids.

While he had a brain fart and still had some maturing to go, he’s a beaut.

I’m not convinced he’ll stick around (honestly who would that isn’t from here) but gee I’ll enjoy the time we have with him.
Loved how Schoey totally backed him in during the post-match presser.

Said he loved his game, noted the scragging etc he gets, but he just keeps going hard

The new coaching staff really need to spend a decent portion of the pre-season training working on the defensive positioning of our players.

You can excuse the younger players as they are still inexperienced and adapting to the level but a good portion of our senior players are equally as bad at it.

They haven't a clue when or how to hold their positions outside of a contest and cover the exits and when to go in to try and impact the contest and as such, we often leak easy goals in the process.

A good example being in the first half when we had the Dockers locked in our forward half and forced them wide to the boundary line, it was Ryan vs Draper (?) and, all Ryan had to do was hold his position to cover the exit and at best, Freo would have gotten a 50/50 long kick down the line but he chose to go into tackle and didn't impact which resulted in Freo getting a forward entry and a scoring shot.

We do dumb shit like this frequently in every game and probably give away atleast 3-4 goals a game in the process. Need to tighten up in this area if we want to improve next season and beyond.

The new coaching staff really need to spend a decent portion of the pre-season training working on the defensive positioning of our players.

You can excuse the younger players as they are still inexperienced and adapting to the level but a good portion of our senior players are equally as bad at it.

They haven't a clue when or how to hold their positions outside of a contest and cover the exits and when to go in to try and impact the contest and as such, we often leak easy goals in the process.

A good example being in the first half when we had the Dockers locked in our forward half and forced them wide to the boundary line, it was Ryan vs Draper (?) and, all Ryan had to do was hold his position to cover the exit and at best, Freo would have gotten a 50/50 long kick down the line but he chose to go into tackle and didn't impact which resulted in Freo getting a forward entry and a scoring shot.

We do dumb shit like this frequently in every game and probably give away atleast 3-4 goals a game in the process. Need to tighten up in this area if we want to improve next season and beyond.

Yeah stuff like this happens a lot. Whether it's our players getting sucked into the contest leaving the opposition free on the outside. Or then there's the transition from defence to goal and they just go over the top like checkers all the way.

Lots of positives. J Williams--- always rated him but he did some things tonight that only very good players can do. Harley--- we've seen the talent, but now he shown the grit---he was massive. Ginby was good as well, and I continue to be impressed by Maric. Biggest positive was I thought we would get smashed and the game would be unwatchable and was the opposite.
Biggest negative was Trew getting snuffed out early. Was really looking forward to seeing what he could do and if he could perform in a big game.
The other negative was Rotham. I don't understand how he continues to fail despite clearly having a lot of talent. His turnover in the the first quarter was horrible.

Yeah stuff like this happens a lot. Whether it's our players getting sucked into the contest leaving the opposition free on the outside. Or then there's the transition from defence to goal and they just go over the top like checkers all the way.

Whilst there are fitness and tactical issues to fix, I still maintain, there is now a decent foundation of youth we can build off.

Obviously, we still also need to nail our next few drafts but hopefully, the new coaching staff can push forward with the youth and improve us in the process.

Freo fans I at least get, they have to put up with the dogshit West Australian coverage and already have a sizeable chip on their shoulder about…everything really.

It’s the Saints fans last week booing Harley from his first touch I really don’t get. Is this just a thing now? 19 year old on the other team is better than your best five players put together so boo him?

Be a real club and boo everyone for some atmosphere, don’t just pick a rookie and have at him for…reasons. I did like the coward’s punch from Andy Brayshaw, I’ve been assured that you should be deregistered for doing that to a teenager in a derby, so enjoy the holiday. Reid just that little bit tougher in the skull and jaw region, but hopefully they can smooth things over at golf.

Positives:
  • Jack Williams is very good at football.
  • Harry Edwards building nicely. Honestly might simply be time to do a mutually beneficial cash in on Barrass, which is a shame but might work best for all.
  • Goes without saying Harley is a freak.
  • Intent was up which was a nice response from last week. Couldn’t go with a far superior side for the whole game but hardly disgraced ourselves, played some footy and didn’t start random fights. Top four would be the carrot I would have thought, but evidently bragging rights is what fire’s Freo up?
  • Saw more in Hutch today than we have thus far, good work.
  • Ginbey finding a decent amount off halfback these last two weeks, worth persisting with it until season’s end so the new coach has some tape of both roles and can work on whichever they like best.

Negatives:
  • Cole, **** I love how hard he works and his desperation, but he went full butcher too often today. Still think he was one of our standouts on balance, just throws in the back breaker so often.
  • Cripps has had a really poor few weeks. So vital to our work rate and structure but we just need more polish at the small forward spots now. Can’t be a set and forget B22 if we draft well next year.
  • Trew injured instantly, a real shame for a bloke who has never played three games consecutively. Culley gets a decent audition in the midfield and does nothing.
  • Rotham’s done.
  • Genuinely mystified by the treatment of Reid by the umps. Oppo players wanting to make a name for themselves going after a 15 gamer, sure, I sort of get that. The umps letting him get that treatment when we watch what constitutes a free kick for those in certain other jumpers…very odd. Will clearly work in his favour in the long term but very confusing in the short term.
  • heck we need a tap ruckman. Thought Bailey was decent today all things considered, worked his ass off physically and clunked a few down the line which is required if you can’t control the stoppages. But ****ing hell, we need a ruckman who can tap the ball. English need not apply, the one bloke I’d trust less than Bailey at a contest.

Positive - just watched Jarrad Schofield’s presser. Man he spoke so passionately about Harley and how proud he was of how well he played and that he played right on the edge.

Legit looked fired up and ready to fight campaigners right there in the press conference room!

Edit - from 3:40 mark

Yep, I love Schofield. I would be okay with him getting the gig.

Does it frustrate you to be so constantly and consistently wrong?

Sorry to tag you in here Bender..
Re Harley comments from GWS, a bloke that has coached at high levels apparently
Of course you pay attention to Harley.
Yeo/Harley tore Freo apart in 1st derby.
To pay no attention to that as a side in top 4 contention, or anywhere on the ladder, as a coaching unit would be ludicrous
If you're not putting any attention into that as a coach, you are not doing your job...& GWS would likely be calling for your head immediately.
J Schofield very impressive in the post match interview. Really love the 'playing on the edge" drive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schofield wasn’t neutral, he was so biased for Fremantle that he was swinging off the pitch.

Wonder whether he has a bee in his bonnet about his mate Barrass trying to renegotiate his contract.

Don’t like ex WC players who are rats.
Been pretty bad all year. I get he tried to be impartial but he goes the other way too much. It’s hard to listen too.

Definitely a TB and manager mouth piece.

Pos +
Ginbey- Looks comfortable and add something. Be interesting to see what the coaches do with him in the off season.

The Edwards and Williams pillars- Great finds this year. Both late picks, Just proves why you cut deadwood.

Mids- these are the sort of numbers they should be getting. That was a real midfield performance even if they got run over. Need to add some spread and pace in their now.

Derby with spice- sounds like it will get a National promotion and telecast next year and so it should. Especially if this is the viewing we will get.

Hunt back in form and proving why if you have a player who can fill a role and can get them for free or cheap why you do it despite their age. We have plenty of holes to fill and can easily turnover the bottom 5-6 spots of your best 23 with players outside our current squad from Draft/Trade and FA that would instantly make us better now and in the future.

Neg
Land of Giants- why?

Johnston held over when he should be getting games at some level no matter what. Especially after a bye last week.

The delist list is standing up. Not sure any of them got themselves off it.

The bottom 6-7 having minimal impact. I think we would be the worse for it in the afl.

Unfortunately Harley will continue to get that treatment. has brought it on himself largely. has shown you can get under his skin and he will give away free kicks.
As long as he gets them too. Can’t be one way traffic from the umps and Eagles need to go to the afl with vision

Williams (forward) looks like he is a find up forward which is a big deal for the future.

Oscar Allen paired with him will be great if he can get an injury free run through a preseason and through the season.

Liam Ryan looks like he has lost some pace and his finish wasn't the same sublime place I feel like it usually is, or has been.

Good luck through the rest of the year!
Funnily enough he actually kicked his set shots last night but Ryan's field kicking, although still sometimes mercurial is becoming less consistent.

Another game where watching Tim Kelly annoyed me.

You look at the stat sheet and it screams good game, and yet he has once again been frustrating. I really don't know what it is about him that always gives the impression he's done **** all?

Perhaps it's hard ball he doesn't get, which is quite different from normal contested possessions. Bit like Daicos.

I feel like Kelly skates on the back of Yeo and Reid doing all the heavy lifting... Which is totally fine, IF you're actually damaging with the ball. Which he isn't.

He should be getting off the chain. He isn't tagged, all the attention is on Reid. Yeo is a bull and really can't do much more... Which leaves Kelly. The AA superstar Brownlow runner up we paid a the king's ransom for.

It's probably not fair, but it's just initial thoughts. Cripps being an absolute potato and Darling clearly needing to retire, are the other 2 initial thoughts.
1000% this. Shits me to tears. Cheeser could play his role.

Ive said it on the trade thread and I'll say it again. Trade him to a team in a premiership winder that needs a down hill skier and get a decent pick for him now.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately Harley will continue to get that treatment. has brought it on himself largely. has shown you can get under his skin and he will give away free kicks.

At least he has stopped playing for frees shuey-style. Reckon Schofield had a word.

He does need to be better at keeping his feet when he doesn’t have the ball but someone pushes or slightly bumps him.

and he need to stop bumping himself but rather tackle. Could have had a couple of players holding the ball had he chosen to tackl .

But it’s his 1st year, he has a lot of improvement left in him. Can’t wait for moral revisionism come Monday from dockers supporters on racism and booing. Pick one:

1. You do it.
2. It wasn’t many.
3. What about the drugs?

+ve
Reid, ginbey, J Williams, H Edwards The Future

Yeo big brother highlights we needs some mid 20s player on our list that can provide mature bodies and heads. This is why I am open to baker, cumming and English.

-ve
Rotham cost us 3 goals in the first half that could've put a decent scoreboard pressure differential at the half. Rotham costs us every ****ing week. Turnover merchant. Scared of the contests and shits himself with imaginary footsteps.

L Edwards shows bits and pieces lulling you into a false sense of security and then goes missing for the remaining 3/4.

I was on the fence about Culley until last night. His lack of pace was exploited and serong carved us up in the third quarter. On the inside where he is supposed to excell he was sloppy with the ball and fumbled at moment he should have cleared the ball.

TK running down hill and walking uphill. Time to trade him while he has value.

BW getting smashed in the ruck and offering nothing else around the ground is the case for English.

Cripps has become a liability but we need his leadership so happy for him to play Magoo's next year

Darling offered us nothing. Yet again we chose old height and big slow body over speed and youth. Dewar or Johnson should be in his place.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back