Votes: 34 19.3%
  • Hawks by 25+

Votes: 74 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem for us (apart from Hawthorn being possibly the best team in the comp) is that we've played the last four games on smaller grounds which helps the defensive game style Scott has been playing. This game will be at the MCG so the wider flanks will test our fitness for sure. Stopping Hawthorn's outside run is one of the keys to beating them, but easier said than done. I think we can go into this game feeling a bit more optimistic than we might have a month ago, but on paper you'd think the Hawks have us covered at this stage. It'll be interesting to see if they play them like Richmond did a few weeks ago. Tough game ahead.
If we can get out of the blocks hard next week, and get our outside run going, hopefully the Hawks will be too busy chasing us to get their own game organised. Get a good first quarter lead, then keep the pressure on them and don't let them back in the game. We are the best first quarter team- we must start well!

We have winners on every line- or players who are capable of beating their opponent. If enough players can get on top, we can crack those nuts (apologies, Pops).

Things are starting to come together for the boys- the more they train and play as a team, the better they will be. This is how I hoped they could be earlier this year, but I hadn't factored in the effect of so many new personnel, and I never imagined we would've had such an extensive injury list.

Win or lose, I'd love the boys to give it a good shake and rattle those Hawks. Would prefer the win, obviously. :D

Structure, I don't want us to play 4 KPDs, and Kolodjashnij performance has been very good, so I can't see them dropping him. Kind of a reverse of the situation between them earlier in the year.

With Jimmy playing a lot of game time down back , I can't see Bews getting a call up.

In Johnson Kersten
Out Stokes Cockatoo

Sub Anyone but GHS
I can't see Kersten getting a call up for this one Lana. With SJ coming back in I think they'll leave Kersten out and opt for an extra runner to provide more defensive pressure.

What I wouldn't give for a win this week... they are the arch nemesis AND it would make it that much harder for them to crack top 2. A Hawthorn 3-peat would be the blackest day in my football life to date.
Aren't you preparing a little 7 day OS or anywhere break where there's no Foxtel early October?

I can't see Kersten getting a call up for this one Lana. With SJ coming back in I think they'll leave Kersten out and opt for an extra runner to provide more defensive pressure.

I don't think this game will be played on our terms, like the game against Sydney was. IMO our strength in the middle was an aberration caused by their weakness in the ruck. The name of our game will be absorbing the pressure from their inside 50s and launching quick counter attacks will long kicks I50, for this to work we're going to need to get Hawkins as many 1 on 1s as possible. The best way to do this is to keep all of there key defenders accountable by forcing them to match up.

Defensive pressure like we did against Sydney only works if the stoppages are to your advantage. Blicavs's going to have a tough day at the office being double teamed by McEvoy and Ceglar.

Yep, but I always think the backline is still the Hawk's most vulnerable point (if they have any), so give them someone else to worry about. Even if Kersten doesn't do much, takes a defender down the ground a bit.

Aren't you preparing a little 7 day OS or anywhere break where there's no Foxtel early October?

I actually live in Spain so I will indeed be away from the action when the Hawks lift the 3-peat cup. But that won't make it any less unbearable talking with Hawthorn supporters in the future, who will undoubtedly view their 4 flag team (erroneously claiming the 2008 premiership to be part of the current incarnation), to be the best group of players since the 80s.

I actually live in Spain so I will indeed be away from the action when the Hawks lift the 3-peat cup. But that won't make it any less unbearable talking with Hawthorn supporters in the future, who will undoubtedly view their 4 flag team (erroneously claiming the 2008 premiership to be part of the current incarnation), to be the best group of players since the 80s.
I'm already preparing for the 4play!
Where in Spain are you? Barcelona by any chance?

I don't think this game will be played on our terms, like the game against Sydney was. IMO our strength in the middle was an aberration caused by their weakness in the ruck. The name of our game will be absorbing the pressure from their inside 50s and launching quick counter attacks will long kicks I50, for this to work we're going to need to get Hawkins as many 1 on 1s as possible. The best way to do this is to keep all of there key defenders accountable by forcing them to match up.

Defensive pressure like we did against Sydney only works if the stoppages are to your advantage. Blicavs's going to have a tough day at the office being double teamed by McEvoy and Ceglar.
I just don't think that they will respect Kersten enough to worry about him. Now, is he dangerous enough to make them pay for it? My opinion is no. At least not at this stage of his career. I reckon that we probably had our quickest side playing on the wknd since the early 2000's and I don't think that Scott is going to want to change that up very much heading into this game.

I also think that unlike previous years, Hawthorn are more susceptible to being scored against once the ball hits the deck rather than being beaten in the air in their D50.

Also FWIW I have a sneaking suspicion that Menzel will be brought in for this game aswell.

Yep, but I always think the backline is still the Hawk's most vulnerable point (if they have any), so give them someone else to worry about. Even if Kersten doesn't do much, takes a defender down the ground a bit.
I think that if you're good enough you can score quite well against the Hawks largely due to the fact that they don't flood back as hard as some other teams tend to do, but I reckon that we're a better chance of beating them with our crumbers than what we are with our talls. I can see both POV's though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we'll win but if we can beat them then the time is now. They'll be coming off a hard fought slog from Perth, we have Steve js 250th, we're playing our best footy of the season. It must be so tempting for us to pull the trigger on Menzel with Clarke still injured. I do worry that they'll put the second man back on Hawkins and walker is too inexperienced to exploit that. I really rate the swans midfield as one of the best and we carved them up last night so our boys are capable of beating their dominant mids. A sub 20'point loss would be a tick in the right direction for me.
I like the option of Rivers forward. Great grab but maybe not so great at making position, though reads it well down back. We HAVE to pin MItchell down as he has killed us for years. I'm not sure I'd play SJ, and certainly would pass on Stokes - others are better options.

I dont expect to win this... the team is still coming together. We lack finish and efficiency... should be a learning experience for the kids.

Menzel for this game? No I don't think so but who knows. He may be ready for a rest and then a return...

Cocky out? Well he is out of his depth but he will get more space V the Hawks

Stokes for SJ seems right.

It will be interesting to see how MC play this tactically as if we really attack I think we could expose their defence and win
I don't see why we'd change playing defensively like we have the last month. A team hasn't scored more than 10 goals against us in that time and I think we'll be trying to choke Hawthorn with defensive pressure much like Richmond and West Coast have done in the last few weeks. Given Hawthorn's return from Perth and the fact we're playing much more accountable high intensity footy than we did for the majority of the season I think we'll give them a really tough contest at the very least. I would bloody love to hurt their hopes of a three-peat by beating them and forcing them to travel first week of the finals, it would be the sweetest of tasty victories.

Given the Hawks have a fairly unconventional mobile mid/small forward line is Cowan ready yet? And what's the deal with Bews?

You could always do this, when you speak to them...
smiley-sick029.gif

Career Bests vs Swans:

Blicavs - Kicks (13).
Cockatoo - Handballs (6), Disposals (10).
Gregson - Marks (7).
Guthrie - Hitouts (2), Tackles(11), Fantasy (117).
Kolodjashnij - Kicks (8), Disposals (15), Marks (4), Tackles (4), F*ckin legendary tackles (1), Fantasy (69).
Lang - Goals (2).
Motlop - Disposals (32).
Selwood - Kicks (20).
Thurlow - Handballs (12).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back