Preview Round 22, 2018: St Kilda v Hawthorn, 18 August 2018, 7.25pm @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else got this weird feeling about this weekend?

Given our losses to Brissy, Sydney/Ronke game and the North game it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we got done this weekend when we are expected to win
I was thinking the same thing but didn’t want to put it out there.

Given our losses to Brissy, Sydney/Ronke game and the North game it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we got done this weekend when we are expected to win

I was thinking the same thing but didn’t want to put it out there.

That horrible thrashing they gave us last year still in the back of your minds? This game is huge. Clarko will have them up.

I feel we are playing too well - in terms of our system, discipline etc. It would require a sharp change in form for both us and the Saints (who have been disgraceful) for us to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing I notice about Hawthorn is their ability to play to the level of the opposition. It's great when playing strong teams but frustrating when playing minnows.
They seem to ease back a gear and it leads to poor disposals and decision making under no pressure. It creates opportunities for sides with their tails up to capitalize - see Brisbane 2018 and Suns 2017. Note sure whether it's a youth, conservation or a Clarko experimentation thing but they can't seem to put the foot on the throat for 100+ thrashings when one is on the cards

Ditto

Saints getting hammered by all and sundry this week. Might come out firing.

However, similar could be said when we played Cartlon....

An upset while possible is highly unlikely. I just don't see us suddenly forgetting the structures, game style and belief we have built up over the past month - while the Saints, who do have talent and potential, will be mainly focused improving their ball use/efficiency and failing that avoiding a 100 point hiding...

The thing I notice about Hawthorn is their ability to play to the level of the opposition. It's great when playing strong teams but frustrating when playing minnows.
They seem to ease back a gear and it leads to poor disposals and decision making under no pressure. It creates opportunities for sides with their tails up to capitalize - see Brisbane 2018 and Suns 2017. Note sure whether it's a youth, conservation or a Clarko experimentation thing but they can't seem to put the foot on the throat for 100+ thrashings when one is on the cards

Yeah but 100 point thrashings are nowhere near as common now because teams flood and strange ball movement. They were never that common in the 2010s anyway, besides from the absolutely elite teams like Hawthorn and Geelong.

Yeah but 100 point thrashings are nowhere near as common now because teams flood and strange ball movement. They were never that common in the 2010s anyway, besides from the absolutely elite teams like Hawthorn and Geelong.

I'll take a good solid win with no injuries and no fear of an upset at any stage.

I feel we are playing too well - in terms of our system, discipline etc. It would require a sharp change in form for both us and the Saints (who have been disgraceful) for us to lose.
This. No way we will lose. Zero chance. Zilch. None. Too much on the line Clarko knows that.

An upset while possible is highly unlikely. I just don't see us suddenly forgetting the structures, game style and belief we have built up over the past month - while the Saints, who do have talent and potential, will be mainly focused improving their ball use/efficiency and failing that avoiding a 100 point hiding...

The game plan and structure will be awful but individual effort will be great from the Saints as they try out in front their next season's head coach.

A lot of chickens being counted early here. Any time I see a game where it looks like we're about to pile on percentage, the opposition comes flying back at us. While Top 4 etc would be awesome, I'll be really happy just to beat the Saints and confirm that we're playing finals this year. Because four or five weeks ago, I was planning September holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back