Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Similar to Battle, we need to either decide he is a number 1 ruck and play him there most of the time, or commit to him being a forward who rucks. It needs to be consistent and not changing on a weekly basis.

This sounds crazy but I'd have him play as a drift back defender like we used too use McEvoy. He's not a huge goal kicker, I think 13 is the most he's ever kicked in a year.

So 7 pages of autopsy mostly filled up with bagging Dunny and not one single mention of Zac Jones.

Great effort all round by the boys. Nearly won it against all the odds, injury to King made it hard, poor game by a few others made it harder.

Not far of it in my opinion - hope the players realise this year was a lost opportunity - if they do we will be finals bound next year

Sign Sharman now, kids gonna be a long term player for us.

Oi...I mentioned Zac. I mentioned him good.

Agree, if they all sign on for less I'd keep them all. So what if they get pushed to depth. One of Crouch, Dunstan etc playing VFL and pushing the weak link out is ideal. Good sides have depth.
Would rather lose one of Dunstan or Ross and pay Billings a fair contract than expect them all to stay for less and risk loosing more than 1 of them.

Bytel is becoming like Tom Curren/Tom Ledger...

It shouldn’t be that hard to force his way in, if he’s good enough.

Along with Howard and Wilkie, Jweb has been essential to our backline this year. I’d play him along Paton if anything next year. He will finish top 10 in BnF this year.

With respect, this was a dumb take.

Mmm... My back 6 would be Howard, Wilkie, Paton, Coffield, Sinclair and Highmore. I can't see how it's dumb, but I'll bookmark it now you've said it haha.
I did say he had a solid year.

I'm old fashion and all about old school toughness playing through injury. but king and Marshall are clearly injured and can't move due to there respected foot and groin concerns. I expect to be blasted for this but maybe give Marshall a little bit of a break he's a great ruckman when his fit and firing on all cylinders. his just had a horror year with his foot. if ryder wasn't out I wouldn't be surprised if Marshall didn't play after last week. as he was limping and rubbing his foot after the game .

2021 in a nutshell.

Best is amazing, worst is listless and foul and we saw both today.

Put a line through Ross, Dunstan & Kent on today's game alone. Taking us nowhere fast.

A lot to like about the list and a lot that needs to make way for the future. Looking forward to the trade/draft period.

Well if Byrnes is the future imagine if he wasn't playing loose but as a more accountable mid. I wonder why the usual model is to surround the kids with experienced players? That's why we have a bunch of guys who go to water when the PTSD comes back to them when shit starts to get serious.

Bytel had the spot but didnt do enough with it. His 16 disposals a match weren't helping us win so he lost his spot like any midfielder continually contributing very little to a side would.

Dunstan banged down the door, got the opportunity and hasn't warranted being dropped.

As sh*t as you continually say Dunstan is, he is still delivering a lot more than Bytel was.
I don't know but the way Dangerfield attacks the ball in the middle few players are better and Dangerfield saved them today - Dunstan gives his all and he didn't have his best day and so did a few others - next year with just growth from with the squad we play finals
Seriously I would keep the list as whole as possible, draft a mid, two NGAs, King fit and we are close to competing with a flag favourite. Not sure why everyone wants to cull half the list. We need depth not to bottom out.
We have culled 3/4s of the squad in 2yrs just about , we can't really afford to lose players in there prime like Dunstan and Billings even if they are not super stars.
This year we will hopefully cull Frawley , Geary , Carlisle , McKernan and of course Roberton gone and apart from them just Hunter and Alabakis.
7 players is usually a normal amount of moves to adjust for retirements and de-listings.
Losing Dunstan and Billings effects our depth as we saw this year , but suppose it was good to get games into Byrne , Connolly , Highmore and now Sharman.

Another point I really was hoping Carlisle would have a good season but it wasn't to be and by the looks we have had no word on his progress so he must be written off.
We have players who can intercept mark but we don't have players who can mark that long bomb from the fullback when we are finding it hard to get it of defense - with Carlisle gone it falls to Marshall and its always good to have a couple good marking targets , its got to the point Ratten been getting Membery moving back there at times.

I really feel if we had a Naughton type or even Moore we would go close to winning a flag.

Mmm... My back 6 would be Howard, Wilkie, Paton, Coffield, Sinclair and Highmore. I can't see how it's dumb, but I'll bookmark it now you've said it haha.
I did say he had a solid year.

Coff had a very inconsistent year, he would not be best 22 this year based on form. We don’t know whether Paton will be back to his best with the injury he had. Highmore has been very good when’s he played.

I’d personally prefer Webster to take the best small, while Paton and Sinclair can create some run and carry with Highmore intercepting. I’d prefer Coff on the wing or bench, I think he has potential in the middle too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would rather lose one of Dunstan or Ross and pay Billings a fair contract than expect them all to stay for less and risk loosing more than 1 of them.

I don't really care to be honest. Seb is probably the most expendable but at least one will go. I think we need to reign in contracts due to overpaying spuds like Hanners and Hill but at least when their contracts end we'll be having a huge war chest.

I don't know but the way Dangerfield attacks the ball in the middle few players are better and Dangerfield saved them today - Dunstan gives his all and he didn't have his best day and so did a few others - next year with just growth from with the squad we play finals
We have culled 3/4s of the squad in 2yrs just about , we can't really afford to lose players in there prime like Dunstan and Billings even if they are not super stars.
This year we will hopefully cull Frawley , Geary , Carlisle , McKernan and of course Roberton gone and apart from them just Hunter and Alabakis.
7 players is usually a normal amount of moves to adjust for retirements and de-listings.
Losing Dunstan and Billings effects our depth as we saw this year , but suppose it was good to get games into Byrne , Connolly , Highmore and now Sharman.

Another point I really was hoping Carlisle would have a good season but it wasn't to be and by the looks we have had no word on his progress so he must be written off.
We have players who can intercept mark but we don't have players who can mark that long bomb from the fullback when we are finding it hard to get it of defense - with Carlisle gone it falls to Marshall and its always good to have a couple good marking targets , its got to the point Ratten been getting Membery moving back there at times.

I really feel if we had a Naughton type or even Moore we would go close to winning a flag.

A premium mid star would be my choice. It's probably crazy to base off this week but seeing Danger take control reminds me of what I'd love. That said even getting killed out of the middle we really lost forward structure without a fit King.

Well if Byrnes is the future imagine if he wasn't playing loose but as a more accountable mid. I wonder why the usual model is to surround the kids with experienced players? That's why we have a bunch of guys who go to water when the PTSD comes back to them when sh*t starts to get serious.
Byrnes is a good little player but realistically he is still a couple years away from his best , same goes with Connolly - the guys who are will be ready are Clark and Gresham - they have to be the ball removers who actually have to use it well.

Well if Byrnes is the future imagine if he wasn't playing loose but as a more accountable mid. I wonder why the usual model is to surround the kids with experienced players? That's why we have a bunch of guys who go to water when the PTSD comes back to them when sh*t starts to get serious.
Byrnes is a good little player but realistically he is still a couple years away from his best , same goes with Connolly - the guys who are will be ready are Clark and Gresham
A premium mid star would be my choice. It's probably crazy to base off this week but seeing Danger take control reminds me of what I'd love. That said even getting killed out of the middle we really lost forward structure without a fit King.
There is only one guy I rate as high as Dangerfield and that's Fyfe - they just win the ball at all costs , I would love to get one of those too but there is not to many in drafts like that.
Saying that hopefully we jag a good player this year.

Our 1st quarter was some amazing football. King Sharman and Members combined very well in the forward half. King must have taken 5 marks in the 1st quarter alone. Steele looked like he would finish with 59 possies.

Unfortunately realistically got pantsed after that.

From looking so on, in the 1st our ball movement was stymied, we were dropping marks, etc.

I can't get over how good Sharman is going. He is a smart footballer. Little things like his block to assist Members mark in the 1st quarter and 1 of the few in our team when running back towards goal, doubles back and hits up at the ball carrier

Similar to Battle, we need to either decide he is a number 1 ruck and play him there most of the time, or commit to him being a forward who rucks. It needs to be consistent and not changing on a weekly basis.

Got to depend on whether Ryder is playing or we manage to find a pure ruckman ( not easy).
At the moment he’s our number 1 ruck. That could change by necessity, although now having Sharman as a second forward means he may not be as necessary. We don’t exactly have any Other choice right now.

a few things are true here. Bytel will be good for us in the future, he didn't do enough for immediate impact in the seniors but showed potential, Dunstan had a ripping month and then decent after. Dunstan's lowered output was still overall more effective than Bytel at that point in the season. With one more preseason Bytel will be ready to take that next step but I hope there's no rewriting of history. He wasn't ready this year but he will be next year. When he plays well next year after the preseason it doesn't retrospectively mean that he was deserving all of this year.

He WILL be a gun next year
Did you see him play at all this year? More than ready.

We're a couple of A grade midfielders short. We've known this for years but haven't been able to do anything about it. That's why hannebry, crouch, Jones et al have been brought in. Problem is they're just not quite good enough to really take it up to the big boys.

We're dying for Clark, Gresham or someone else to compliment Steele in there but this year wasn't the year.

Ruck is strong. The backline is good, and the forward line can be dangerous if we kick straight.

It's just the midfield.

There's always next year, right?

Coff had a very inconsistent year, he would not be best 22 this year based on form. We don’t know whether Paton will be back to his best with the injury he had. Highmore has been very good when’s he played.

I’d personally prefer Webster to take the best small, while Paton and Sinclair can create some run and carry with Highmore intercepting. I’d prefer Coff on the wing or bench, I think he has potential in the middle too.
Yep that's all fair. It's a tight back 6 and my first preference was who I listed. IMO Paton, Highmore and Coffield are that little class above. Webster would be my next in line. You're right with Paton and Coff, I've stated previously that Paton is a worry that he won't be the same player he once was, and Coff was great last year but missed the mark this year. It's purely a first preference. It's a really good situation to be in hey

Nick Riewoldt needs to get off the f***ing couch and teach our forwards how to lead, he used to bark instructions to our forwards when he played.

Put your money where your mouth is Nick, get down to Moorabbin and help us out.

Did you see him play at all this year? More than ready.
I thought he was a bit underused a few weeks back. Now that there's only a game to go, I kind of hope he's left out again, and that he approaches the preseason angry, hungry with a point to prove. Really want to hear his name in the...what's it called? March Flyers or something like that?

If we're to move forward as a team, we need to get rid of Seb Ross and Dunstan. Both massive liabilities on field and just constantly kill momentum, Ross in particular is great at that.
Kent needs to go, hopefully his contract is up I can't remember. Wouldn't mind Webster moving on, too.

None of these guys are game winners, and some are game losers.

Can't even be mad that Billings is injured, I doubt he would have made any difference to tonights game, he's as vanilla as it gets. Time to remove more of Cho's Heroes.
Agree with this. I'd add membrey to the list as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back