Prediction Round 22: Changes Vs West Coast Eagles + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Taberner so underrated on this board still

Treacy is exciting but he's currently half the player of taberner

He is 21 years old, he still has time to grow but Taberner is clearly better player as it stands
Taberner never plays a full season.

This is problematical if your looking to prioritise his selection over someone developing.

It's also problematical from a forward structure/chemistry point of view as the role he plays is so pivotal/seismic for the structure/chemistry up there. Key forward roles really require a lot of stability, which his body is just not up to.

I never said that

Darcy is out so all of them should play this year

I'm talking about next year, we should pick taberner over Treacy when Darcy is fit - if Treacy is clunking marks and kicking goals in the wafl then taberner gets dropped for him if he isn't performing, simple
There's about a dozen issues with picking Tabs over Treacy, so I'll just skip over the "young player and potential" ones:
  • By the start of 2024, the version of Taberner you're talking about wouldn't have existed for almost 2 years. If we get that guy back, I see your case.
  • Worse still, imo we need Tabs to be closer to 2019-20 Tabs, who would go up the ground a lot, get involved in the play and mark high up, coz Amiss to me has to be the deepest fwd.
  • Tabs is both injury prone and slow to recover from injuries. Not a good combination with being 31 by June 2024.
  • Part of the reason our taller fwd line works is everyone's dynamicism. Treacy Jackson Tabs Fyfe didn't work round 1, then we tried Tabs Jackson Amiss and Sturt Jackson Amiss to no real avail (Tabs moved like an iceberg and Sturt matched on a key defender is too bullyable). Having Jackson and Treacy apply as much pressure as our small fwds not named Schultz is a luxury, as is their abilities at ground level and the fact that they make it to so many contests (Tabs is more likely to clunk a contested mark, but also more likely to let an intercept defender get a free run at it).
  • Equally a luxury is having tall fwds that can kick a football. Tabs' field kicking leaves a lot to be desired.
  • (This last part is just opinion but) I see Treacy getting bigger and better next season. Better is just natural progression, but bigger specifically is because he's being asked more and more to play 2nd ruck, partly coz of his follow up work but also because we don't have too many other choices at fwd-ruck not named Jackson. At 195cm he'll never be an adequate first option, but 92kg makes him too bullyable in the ruck contests: it's a wonder he's been as good as he has. I have to assume the natural move is to bulk up.

I’m sorry mate but I personally don’t think Tabs is ever a certainty to nail any shot outside the goal square. God knows I saw him spray shots from close range a lot of times. Just for the record, Tabs is definitely a better player than Corbet but he really should be, considering the number of games he played and number of years in the system.
Nah realistically the classic Tabs is to nail any shot in the pocket, but anything else is questionable - including in the goalsquare.

I would have been fine with him staying at Peel if we could extend his season, think after missing so much footy that the club would think the same (will be super important for us next year)

Unfortunately that isn't possible, so its best to get him back at the elite level ASAP
I’ll say this, if Tabs is going to be super important for us next season then our list is in deep trouble. If Tabs gets the nod over fit and healthy Amiss, Treacy or Sturt at any point in time from here on we have big issues

Taberner so underrated on this board still

Treacy is exciting but he's currently half the player of taberner

He is 21 years old, he still has time to grow but Taberner is clearly better player as it stands
Insanity if you think Taberner should play over Treacy. Either you play both of them or you play Treacy only. There's no situation where Taberner should be in while Treacy sits out.

i would use Tabs as a foil to help Amiss get off the leash after dealing with monsters the last few weeks since LJ went into the middle. Corbett will likely only attract a medium sized defender. Tabs could keep Barrass accountable and turn plenty of intercept marks into ground balls for our smalls.

I don't want Taberner in the ruck and if he is playing forward we either need him running up and down the line for a mark or as the deepest forward so he doesn't lead into the space of the existing forwards. Taberner would barrel over our own guys trying to mark the ball and Treacy blocks for them so they mark nearly uncontested.

If Tabs is playing, it's at the expense of Corbett and hopefully some of those marking contests are halved and won a little more.

I don't want Taberner in the ruck and if he is playing forward we either need him running up and down the line for a mark or as the deepest forward so he doesn't lead into the space of the existing forwards. Taberner would barrel over our own guys trying to mark the ball and Treacy blocks for them so they mark nearly uncontested.

If Tabs is playing, it's at the expense of Corbett and hopefully some of those marking contests are halved and won a little more.

Banfield over Corbett.

Taberner never plays a full season.

This is problematical if your looking to prioritise his selection over someone developing.

It's also problematical from a forward structure/chemistry point of view as the role he plays is so pivotal/seismic for the structure/chemistry up there. Key forward roles really require a lot of stability, which his body is just not up to.
He can just come in and replace Corbett. Won’t dispute the chemistry.
Corbett struggled on any decent sized defender, and is often the target I50, just couldn’t split the contest.

He can just come in and replace Corbett. Won’t dispute the chemistry.
Corbett struggled on any decent sized defender, and is often the target I50, just couldn’t split the contest.
Sooo...massive size KPF does nothing to change forward structure or chemistry? Interesting take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sorry mate but I personally don’t think Tabs is ever a certainty to nail any shot outside the goal square. God knows I saw him spray shots from close range a lot of times. Just for the record, Tabs is definitely a better player than Corbet but he really should be, considering the number of games he played and number of years in the system.
Tabs has been reliable shot for a while now. Better then Switkowski who can’t make 30-40m in front like on the weekend

Sooo...massive size KPF does nothing to change forward structure or chemistry? Interesting take.
He will play more up the ground as the target on the wing. I’m sure Grayham will give him that role and get out of the way.
Corbett has tried to be that target, yet isn’t winning contests. He’s more of a Mayne type leading at the ball, but has no speed or defensive pressure

Taberner is one of the most accurate players in the AFL over the past few years

I’ll say this, if Tabs is going to be super important for us next season then our list is in deep trouble. If Tabs gets the nod over fit and healthy Amiss, Treacy or Sturt at any point in time from here on we have big issues
I've heard this point parroted so much about Tabs, I find it incredibly disappointing that so many think that

People think so lowly of tabs it's ridiculous, he has been a good AFL player whose biggets issue was his body letting him down

Such a massive whipping boy for no reason other than he took a bit longer to come on as a forward, if we weren't challenging and desperate for a forward in tabs early years then the opinion of taberner would be so much different

I can't wait til he is back and firing, will be a great addition to the team

i would use Tabs as a foil to help Amiss get off the leash after dealing with monsters the last few weeks since LJ went into the middle. Corbett will likely only attract a medium sized defender. Tabs could keep Barrass accountable and turn plenty of intercept marks into ground balls for our smalls.

Barrass is injured

I've heard this point parroted so much about Tabs, I find it incredibly disappointing that so many think that

People think so lowly of tabs it's ridiculous, he has been a good AFL player whose biggets issue was his body letting him down

Such a massive whipping boy for no reason other than he took a bit longer to come on as a forward, if we weren't challenging and desperate for a forward in tabs early years then the opinion of taberner would be so much different

I can't wait til he is back and firing, will be a great addition to the team

Great post. Agreed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 22: Changes Vs West Coast Eagles + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back