Game Day Round 23 vs. Brisbane, MCG, 4:35pm Saturday 17/08

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fly: “We want to back our players and give them the best possible opportunity to succeed”

Also Fly: “Joe, you didn’t do enough in that 47 second opportunity we gave you so you’re dropped”

Lmao
Perhaps Fly & the rest of the match committee think Richards needs a full game in the VFL this week, considering he hasn't played at any level since the Hawks game.

Of course he wasn't dropped due to what he did or didn't do in 47 seconds of footy.

I wasn't impressed by Bytel's game last week, but I am assuming that I simply didn't notice/understand the role he actually played, and that he played it sufficiently well to be selected for this game.
I was hoping to see another midfielder added, maybe Allan or McInnes (if selectors believe he can play through the midfield at times).

Brisbane has a very powerful midfield line up, and if they get on top, it will be hard to stop their goal scoring, particularly their HF line boasting the likes of Raynor and Daniher -(who always does well against us).

All will depend on the kinds of rotations, strategies etc we can use to configure our midfield response to theirs. i have lots of faith in our coaches to create a viable plan to keep our midfield competitive with theirs.

With a competitive midfield, we have enough assets to threaten them on the scoreboard.

This will be our second GF for the year (the first one was the Carlton game).

Backs against the wall, we will want to win. Those who did not play in the GF last year will be dreaming of replicating it for themselves tomorrow afternoon.

Game on. Go Pies!!

I wasn't impressed by Bytel's game last week, but I am assuming that I simply didn't notice/understand the role he actually played, and that he played it sufficiently well to be selected for this game.
I was hoping to see another midfielder added, maybe Allan or McInnes (if selectors believe he can play through the midfield at times).

Brisbane has a very powerful midfield line up, and if they get on top, it will be hard to stop their goal scoring, particularly their HF line boasting the likes of Raynor and Daniher -(who always does well against us).

All will depend on the kinds of rotations, strategies etc we can use to configure our midfield response to theirs. i have lots of faith in our coaches to create a viable plan to keep our midfield competitive with theirs.

With a competitive midfield, we have enough assets to threaten them on the scoreboard.

Backs against the wall, we will want to win. Those who did not play in the GF last year will be dreaming of replicating it for themselves tomorrow afternoon.

Game on. Go Pies!!
Bytel is playing his role being on the "fat side" of the ground. Basically one winger is regularly in the play getting possessions (thin side) while the other has to guard space and run all game playing defensively (fat side). Sidebottom last year talked about how he was at the point of his career where he was happy to sacrifice his game playing the fat side so Josh Daicos could shine.

Bytel is playing his role being on the "fat side" of the ground. Basically one winger is regularly in the play getting possessions (thin side) while the other has to guard space and run all game playing defensively (fat side). Sidebottom last year talked about how he was at the point of his career where he was happy to sacrifice his game playing the fat side so Josh Daicos could shine.
Explains why I didn't notice his role !

Explains why I didn't notice his role !
You're not alone. Bytel cops a lot of criticism on here and to be fair, he sprayed it a bit in his first couple of games. But now he's playing his role and lifted his disposal efficiency when he gets it (77%). He is also only 24 so it's pretty harsh for people to call him a list clogger when he's been improving throughout the year.

You're not alone. Bytel cops a lot of criticism on here and to be fair, he sprayed it a bit in his first couple of games. But now he's playing his role and lifted his disposal efficiency when he gets it (77%). He is also only 24 so it's pretty harsh for people to call him a list clogger when he's been improving throughout the year.
Will make a point of watching him with this context in mind tomorrow.

We will go in tomorrow desperate to win, regardless of top 8 permutations.
All our team will know is that we stand a chance of real love.

It's strange. I said to my son after our loss to Sydney, our pathway to the finals seems more achievable and clearer. We have to do our bit but it's not a stretch to think those games could fall our way. But that all goes down the drain at the G if we can't overcome the Lions.

I have spoken to many fellow Pies supporters this week.
Several have expressed the position that they don't want us to make finals, to maximise the chances of a good draft pick.
I totally disagree.
I am on the finals bandwagon.
Just get there.
The courage, determination, effort this would engender would be massive.
We can't win the flag without JDG, Mitchell and Checkers.
But just playing in the finals, and maybe snaring a win - given the mental strength of this team - would be huge for next year.
Go Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Several have expressed the position that they don't want us to make finals, to maximise the chances of a good draft pick.
I totally disagree.
Just get there.
But just playing in the finals, and maybe snaring a win - given the mental strength of this team - would be huge for next year.
Go Pies.
huh..

Did we find a way to get back the first round pick we gave to freo?

I totally disagree.
Just get there.
Go Pies.
Nothing is guaranteed. Grab your chance now and see how far we can run with it if we sneak in. It's all about momentum. The only team we could not beat is Hawthorn in my humble opinion.

We'll know before our match tomorrow whether Dockers have done the right thing by us and lost ..

And wouldn't we also like Dogs to lose too. Are we just not mentioning them because we assume North can't beat them?

Last edited:
We'll know before our match tomorrow whether Dockers have done the right by us and lost ..

And wouldn't we also like Dogs to lose too. Are we just not mentioning them because we assume North can't beat them?
I'm not sure north can beat them without Sheezel. I'd be shocked if dogs didn't win this.

Game on. Go Pies!!
I think Sidey will play a defensive role in the midfield. Meaning it's another flanker down. Bytel is the only likely depth who plays flank - considering Markov has been so bad this year.

Tough going for us with last weeks loss, hard to see the teams above us dropping their last two games with pretty easy draws.

Anything can happen, and the players will be contending on Saturday as though finals are on the line.

We must compete, and I’ll be surprised and disappointed if we lose. Brisbane players will be conserving themselves for finals given they are guaranteed.

We’d be top 4 if Adam’s was still in the list playing on ball with our injuries.

Still disappointed that Allan didn’t get a game, has a few good games in the twos.

Tough going for us with last weeks loss, hard to see the teams above us dropping their last two games with pretty easy draws.

Anything can happen, and the players will be contending on Saturday as though finals are on the line.

We must compete, and I’ll be surprised and disappointed if we lose. Brisbane players will be conserving themselves for finals given they are guaranteed.

We’d be top 4 if Adam’s was still in the list playing on ball with our injuries.

Still disappointed that Allan didn’t get a game, has a few good games in the twos.
Brisbane have top 4 to play for. Games just as important to us as them

Brisbane have top 4 to play for…crucial for them
Yeah but I think they will underestimate our will, playing at the G also.

Ultimately, this time of year players fear getting injured on the cusp of finals…even a 1% drop in intensity can be the difference. We have nothing to lose.

I’m not surprised he has high disposal efficiency given how much time he takes to stop, prop, paint the kids bedroom, evaluate next option and kick. He’d wanna make the right call.
Sadly, he takes too long, the oppo run back and he misses the fat side opportunity of tearing it up into open spaces for a good avenue to goal.

I always thought the fat side was the team I was playing on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back