Autopsy Round 3, 2018: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

He seems to have plenty of time to make a decision and his disposal is nice and clean. A really great debut from him. Good size. Dunno if he's quick but he has composure and so few of our players have it. Ability to get the ball and dispose of it cleanly are obviously the primary skills but composure sets the stars apart from the rest. He has it. Rapt with his selection. So different to seeing someone like DMAC play. White has it too I reckon.
He has serious serious speed and agility. He runs 20 metres in 2.9 seconds or so which is elite but more importantly he uses it in games. He’s a bit like Acres in that he’s very slippery, probably less smooth and more pace but he’s one of those players who will rarely if ever be caught holding the ball.

He has serious serious speed and agility. He runs 20 metres in 2.9 seconds or so which is elite but more importantly he uses it in games. He’s a bit like Acres in that he’s very slippery, probably less smooth and more pace but he’s one of those players who will rarely if ever be caught holding the ball.

He's one I totally got wrong, I thought he was a half back when we needed more half backs like a hole in the head. I have seen a lot of debuts and his was one of the most composed and mature performances ever. The keys the limit for him, we sat up on level three and you can't believe how much space he can find when everyone else seems pinned in. And he doesn't even seem work for it, doesn't run himself out of breath because of his smarts, composure and poise. I reckon Trout finally found us a Bont type of hit the ground running gun.

He's one I totally got wrong, I thought he was a half back when we needed more half backs like a hole in the head. I have seen a lot of debuts and his was one of the most composed and mature performances ever. The keys the limit for him, we sat up on level three and you can't believe how much space he can find when everyone else seems pinned in. And he doesn't even seem work for it, doesn't run himself out of breath because of his smarts, composure and poise. I reckon Trout finally found us a Bont type of hit the ground running gun.
My friend at Sandy says it’s just the confidence he has to just know that he will
Always be able to come up with something. If not he will just keep moving until he can. I really hope we can develop him into an inside mid because with all his attributes who knows. Also very very rarely looses one on one.

Awesome. Great editing. Keeping the clip going to hear the commentary on the play adds a lot.

With your skills, I reckon you could do grouse weekly wrap ups, top 10 segments, etc. Certainly isnt much going on youtube. Dunno about the copy right hurdles tho.

Thanks man, yeh that is the kind of gap I am trying to fill with the highlights. I always found myself searching for an older players highlight reels or debuts and came back with nothing of any quality, so I basically said **** it, i'll do it myself.

I have considered more narrative based videos like short player docos and career retrospectives before and still intend to do them. Top 10's are a great idea, definitely something I would watch myself. Any other great ideas, shoot em my way!

He's too busy trying to take everyone else's marks in contests he shouldn't be near instead of worrying about his own.
Tries to mark on his chest too much. Let’s the defenders get too close. No confidence to take the ball in outstretched hands. And then he does he just doesn’t hold them. With wonky kicking he is out of form.

Last edited:
The next Bont in terms instant impact is a bit far fetched don’t you think? How many have had that sort of impact straight away? I think you guys put way too much pressure on there kids expecting them to be absolute guns straight away. I think Ed Richards will be a very similar player to the boy you’ve got in terms of impact but there’s no way I’d ever expect him to ever be at Bonts level.

The next Bont in terms instant impact is a bit far fetched don’t you think? How many have had that sort of impact straight away? I think you guys put way too much pressure on there kids expecting them to be absolute guns straight away. I think Ed Richards will be a very similar player to the boy you’ve got in terms of impact but there’s no way I’d ever expect him to ever be at Bonts level.

yeah, more just in the hit the ground running. Most of our players seem to take four years to even start to show potential. Bont, oil Selwood etc all seemed to play high level footy from the moment they started. Ed Richards looked a gun but his size was the thing holding him back. Looks like Lipinski played some kind of game in the ressies last week. How's he tracking generally, he was one of those guys you couldn't tell how goo the might be in his draft year.

I don't expect him to be a superstar straight away, champions are more than just instant impact, it takes a whole lot of intangibles which are mostly psychological to separate them from their peers. I'd take a best 22 player from day one right now.

Bont averaged 16 disposals and just under a goal in his first year.

At the moment Coffield is averaging 18 disposals and a goal so I’ve got him slightly ahead.....

Hey do you guys have some kind of automation running that notifies you when someone one on another board uses the word ‘Bont’? Then one of you is assigned to investigate?

Last edited:
Bont averaged 16 disposals and just under a goal in his first year.

At the moment Coffield is averaging 18 disposals and a goal so I’ve got him slightly ahead.....

Hey do you guys have some kind of automation running that notifies you when someone one on another board uses the word ‘Bont’? Then one of you is assigned to investigate?

Campaigner - sense is tingling

Are you really going to try and compare Ed ****ing Richards the 'The Coff'?

I don't think it's fair you put that kind of pressure on the kid, we all know how it will end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put myself through the replay of Sat night and few comments 2nd time round:

- Sincs so good early, seemed to get some belief back
- Acres looked like he could quickly be our best player, but for a couple of misses at goal was looking like a special game
- Dunstan was real good and giving us more than Armo and Ross at the moment
- Whoever is calling for Paddy and Long to be dropped doesn't watch the game closely enough, they both in different ways influenced the game in our favor more than a few times and deserve to be retained in the 22. I note that Richo mentioned Long as best fwd Sat in the way he did his role. Also with Long, he can actually hit a target, unlike Newnes, well most of our team, even J Steven at times butchers the ball. Yes Long has been run down a couple times in the first 3 games and does the odd silly thing, but he will improve in these areas and I think is very important to our fwd structure.
- Coff and Clark should be playing each week as they both ooze skill and composure and are players that will get this team back to being a finals team.
- Need more from Ross, Billings, Gresh, Bruce, Newnes, Robbo, Armo - actually expecting a couple of these to be dropped this week

EDIT: Forgot to comment on Roma, yeh got smashed in the ruck at times but boy he looked good around the ground and as a target anywhere on the ground.
Not sure if he is a true ruckman or a Fwd/Ruck pinch hitter at the moment but me likey.

- Acres looked like he could quickly be our best player, but for a couple of misses at goal was looking like a special game
- Whoever is calling for Paddy and Long to be dropped doesn't watch the game closely enough, they both in different ways influenced the game in our favor more than a few times and deserve to be retained in the 22. I note that Richo mentioned Long as best fwd Sat in the way he did his role. Also with Long, he can actually hit a target, unlike Newnes, well most of our team, even J Steven at times butchers the ball. Yes Long has been run down a couple times in the first 3 games and does the odd silly thing, but he will improve in these areas and I think is very important to our fwd structure.
- Coff and Clark should be playing each week as they both ooze skill and composure and are players that will get this team back to being a finals team.
- Need more from Ross, Billings, Gresh, Bruce, Newnes, Robbo, Armo - actually expecting a couple of these to be dropped this week

EDIT: Forgot to comment on Roma, yeh got smashed in the ruck at times but boy he looked good around the ground and as a target anywhere on the ground.
Not sure if he is a true ruckman or a Fwd/Ruck pinch hitter at the moment but me likey.
Easy to get smashed in the ruck when you dont have any clearance players.

At the game up high, Long looked fantastic. He's not a forward who looks like he'll kick a bag of goals but he has blistering pace and a huge amount of commitment to the defensive forward pressure role. He was literally running at a full pace sprint the whole time and chased and pressured multiple opponents. Paddy I didn't notice doing much I have to admit but it might be cognitive bias now, he needs some marks and goals or he will struggle to retain his spot IMO. He is there as a dominant key forward and we are struggling with the current set up.

Ginger pube will end up like neckbewrd at essenbong

Be careful, little freckled campaigners with Collingwood links..... will probably end up our coach in 10 years.

At the game up high, Long looked fantastic. He's not a forward who looks like he'll kick a bag of goals but he has blistering pace and a huge amount of commitment to the defensive forward pressure role. He was literally running at a full pace sprint the whole time and chased and pressured multiple opponents. Paddy I didn't notice doing much I have to admit but it might be cognitive bias now, he needs some marks and goals or he will struggle to retain his spot IMO. He is there as a dominant key forward and we are struggling with the current set up.
I didnt mean paddy was doing defensive pressure stuff as much as long does, I mean more paddy was non stop presenting and doing all that a forward should be, unfortunately he is clunking marks or kicking straight when he has the chances which is making him be not as effective as he could be. TBH I think he is giving us more than Brucey is at the moment so I would be thinking bout dropping Bruce before paddy but yeh

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2018: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back