Autopsy Round 3, 2022: Hawks go down to the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

We shouldn't win a game when we were so far behind so it was a great effort to get back into the contest and nearly steal it

The real worry is some senior players being absolute no shows for much of the first 3 rounds. We pay big dollars to these boys and their disposal efficiency for parts of the game have been absolute woeful

I am almost at the point where I would prefer another player playing instead of JOM just to give them game time. For a senior player who is suppose to be an A grade midfielder, his simply just not giving us enough to warrant auto selection. His down on almost every metric compared to his career averages so far

Would we be upset if we gave Duke his midfield minutes and include Bramble when his fit? Defs not and we investing in the future

I am extremely worried about the output we have had for the first 3 rounds from Jom and Chad . Both are on 600-750k range and both need to find a way to LIFT as leaders and high paid players quick smart.

Granted that he did work his way into the match but did anyone else think that Howe
looked like he was stuck playing 2021 Hawks Footy for most of today?
Yes!

At one point I thought "He's just not suited to how Sam wants the side to play"

There were 2 instances where he took a mark, one out on a wing with a fair bit of space ahead, and another outside their 50, where he stopped, slowed it down, did that eyes darting everywhere thing and then proceeded to play the obvious and easy kick....straight to an opposition player.

If you play on quickly and mess up the kick, it's forgivable but to suck all the energy out of things and dump the kick straight down the throat of an opponent is exactly what we don't want.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wingard had 'just one of those days' I think. Every time he went near the ball it would bounce right over his head out of reach; I even thought at one point 'exactly how tall is that dude?'. Delivery into the forwards was a touch off all day...not even Gunner was able to impact.

I agree with Dipper, but....we came so close to stealing one we should never have had the chance to (after the insipid first quarter.), on a day we were noticeably just off our game all around the ground it's difficult to criticize the team today honestly.

The takeaway has to be 'we can run and dare our way back into a game'. There's not much 'wrong', things just didn't work out and we were flat in the 1st quarter.

I'll take 4th after 3 rounds in any season! Hahaha.

After lamenting all arvo, figured I'd focus on the positives:
  • Dylan Moore is a complete gun, can't think of many HFFs better than him in the comp rn

• CJ - what is there to say...

• C Mac is looking like a steal with a mid 20s pick - he's a jet and will only get better once he plays his role in the middle

• DGB showed a heap - have to remember he's a second year KPD

• Frost and Hardwick both unheralded but did good jobs under constant forward 50 entries

• Ward continues to build, was good in the third qrt when we started to get a run on

• Morrison's goal/performance in general - he's a great link player and would get a game for any team in the comp

• Nash and Duke's second and third efforts

• Day seems to have gotten through the game okay - cramping at the end aside. Will be better for the run

Day's kicking was rusty but you can still see the blueprint of which makes him so damn good and someone who hasnt played 20 games yet can come back with limited fitness and play to that level as your base it's just WOW.

Moore 588 meters gained from 18 disposals(8 contested), 6 score involvements and 2 goals, all playing as a small forward is insane. Some many times he would be at the halfback to setup a spring board attack.

Grainger-Barras put together his first full game, lead the game for intercepts and just throw him self at every contest.

Every week so far, at the end of the game I think Moore’s had a good game, until I check his stats, upon which I upgrade it to excellent.

This week: 21 disposals, 9 marks, 2.1. For a young small forward, that’s exceptional. Again.
9 marks for a small forward is sensational.
What a player.

David King on first crack tonight said that if he could play for any club it would be Hawthorn with the way we play and the way Mitchell let’s players continue to take risks and hit the corridor.
Joey Montagna as positive as ever says the Hawks lose no admirers and that we’ll “win a lot of games this year”.

This is the sort of thing we want player managers to start talking about with their interstate clients who might be eyeing a return home to Vic for 2023 and beyond.

Hi Caleb.

Moore is a genuine star, can’t believe the growth since the suns game - he was the one I thought showed the most hunger and leadership in the first game, almost single Handedly kept us in the game

Only 33 games! Imagine when he hits 100…
Amazing what happens when you get a rocket up you with the threat of delisting.
Incredible turnaround.

I said this 2 years back…. Dylan Moore reminds me of Boomer Harvey . His tank is a ripper. Up and back all day and puts his head over it when needed.

I am extremely worried about the output we have had for the first 3 rounds from Jom and Chad . Both are on 600-750k range and both need to find a way to LIFT as leaders and high paid players quick smart.
Agree! JOM had time to hit a target on that last advance when he hacked it to Weitering. With big money comes expectation. He gives 100%, but he's an average AFL mid. Dylan Moore has gone past Wingard, on likely one third his wage

Most unbothered I've been about a loss almost ever.

We were utterly disgusting for the first quarter and got ****ed up accordingly.

A test for sammy and the lads.

Didn't drop our heads, fixed up a few things and damn nearly pinched it and honestly were the best side for 3/4 quarters to a side everyone expected us to lose against.

Yes, some shit umpiring but it went both ways.

We paid the price for a shit first quarter but I take far more heart and encouragement from our absolutely brilliant response to it.

Who knows where this year takes us but play like we did for the last 3 quarters and the years not taking us to the bottom 4 thats for damn sure.

After lamenting all arvo, figured I'd focus on the positives:
  • Dylan Moore is a complete gun, can't think of many HFFs better than him in the comp rn

• CJ - what is there to say...

• C Mac is looking like a steal with a mid 20s pick - he's a jet and will only get better once he plays his role in the middle

• DGB showed a heap - have to remember he's a second year KPD

• Frost and Hardwick both unheralded but did good jobs under constant forward 50 entries

• Ward continues to build, was good in the third qrt when we started to get a run on

• Morrison's goal/performance in general - he's a great link player and would get a game for any team in the comp

• Nash and Duke's second and third efforts

• Day seems to have gotten through the game okay - cramping at the end aside. Will be better for the run
Good summary with a few comments I'll add for Jai. He is known for efforts and tackling, but his skills are also top class. Can kick goals from 50m as shown vs GWS last year, incredible pick up on the run vs. North round 1, kicks well when running at speed, makes good decisions. This boy can play.... can't believe we got him for nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with Hodgey I have never been so happy after a loss. Shows we have spirit, G & D, our players understand how Sam wants them to play. We will be fine. Once we get JOM & Chad out of the team I will feel even better. Also, Finn has shown absolutely nothing to suggest that he will make it. Good on the club for giving him an extended run, but time to go back to the VFL. Perhaps he should revert to being a defensive mid (cooler as the now say) like he was in U18s. He sure aint no HBF.
Everyone else was pretty terrific after Q1.

David King on first crack tonight said that if he could play for any club it would be Hawthorn with the way we play and the way Mitchell let’s players continue to take risks and hit the corridor.
Joey Montagna as positive as ever says the Hawks lose no admirers and that we’ll “win a lot of games this year”.

This is the sort of thing we want player managers to start talking about with their interstate clients who might be eyeing a return home to Vic for 2023 and beyond.

Hi Caleb.
We definitely are looking more attractive to free agents & players seeking a trade than we did 2 years ago.

Had to miss the game to go to my sons footy practice match but saw first half at home and then watched on phone and listened to SEN. Andy Maher should never be allowed to commentate Carlton games, embarrassing how biased. Very stiff not to win or draw but we great comeback. MacDonald has so much time in traffic and is a steal.

Just finished watching the replay and can take nothing away from the way we responded today. It gives plenty of hope and belief going forward that we're not just going to go through the montions to get games into the kids, but to have a red hot crack.

A once wise man used to say if we'd had the rub the green the result may have been different, watching the 2nd quarter today the green was well on Carlton's side with some very questionable decisions indeed which directly resulted in goals.

Lots to like, onwards and upwards for the mighty Hawks!

Finn’s problem is that he’s just too slow - and that makes him a plodder, unfortunately.
He caused two critical turnovers in the last quarter simply because of his sluggish movement.
I'd say that's more a problem of not knowing when to go, because the guy can seriously motor. He looks like a player who's instincts aren't there yet so he's got a 250ms lag (if you get my gaming reference). At this level, that makes you look slow.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

How good was that comeback? Answer: F%$cken awesome!
Young teams often fall to peaces when smashed early (see Norfs 108 pt loss to Brisbane) …but not the Hawks. Yes it was a loss but there were so many positives, though primary amongst them was that the team still believed. That trait is what premierships are made of.

I could not be more impressed with Ward and McDonald. For first year players who missed much of their best years of development due to CoViD-19 issues, they are astonishingly composed. Some of Ward’s handballs showed elite awareness and McDonald rarely put-a-foot-wrong (I especially loved him pushing off Walsh to get space and clear the ball from the backline… he is a serious talent with no flaws that I can see).

Nash! Before his last 3 games in 2021 I had him on a plane back to Ireland. Thank Sam-ness that he was put in the midfield in the VFL and then the AFL. His weakness in kicking is now near a non issue and his great attributes are shining… not least of which is that he is tall, strong, and can compete in the ruck when needed. At age 23… and with his rate of improvement, he could be a serious player.

But we should not forget our backline. Awesome. Was it 64 entries for Carlton for just 19 scores? And most of them in the 1st Qtr. … and after we lost a pillar with Scrim Out. Sic, DGB, Hardwick, Frost, and Day were great while CJ could well win a Brownlow in the next few years. Remembering that no other team wanted him in his draft year… suckers! 😅

The fwds were excellent all game. Gunna, Breust and Lewis all did their job while Moore was fantastic. How Moore gets away from his man so often is a mystery to me. They pay him no respect and he cashes in. If Docherty was on him then maybe Dylan needed to pay his defender more respect. If not, Dylan rocked.

Morrison on a wing… quality.

Our mids still have have issues: Reeves needs help… We could not take a contested mark around the ground.
I see potential but not yet AFL quality from Finn, Worps needs to clean up his disposal (lower his eyes), Titch adds value if he beats his man, JOM was only OK compared to what he is capable of producing, and Duke could not get near it early on but came good later on… he learned and adapted.

Howe was good as the sub.

I think Carlton is the 2nd best team going around and we beat them for 3 qtrs.

I said to my boy at Qtr time, we have been smashed and now will see what the Hawk players are made of.
Answer: the right stuff.

Last edited:
Imagine how good we will be when we have that many decent draft picks? My gut feel is Carlton have at least 15 first rounders on their list including those like cerra marchbank etc from other clubs. Given how close a bottom 4 team got today, is it time Carlton get a priority pick?
“When we have that many decent draft picks“ … I get what you are trying to say = they have been in the front end of the draft for years…. but to “get” that many decent draft picks we will need to be near the bottom for a long time. I hope that type of “when“ never happens.

Connor McDonald (Pick 26) is impressing the hell out of me and seems like he will be a much better player than Will Setterfield (pick 5) or Lockie O’Brian (pick 10). Sicily at pick 56 is all Australian material as is CJ (undrafted Cat B rookie)

Again I say I understand your concept on raw talent from the U19s.

I just do not see us bottoming out to get similar draft picks. Unless Jeff has done a John Elliot… (He’ll No!)…

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2022: Hawks go down to the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back