Autopsy Round 3, 2022: Hawks go down to the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone think the Carlton defender (don't know name) was holding the ball in the dying minutes about 30m out directly in front?
Williams and yes under the new interpretation this year

Just finished rewatching the game.

I think JOM is playing a really selfless role at the moment. Did some smart things yesterday that went unnoticed myself being at the ground.

We shouldn’t expecting the prolific footy player we paid for anymore. It’s clear he don’t reach that.

I think his role in this dude would be better respected if we had better midfielders ahead of him.

He’s played 6 games.

Maybe wait until he’s played a few more before critiquing him too harshly, and particularly against Sam Mitchell.
Easy, I’m not critiquing him too harshly.
I’m judging him on his game against Carlton. That’s what we do each week with our players.

Even if he becomes a great 10 year player for us, that won’t change how he played in round 3, 2022.

Thought Breust was worse. He took a bouncing ball mid air and was chicken winged straight away for HTB.
Yep could have easily smashed the TV with that one, disgraceful decision in which the umpire who made the call should be stood down until they understand the game they are officiating.

Durdin essentially kicks a point that wins it for them after dropping the ball in a tackle. Absolutely ridiculous umpiring all game.

Shocking first quarter by us but then were able to grind out a comeback.

Also that last effort by Sicily was absolutely piss poor, he should have just smashed into Weitering.

To be fair, I think part of the growth of Sicily as a player is that he's learnt when restraint is required. If he goes in hard when late to the contest he risks giving away a 50 at a very crucial moment in the game. I can see him copping it for being undisciplined if he'd gone that route, with people saying the subsequent 50 had thrown away our chances of getting back in front, so I think it was a very difficult situation at that point in time.

On first blush he took some short steps and I was mightily peeved that he did so, I felt he needed to create a contest and "crash the pack" to bring the ball to ground - fairly of course, im not advocating he should have gone the man.

If he was sprinting at that ball with intent, he could of got there and brought the ball to ground, its not inconceivable given our momentum and numbers around that ball that we would have gone on and won. That wasnt one of those situations where "restraint was required".

Disappointing to say the least. Ahwell, Sicily gets a pass for on account of the large body of 'awesome things' he does.

Similar goes for CJ, one shit, half-assed and unaware effort gifted them a goal, he also gets a pass and is clearly fast becoming a superstar of our great club.

But those two efforts right there are the difference between winning and losing close games - we will learn, we will improve.

Im not going to be that guy that says we were shafted by the umps, because we werent., but the umpiring department is an absolute shambles - the interpretation of basic rules is cooked.

Last edited:
Maybe you should to post some more of your nonsense opinions regarding Mitchell, that will surely generate enough posts to get it there.
Or, given DGB's game yesterday, he could revisit his views on how we blew pick 6 on him.

cj could be anything.

one of those players like franklin and Cyril that just makes you love footy when he’s near the ball and taking the game on.

made some mistakes but watching the game from level 4 a lot of the time he didn’t have much to kick to.

thought newcombe was going to be a hard nut only - but he’s already showed he has some class as well as grunt to his game. one of my new favourite players.

morrison and moore are valuable contributors when a couple of years ago both looked marginal prospects at afl level.

season and the future looking bright - and good to see we’re playing entertaining footy.

while it sucks to lose - after quarter time - i left the ground pretty happy.

only negative - beyond a poor start - was wingard. wasn’t his day which you can understand, but some of his defensive efforts were poor. on big money he needs to put in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On first blush he took some short steps and I was mightily peeved that he did so, I felt he needed to create a contest and "crash the pack" to bring the ball to ground - fairly of course, im not advocating he should have gone the man.

If he was sprinting at that ball with intent, he could of got there and brought the ball to ground, its not inconceivable given our momentum and numbers around that ball that we would have gone on and won. That wasnt one of those situations where "restraint was required".

Disappointing to say the least. Ahwell, Sicily gets a pass for on account of the large body of 'awesome things' he does.

Similar goes for CJ, one shit, half-assed and unaware effort gifted them a goal, he also gets a pass and is clearly fast becoming a superstar of our great club.

But those two efforts right there are the difference between winning and losing close games - we will learn, we will improve.

Im not going to be that guy that says we were shafted by the umps, because we werent., but the umpiring department is an absolute shambles - the interpretation of basic rules is cooked.

You could pick a 'mistake' from every game from every champion of this Club the last 100 years. There are no perfect footballers who win every contest every time making the perfect decision or with perfect effort. It's never happened, and never will.

Fancy writing what you just did about CJ. Embarrassing.
He made an error. Likely thought noone was near and he had time when he obviously didn't. Get over it, kid plays his absolute heart out for this Club.

I reckon CJ, by any definition, is the most athletic player in the AFL right now.

He has speed, especially closing and breakaway speed, extraordinary agility, physical presence, a huge leap and superb mark - and his disposal skills are excellent.
I don't think anyone else has those qualities to that extent - especially his agility and quickness.

And he's only 22 and played less than 30 games.
Massive fan.

Anyone think the Carlton defender (don't know name) was holding the ball in the dying minutes about 30m out directly in front?
He threw the ball in the air and caught it again while in the tackle. When I was a kid that was dropping the ball every day of the week. It's the same as bouncing it. Then he threw it over the shoulder.

He threw the ball in the air and caught it again while in the tackle. When I was a kid that was dropping the ball every day of the week. It's the same as bouncing it. Then he threw it over the shoulder.

To be fair there was a similar play at the other end of the ground with a Hawks player giving out a don't argue, then being tackled to have the ball spill. No call there either...

He threw the ball in the air and caught it again while in the tackle. When I was a kid that was dropping the ball every day of the week. It's the same as bouncing it. Then he threw it over the sho
At the end of the day the main problem was Hawthorn's shambolic first quarter, including Gunston's early miss.

At the end of the day the main problem was Hawthorn's shambolic first quarter, including Gunston's early miss.
Simply not true. At the end of the day the total margin DESPITE WHEN THE SCORES WERE ACHEIVED was, or could have been, less than the effect of umpire error. It'd be a tad silly to say after a loss "the main problem was the 27 minutes throughout the game where the opposition kicked all their goals. You're either playing against 25 or you are not. Personally I thought there were three occasions where Hawthorn was ripped off, and only one where Carlton was. That one resulted in a typical free kick on the wing that amounted to nothing. The three times Hawthorn was rogered resulted in 1.1 and a missed opportunity at our end. Potentially 13 point turnaround directly influenced by, at best, umpire error.

This by no means supersedes the horror that was the 4th quarter round 2, 2019 which cost us a finals spot. But then you'd probably blame some other loss for that.

It is interesting to observe that Carlton adapted to our game and became much more defensive structurally. They were structured much higher up the ground but were forced to shift as they game wore on and we were getting out the back. By them adapting they probably won the game. It was a fascinating contest.

It is interesting to observe that Carlton adapted to our game and became much more defensive structurally. They were structured much higher up the ground but were forced to shift as they game wore on and we were getting out the back. By them adapting they probably won the game. It was a fascinating contest.
I think we are going to have some absolute ripper contests over the next few seasons.

To be fair there was a similar play at the other end of the ground with a Hawks player giving out a don't argue, then being tackled to have the ball spill. No call there either...
To be fair, if you take away all the wildly idiotic umpire calls, we win that by 3 goals. Piss off.

Simply not true. At the end of the day the total margin DESPITE WHEN THE SCORES WERE ACHEIVED was, or could have been, less than the effect of umpire error. It'd be a tad silly to say after a loss "the main problem was the 27 minutes throughout the game where the opposition kicked all their goals. You're either playing against 25 or you are not. Personally I thought there were three occasions where Hawthorn was ripped off, and only one where Carlton was. That one resulted in a typical free kick on the wing that amounted to nothing. The three times Hawthorn was rogered resulted in 1.1 and a missed opportunity at our end. Potentially 13 point turnaround directly influenced by, at best, umpire error.

This by no means supersedes the horror that was the 4th quarter round 2, 2019 which cost us a finals spot. But then you'd probably blame some other loss for that.
6 goals behind at quarter time is satisfactory?

I don't know if I could actually type slow enough for you to be able to read it, but Carlton got the massive rub of the green, on the whole. Pittonet taking out Reeves legs then getting a free for it, he must have been laughing uncontrollably on the inside. Then he kicks it (like he did at Hawthorn), straight down the opposition's throat. So the umpire had to step in again and hand the ball over because Sicily holding his forward and somehow using his own jumper to do it. I wasn't aware until that point that holding an opposition players fingers with your jumper was illegal. My new thing for the day. Quite chuffed.

Whoever you have with you reading this to you, get them to explain the HTB rule, because don't argues? They hand out Brownlows and Norm Smiths for them.

martin-fend.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2022: Hawks go down to the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back