Autopsy Round 3, 2022: Hawks go down to the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

He went back with the flight on two occasions in the last quarter. Against the likes of McKay and Curnow steaming behind him.

Pretty surprised he jumps so high even with the weight of his massive balls.
I got a man crush on Duke and Macca but I reckon I'm going to have to make room for the Shagster too.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We had a red hot crack!! The blues did expose us early on. We turned it around from 8 contested marks in one qtr to 8+ intercept marks for the rest of the game! Great stuff!

The comeback by the kids was great! lead by Cj, even the way DGB fought back. The move off Sic to Curnow and Worpel to Cripps in the stoppage. almost won the game. Super excited with Cj, Moore, Nuke, Cmac,Ward,Day. Please Give us a full season off Cj,Day,Dgb together PLEASE 🙏.

Ps I thought we went in one tall fwd to short with Mcevoy out! Bring in Callow or Kosi next wk to help Lewis & Gunners.

If my mother had wheels she would have been a bike.

You can be well ridden without having wheels. Just sayin'

Carlton had 64 forward entries, compared to 46. That's pretty comprehensively in our favour. Probably shouldn't have been so close at the end. But all credit to the hawks probably the better team for most of the game.

Carlton won by a point, and lost 3 of 4 quarters against a team that had 11 players on the field with 50 or fewer games under their belt. After Carlton went in hot favourites, I was expecting a lot more from them. In fact after seeing today's game, I'm inclined to think Carlton have ****ed up another rebuild. They came very close to ****ing up a game against a team touted for a bottom 4 finish. They also reverted to the fumbly, indecisive and undisciplined rabble we've come to know and love when watching Carlton games when the pressure was applied. To be fair they did manage to finally settle, and get their noses in front, but this is not a list that will win multiple finals - although they may do one better than Essendon and win 1 in the next year or 2 before heading back down for another rebuild.

Tell your mother I send my regards.

What we saw in the first is just a reality of the opposition midfielder dominance. Might happen again if we don't improve here.

If we match up with a team that can match us in the air as we saw today we can find ourselves in trouble.

Yes, we were lucky Port didn't have dixon or we might have had similar issues against them. The lack of pressure on their blokes delivering inside 50 in the first quarter was unbelievable. At one stage I think Carlton had 6 marks inside 50 and 6 goals from them , which was a direct result of their mids being able to far too easily setup their forwards for marks very close to goal.

Pretty happy with the performance overall. Carlton will be a good middle of the road side this year (and likely for several years to come before heading back down for their next rebuild). They have a more even spread of experience compared to us at the moment. Confident we'll be ahead of them by the time our 1-50 gamers are all 50-100 gamers. They had 15 in the 50-150 game group compared to our 8. Yes we had 4 with over 150 games, to their zero, but those 4 experienced heads can't make up for the 11 under 50, especially with the captain out for a big chunk of the season.

Walked away from that game feeling like we were the better team over all. Unfortunately they made the most of their opportunities while we were doing who knows what in the first quarter. Great effort not to roll over and instead fight back, but just feels like an opportunity wasted.

No reason this team can't play finals this year. Just need to cut out these first quarter disappearing acts.

In several ways, today sums up the state of the rules of the game;

• Scrimshaw subbed after the first quarter with a broken bone.
• Pittonet subbed after getting too puffed.

Combined with the holding the ball farce today, just a friendly reminder that the muppets in charge of the AFL are stupid, overpaid reactionary horses' arses who haven't a clue about how the game is played, let alone the consequences of their attempts to "equalise" the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to point out that I never complain about this stuff because I feel it's a myth, however the media reports into this game are sickening.

AFL.com have treated it as if Carlton were playing a relegated side from the VFL and almost 'blue it'. Pretty much nothing about the impact of our young players to fight back and hit the front. Or Sam Mitchell's plan of attack after giving up 7 consecutive goals in the first quarter.

0c91c705dc0281bda9f670eb7b8e361f.png

Youth dominated

If my mother had wheels she would have been a bike. Carlton had 64 forward entries, compared to 46. That's pretty comprehensively in our favour. Probably shouldn't have been so close at the end. But all credit to the hawks probably the better team for most of the game.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah due to your midfield being superior to ours. Thats where we lost the game and cost us many times in the past. When you have O Meara playing as a defensive mid to try and nullify Cripps and Walsh you know there's a problem. We didn't get him to the club to be the next Brad Sewell. Wouldn't be surprised we start phasing out our underwhelming mids for good because our kids are showing them up.

4/5 free kick ‘clearances’ out of the middle directly turning to goals killed us.
Along with the non call on the HTB in our forward 50 with a couple minutes to go.

That blocking free against reeves in the middle was the most perplexing call I’ve seen for ages. Pittonet slipped and then pulled reeves down but somehow that’s us blocking?

Hawthorn deserved the win and deserve to hold their heads high after this.

4 matches in a row Carlton have had an armchair from the umpires.

I wish Reeves would play with a bit more intensity. He's the biggest guy on the field just needs to start realising it. Should have grabbed that mark late in the quarter for a shot on goal.

If we can get angry Reeves we've got hell of a player. Everything else he is ticking the boxes at his age.

Yeah due to your midfield being superior to ours. Thats where we lost the game and cost us many times in the past. When you have O Meara playing as a defensive mid to try and nullify Cripps and Walsh you know there's a problem. We didn't get him to the club to be the next Brad Sewell. Wouldn't be surprised we start phasing out our underwhelming mids for good because our kids are showing them up.
Geez Louise I'd give my left nut to get Brad Sewell into our current midfield....

You are doing Brad a bit of a disservice to say he was just a defensive mid, he was better than that!

Agree with everything else you posted though 👍

Carlton spent all their petrol tickets in the first 45 mins and we spent all ours there after trying to catch them.

The first qtr was a mess. Some senior players in the middle are not going to enjoy the review with some very weak efforts when they didn’t go when the team needed it .

I wish Reeves would play with a bit more intensity. He's the biggest guy on the field just needs to start realising it. Should have grabbed that mark late in the quarter for a shot on goal.

If we can get angry Reeves we've got hell of a player. Everything else he is ticking the boxes at his age.
He just needs to get a bigger tank only 64% of time on ground, that's my biggest fear of what will stop Ned from becoming the player we hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2022: Hawks go down to the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back