Autopsy Round 4, 2023: St.Kilda v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I was surprised by his stats. He looked like he had heaps of touches. He gets the ball going a lot of the time.
All the media have been saying for years and even last year we never had any stars - well with Wilkie playing like Alex Rance , Sinclair already is a All Australian , same as Steele , Higgins kickin snags each week , Owens looking like GOAT already , Woods (Wayne Carey) and Max King who was is a star and this 18yr kid in Pou - all of a sudden we have more than most teams.

They are a very good team and will be very hard to beat

It should be a great spectacle, the AFL's poster boy for all things attractive and pure on a footy field against a rag-tag bunch of lock-down happy retrograde heathens.

Throw them to the Lyon and bring on the next lot, I want more blood.

Is our current game plan revolutionary? How innovative is it? Has Ross done it again

The suns early showed the comp how to beat it- you need to pass the ball lightning quick and practically flawlessly up the field before we get a chance to set up our zone.

Suns weren't good enough to sustain it- but they definately cracked us open (early stages) more than any other team so far

I think we are a good side. 3/4 of the struggle IMO is to give consistently great effort. I've always been of the belief that effort should be the foundation of any gameplan. If you have 22 guys having a crack each week, you'll beat sides that may be better structurally or smarter without the ball.

This first month of footy has been a dogged performance. We've rolled up the sleeves and got to work. Playing for one another, working as a team, and putting sides away. If you get a team humming like we are, it's hard to stop. If we get King etc back and keep the form going we are a serious threat to win a premiership this year. I'm not even bullshitting. We are doing all of this undermanned, and it will serve us well long term.

Bursting with pride as we speak. Over the ******* moon with the entirety of the club.
Good post George - totally agree - we are lucky we have experienced heads to come back into the side as in King , Membery and Steele in the coming month , it should give us another gear.

Never in my wildest imagination did I think we would be 4-0.

The next 2 in all honesty are just free hits. But *, I’d love to pinch one of them.
Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

*can anyone photoshop a little red into those glasses?

Last edited:
I ******* love Owens.
Give him a job and he will do it. Tall forward? No worries. Inside bull? Easy peasy. Lead up chf? He’s got you. Small forward? Why not. Ruckman? how about a challenge.
Absolute JET
90% time on ground too. For comparison:

Philippou 82
Ross 78
Byrnes 76
Clark 72
Windy 66

Must be one of the fittest blokes in the team

Dmac fits perfectly but his body needs time and earn a place.

I dont know who i would drop for Billings either tbh , Byrnes is super quick which fits the system. the back 6/7 is way too solid to mess with, the fwds are already short. :/
Some of Byrnes kicking is a worry, aka Zacharia Jones. But thought his kicking early in this game was elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I ******* love Owens.
Give him a job and he will do it. Tall forward? No worries. Inside bull? Easy peasy. Lead up chf? He’s got you. Small forward? Why not. Ruckman? how about a challenge.
Absolute JET
He is a BEAST
My god he was amazing

Game high- 3 goal assists to the Gresh. Shows he's not selfish but his kicking for goal choice, is ridiculous though, at times.

It looked like his most selfless game so far and really cleaned up some of his defensive efforts. They are playing team footy at the moment, tapping the ball on to team mates in better positions and getting back to help a mate. Gresh looked like he was struggling a bit early on in the season, he looked actually very good at the ground tonight. Ran his arse off and kept the work rate high. I think Lyon would have liked his game even though it wasn't a starring role.

Can't see how D Mac gets a game. Yes he was good when he got going but there's no one in the team who's spot he'd take even before we bring in the obvious ones
McKenzie would be stressing out knowing he is out of contract and a free agent - if he can't get back on the park his next contract might be a lot less than he was wanting and may be let go as a free agent knowing our list spots are getting hard to get.
Suppose it is all up to him knowing he has get back playing and playing good football - Ross would love him in the side just because he puts the effort required in every week and he has the same endurance running skill's as Wood , but if he is injury prone his list spot and Jones are on the line.

The suns early showed the comp how to beat it- you need to pass the ball lightning quick and practically flawlessly up the field before we get a chance to set up our zone.

Suns weren't good enough to sustain it- but they definately cracked us open (early stages) more than any other team so far
Chaos works for you, until it doesn't.
But yeah, it was a good approach except for their sky ball entries. Even with their height up there you need more system than that.
Great win tonight, had to watch through one eye after copping an errant tennis ball from the next pair over yesterday, so can't really read much or join in the comments this weekend. Doesn't stop the wine going down! Stocker climbing my favourite saint ratings each week. Owens soaring.

McKenzie would be stressing out knowing he is out of contract and a free agent - if he can't get back on the park his next contract might be a lot less than he was wanting and may be let go as a free agent knowing our list spots are getting hard to get.
Suppose it is all up to him knowing he has get back playing and playing good football - Ross would love him in the side just because he puts the effort required in every week and he has the same endurance running skill's as Wood , but if he is injury prone his list spot and Jones are on the line.
Best mates with Sinclair, he aint going nowhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4, 2023: St.Kilda v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back