Toast Round 4 = Collingwood 77-72 Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee we’re missing the bookends of McStay and Murphy.

When Murph plays, Moore can zone off, intercept and rebound, safe in the knowledge that Murph is back there to clean up any mess. With Murph, Moore has to play as a stay-at-home defender, which makes him much less potent.

And Gee Checkers needs some aerial help up forward. Neither Johnson nor McInnes look like being the answer. We need Krueger back in and if he’s no good, I’d try Steene, or Howe.

Lastly, Lipinski needs to be dropped. He has no impact. He was invisible for most of today and just doesn’t put his body on the line. He looks like a model and plays like one too. With Adams traded, we have lost some serious physicality in the middle. Let’s get Sullivan in and see what he has got because Lippa’s bruise-free footy is killing us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mcinnes is a 3rd medium-tall fwd, much like AJ neither are really kpf.

We currently don't have much choice and we need to get AFL games into our juniors can't keep dropping them every other week. Like Fin.

We are really lacking a key position player in the forward line. Just no system going forward.

Cox was terrible in the ruck and around the ground. An actual liability.
And we will never get a quality key forward while we continue to use our top draft picks to collect midg*ts.

Honest question - do people here feel we might be relying too much on hanging on or coming from behind to win a game by a small margin, or is it that we legitimately don't have the cattle to finish off a team like the Hawks the way we should have tonight?

Just posing the question as I've seen a few comments on us putting the cue in the rack or trying to "conserve energy" that normally wouldn't resonate with how I'd like to see us play.

Confidence in being able to secure the win in a tight game is all and good, but there are games like tonight where we shouldn't need to resort to that - although the end result here was more a case of them running out of time than us controlling the outcome, if we're going to be perfectly frank abiut it.

Lol this!

Jack Riewoldt in the last 30 seconds asking for dangerous tackle with crisp on Nash when Nash has his arm in a headlock around Crisp was the icing for me.

This fixture is always a danger game for us…our bogey side forever really.
Take the points and now rest up after a hectic schedule to open the season.
Yeh lol give us a spell Jack on the dangerous tackle call on Crisp 😝 …….On the flip side Reiwoldt hit the nail on the head about us bombing it into the goal square time after time and being out marked , when our fwds should be offering up a short option .
What a 🐷💩 aka Pigs Shit 2nd half ! lol 😆

Ginnivan was good. He deserved every free and goal he got. Don't care what you say. He made our defenders look ordinary.

I agree that Ginnivan deserved his frees

But saying he made our defenders look ordinary is a stretch.

Outside those 2 frees, which were 100% avoidable from us, he did basically zilch. Let’s relax a tad.

The one that actually made us look ordinary was Hardwick

Only Collingwood could make a back pocket look like a Coleman medallist

We lack that additional key forward to make good defenders honest. Sicily, Impey, Scrimshaw are decent defenders. They set up shop and then used the ball well. They also have strong midfielders.
Sidebottom had zero impact.
Its time to move on and play Sullivan and Harrison.
Our smalls couldn’t get a sniff because we need an extra big to create their crumbs.
No McStay is a massive problem.
Again, we fkd up by not having Nick Daicos across half back. Noble was excellent. But Daicos is far more creative.
If Daicos went back, we would’ve been one mid short. Pendles getting hurt was a disaster. Sullivan would’ve stepped in and competed hard.

He got 2 goals and got right under our skin. What more can you ask from him? He was a darn sight better than most of our decidedly ordinary squad tonight.
If he doesn’t get free kicks he struggles to score or impact games. I’ve never been a fan as I hated the Selwood arm lift & Ginni did it every single contest when he played for us in 2022. If he stood up & played the ball he would get beaten 9 times out of ten. He knows it too, hence the constant play for free kicks. At least Selwood tried to break a tackle. Jack has no interest in doing that. Just has always wanted the cheap free kick.

When Murph plays, Moore can zone off, intercept and rebound, safe in the knowledge that Murph is back there to clean up any mess. With Murph, Moore has to play as a stay-at-home defender, which makes him much less potent.

And Gee Checkers needs some aerial help up forward. Neither Johnson nor McInnes look like being the answer. We need Krueger back in and if he’s no good, I’d try Steene, or Howe.

Lastly, Lipinski needs to be dropped. He has no impact. He was invisible for most of today and just doesn’t put his body on the line. He looks like a model and plays like one too. With Adams traded, we have lost some serious physicality in the middle. Let’s get Sullivan in and see what he has got because Lippa’s bruise-free footy is killing us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep and he is overcorrected. He is not getting goals kicked on him but we get no run from him. I did think he was important in the last q though killing lots of contests. Our defence was peppered.

Yup I have thought a lot during this season how important and underrated Murph is. And McStay in form is like another Mihocek. It's a shame to have such important players missing, along with the leadership of Pendles in this game. Our recruiters need to be all over potential KPFs and KPDs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore coming off his man, not impacting the contest then said man creating a goal is just getting tiring.

Lack of KPF making us look impotent.

BUT…win is a win.
I think not having Murphy as support makes a big difference. Frampton has been great so not disputing that. I just think Murphy allows Moore to zone off with more efficiency because his cover is so good.

Feeling a little deflated by how poor our performance was in the second half. We had a 10-day break to prepare for this game in contrast to Hawthorn who had a 6-day turnaround yet they ran out the game with more run far better than we did. I'm trying to understand why this was the case.

On the positives, our first half performance was very good. Noble's making the most of his opportunities and sticking up to the selection committee. Frampton is making good progress in his development and is becoming an increasingly reliable defender. I felt that this was also Schultz's best performance for our club, and he's slowly adapting to our system of play which is a real positive. He also got some reward for effort on the scoreboard.

2-3 isn't a catastrophe considering we were 0-3. I think we need to be 4-4 to stand a chance of doing anything of relevance this year. Our next three games after the bye are Port Adelaide (H), Essendon and Carlton. We need to win 2 of those 3.

Don’t miss Ginni one bit. He’s a distraction.

Over the top celebrations, 2 goals today both from free kicks. It’s a running circus.
Yup was sickening - you just knew this week he would get free kicks and the commentators would act as cheerleaders.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

He got 2 goals and got right under our skin. What more can you ask from him? He was a darn sight better than most of our decidedly ordinary squad tonight.
I disagree. He has potential to be much more than a pest. How well will he do when he hasn't had a week of the media crying about his mistreatment? I was thoroughly unimpressed with how he played

If he doesn’t get free kicks he struggles to score or impact games. I’ve never been a fan as I hated the Selwood arm lift & Ginni did it every single contest when he played for us in 2022. If he stood up & played the ball he would get beaten 9 times out of ten. He knows it too, hence the constant play for free kicks. At least Selwood tried to break a tackle. Jack has no interest in doing that. Just has always wanted the cheap free kick.
If as you say he wanted the cheap free kick, he got 2 of them and converted them. His goal in the last quarter along with his subsequent antics and celebrations got Hawthorn back into a winning position. Also did stuff around the ground. Stop pretending we don't miss him or someone like him with a bit of personality and charisma.

If as you say he wanted the cheap free kick, he got 2 of them and converted them. His goal in the last quarter along with his subsequent antics and celebrations got Hawthorn back into a winning position. Also did stuff around the ground. Stop pretending we don't miss him or someone like him with a bit of personality and charisma.

Stop telling people what they do and don’t like.

Genuinely don’t miss him. It was fun whilst it lasted.

I feel it's time to give sidebottom a tap on the shoulder and say thanks mate but your time is finished he keeps taking short steps he won't put his body on the line any longer and I feel the same for Howe yes they have been great servents but it's time cox has to make way for Kruger if fit next week . The way we played that second half was abismal we weren't even trying to be creative just bomb it long surly we have evolved to be better then that

I have a sneaking suspicion part of the issue is all the coaching upheaval/merry go round

I know we want to “develop our people” but this is a football team. Not a HR Department.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 4 = Collingwood 77-72 Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back