Toast Round 4 = Collingwood 77-72 Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

As they say, like the beautiful game of test cricket, football is a funny game. The initial thought after a game like that is that immediate prospects look bleak. The last 20 minutes of the second quarter and the Hawks were clueless, non~ competitive garbage. Against any other club, they would have capitulated, but their coach has a deep~ seated loathing of our club and knew that we would not be psychologically switched on for the resumption. Fly and the coaching staff should employ tactics to counter a resurgence, but to allow Hardwick all those uncontested chest marks was heartwrenching.

We now have a 13 day break before we meet a red hot opponent. Pendlebury may be in his 19th season, but his 2nd half absence underlined his vital importance. Let's hope he doesn't miss this vital clash.

Did you watch that 2nd half? Yes we won but you can't watch that 2nd half and think that was a great 5 point win after leading by 6 goals. No chance! That Hawthorn team would have been rolled by North or smashed by a decent side. We held on to dear life.
Not only did I watch it, but I was behind our goals in the last quarter to see us kick 0.5

If they had completely dominated and we couldn't get near our goals, I might see your point, but we convert 1 or 2 of those & we breathe easier that final minute

I never like to individualise but unfortunately that was Mason cox’s worst game in a very long time, if not ever. Not sure the club can do much in the short term but things will need to change sooner or later.. in the absence of mcStay we need to take a good look at Kreuger ( due back next start) Steene or Begg.
You don’t like to individualise then have a go at cox which is a favourite sport on BF next to having a go at AJ and blaming him.

Cox is a tap ruckman and his taps to advantage are awesome, our mids just suck atm. Didn’t see Cameron or Meek dominate the ruck either but their names aren’t Cox.

Wow.

Didn't see a second of it but on paper that second half of ours looks really disappointing.

Hard not to think that if the Hawks weren't undermanned and fielding the youngest side this round (we were the oldest) the Hawthorn Hoodoo would have struck again.

To only beat this mob by 5pts after De Goey, Mitchell and Jaicos all got 30 is an even more worrying sign.

Clearly a lot of work to do between now and the Port game in 2 weeks time.

A win is a win but **** me we played so scared in the last and let the Hawks back into the game.

Our ultra aggressive defensive positioning only works when we play ultra aggressively through the rest of the phases.

As soon as we put our foot off the gas the opposition find a spare man out the back with ease. We either need to move more man on man in defence when we want to play slow or play slow a lot less.

McStay also clearly missed up forward neither Reef or Mihocek have his presence and ability to bring the ball to ground.

Last edited:
Not sure why Maynard or Quaynor weren’t moved onto Hardwick.
I think McRae was not prepared to see Hardwick down there and though height alone would beat him. He was wrong. Hardwick did damage quickly and we didn't react fast enough. Our backline support is not quite where it needs to be either. Murphy being out is really disruptive. Need him back yesterday.

Lay off it Ed.

Your insufferable doom mongering posting gives fair rise to what Jmac said. It’s genuinely comes across as if you want us to lose sometimes.

Nah

That’s most of you projecting

My first post in the thread was about how we’ve had a good start

Second post was about Schultz’s goal

Yet which one got the attention? The third post about Pendles needing to be “managed”

So yeah, you guys look for it

You don’t like to individualise then have a go at cox which is a favourite sport on BF next to having a go at AJ and blaming him.

Cox is a tap ruckman and his taps to advantage are awesome, our mids just suck atm. Didn’t see Cameron or Meek dominate the ruck either but their names aren’t Cox.
Darcy Cameron could actually take a mark though

We cannot underestimate the losses of both McStay and Murphy at both ends of the ground and how it's affecting our overall structure.

Without Murphy down back, Moore has looked like a shadow of himself. His biggest strength is intercept marking but forcing him into a 1-on-1 contest is fraught with danger. Frampton has done well to mitigate Murphy's absence, but it's still impacting us.

McStay would be very handy right now to give us some height and to ease the burden on on our forwards, particularly Mihocek who's been forced to play as a first tall rather than as a natural third tall. McStay was averaging 2-goals a game in the second half of last season before he missed the Grand Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not giving it all away just yet but honestly thinking won’t make the 8 let alone seriously defend the Flag but anyone think we can climb the Mountain again next year?

Cox was terrible as a marking target but I thought his tap work was very clean and some of his efforts with ball on the ground were really good too. He even won a holding the ball free kick in the first half. IMO, Cameron was poor today - for second week in a row. His hot start to the season has definitely cooled.

Lipinski invisible. The Pendles/Sidey sub combo had minimal impact other than Pendles’ goal. Crisp back to being quiet again, after looking great after subbing on last week. Far too much is being left to far too few in our midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was very disappointed after the match but we scraped in for an important win I guess so I’ll take a leaf out of other’s books and move on.
Our pressure drops and our performance just follows at the moment.
Frampton showing good signs, Schulz looking a bit more comfortable, Josh was great, DeGoey and Mitchell good, JFN going well.
Overall, great first half followed by a bafflingly lack lustre second half.
Freshen up and realignment needed over the bye for sure.
Nothing that’s beyond us though.

Not only did I watch it, but I was behind our goals in the last quarter to see us kick 0.5

If they had completely dominated and we couldn't get near our goals, I might see your point, but we convert 1 or 2 of those & we breathe easier that final minute
That is all ifs buts and maybes. We all know poor kicking is poor footy, it almost cost us the GF. Missing a few shots was frustrating for sure but the problems were all over the ground and we were hanging on as they attacked us for most of the final qtr. Our 0.5 came from breaks and long shots, not from field dominance/control of the game. Although we kicked 0.5 any top side would have kicked 5.5, even 5 shots only was not good enough. That Hawthorn team should have been put to the sword, no excuses.

Feeling a little deflated by how poor our performance was in the second half. We had a 10-day break to prepare for this game in contrast to Hawthorn who had a 6-day turnaround yet they ran out the game with more run far better than we did. I'm trying to understand why this was the case.

On the positives, our first half performance was very good. Noble's making the most of his opportunities and sticking up to the selection committee. Frampton is making good progress in his development and is becoming an increasingly reliable defender. I felt that this was also Schultz's best performance for our club, and he's slowly adapting to our system of play which is a real positive. He also got some reward for effort on the scoreboard.

2-3 isn't a catastrophe considering we were 0-3. I think we need to be 4-4 to stand a chance of doing anything of relevance this year. Our next three games after the bye are Port Adelaide (H), Essendon and Carlton. We need to win 2 of those 3.

I think we need to win all 3.
I never like to individualise but unfortunately that was Mason cox’s worst game in a very long time, if not ever. Not sure the club can do much in the short term but things will need to change sooner or later.. in the absence of mcStay we need to take a good look at Kreuger ( due back next start) Steene or Begg.

Steene should be given games looked promising in preseason games.

Not giving it all away just yet but honestly thinking won’t make the 8 let alone seriously defend the Flag but anyone think we can climb the Mountain again next year?

It depends on how the recruiting goes.

We still have the talent at a young enough age to remain a contender for years to come. But we will need to fix the structural issues which have been exposed by injuries.

If we can find an elite midfielder in their mid 20s to replace Pendles would be even better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 4 = Collingwood 77-72 Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back