Autopsy Round 4: Hawks have mare against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Worps is a Crimmins medalist playing midfield, he needs to be played there in my opinion.
May help for the mid-season draft is there another Newcombe out there.
Who cares that Worpel won a B&F in 2019. What possible relevance does that have to how he is (not) playing in 2022?

NB: Shane Woewodin won a Brownlow in 2000 and was dead ordinary for the next 2 seasons at Melbourne so they traded him to Collingwood (and he kept going backwards into retirement).

The fact Newcombe went undrafted, we pluck him in a mid season draft of left overs and at the age of 20 he is currently our 2nd best midfielder after T. Mitchell says plenty.

Looking at CBAs:
28 Reeves
26 Duke
25 Jaeger
20 Titch
12 Worpel
9 Nash* some as ruck
7 Finn (after HT)
6 Ward
3 MacDonald

Duke i dont mind, Jaeger too many did nothing again.
Titch was really good so that's good, Worpel 12 is enough chances and for 5 touches just..

Ward had 19 last week and 6 this week (high scoring) not enough, not close to enough.

CMac getting a few is good need the class.

According to the Team Stats we had 34 to 30 clearances our best so far this season. I can't work that out. But I'm sure there are some experts out there who can tell me why with the exception of Newk our midfield got hammered?

Happy to give our youth time! Our senior players on the other hand happy to introduce them to Boxhill.

As for Worpel i am happy to keep him in the team, i feel Sam is asking him to play different roles at times.
Worpel is 23 now. Despite his role, if he is declared fit enough to play you'd hope for more than 5 kicks and 1 tackl, unless my stats aren't updating. If he's sore, better giving someone fit a run. You'd hope at least the replacement player could hold a position in our defensive structure

I reckon the first two weeks was a false economy ... but we're not that bad surely. Just insipid today.
Where the two sides we beat sit on the ladder tells a bit of a story. We will finish where most expected us to at the start of the year - bottom 6. Just can’t win many games with the worst midfield in the competition. One of O’Meara or Worpel should be dropped. They are just wasting time in there - completely ineffective footballers at the moment .

We will have better weeks than this obviously but expect a few thumping this year with the midfield we have

Last edited:
We’re obviously running the gauntlet with our slingshot, attack at all cost style.
Right now it’s not always working with our young side and the skills are not where they need to be to support this gameplay, but I'm going to back Sammy and the coaches here.
This is how you learn.
Keep going.

We’re obviously running the gauntlet with our slingshot, attack at all cost style.
Right now it’s not always working with our young side and the skills are not where they need to be to support this gameplay, but I'm going to back Sammy and the coaches here.
This is how you learn.
Keep going.

Yep. Better to lose the right way. Puts our flaws out in the open and allows us to access and amend. I'll take it any day instead of a 'courageous' 3 goal loss playing dour boring footy.

According to the Team Stats we had 34 to 30 clearances our best so far this season. I can't work that out. But I'm sure there are some experts out there who can tell me why with the exception of Newk our midfield got hammered?
I guess it could be an issue of the quality of clearance. A hack handball along the ground to a saints player isn't really a useful clearance.
I hope Long gets a game next week. 1p tackles at BH today.. otherwise Shiels seemed to play pretty well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who cares that Worpel won a B&F in 2019. What possible relevance does that have to how he is (not) playing in 2022?

NB: Shane Woewodin won a Brownlow in 2000 and was dead ordinary for the next 2 seasons at Melbourne so they traded him to Collingwood (and he kept going backwards into retirement).

The fact Newcombe went undrafted, we pluck him in a mid season draft of left overs and at the age of 20 he is currently our 2nd best midfielder after T. Mitchell says plenty.
The relevance is he was playing predominantly midfield when he was playing his best footy.
He’s not a forward and his form has shown that.

Out: Day (concussion protocol), Howe, Macdonald (rested), Worpel
In: Lynch, Long, Phillips, Shiels

First time I'm ever suggesting that Worps play in the reserves. Honestly, at this point I think it will end up better for him and the side in the long run. He'll dominate and know that his spot isn't guaranteed in the seniors every week.

I thought Finn did okay in the half he played. He tried to make Greshem earn it with that tackle and was stiff to get done for in the back. It looked like it meant something to him to be out there.

Duke may have gone past him but really he needs to play predominantly midfield, currently JOM and Mitch are pushing him out.

He’s a midfielder being asked to play forward.
That’s the problem with most of our midfielders, they aren’t very good anywhere else.

Worps is a Crimmins medalist playing midfield, he needs to be played there in my opinion.

Time to move on from JOM, his body just doesn’t allow him to be that burst player he was.
Agree. Think the time has finally come to move one of Mitchell or Jaeger (or both) out at the seasons end. Worpel needs his opportunity to play more full time midfield… it’s no coincidence he’s struggled since they’ve both been back in the side…

Think Worps might be carrying an injury or if he’s just low on confidence maybe a week off or spell at Box Hill may not be the worst thing for him- just to freshen up and work on a few things…

Sad to see him the way he was today after such a promising start to his career… but definitely have faith that he can turn it around and get back to his best...

Last edited:
A somewhat predictable crash landing.
Gee we looked flat even before half time.

Credit to the saints, brought the pressure, set up well and converted. Yet we still had similar scoring shots before the flood gates opened.

Our senoir players are not of the standard that can carry most of the load when the kids have quite days. Ward and Mcdonald looked like kids who need a rest.

Big positive was Ned Reeves working his heart out and showing glimpses of what could be in a couple of years.

I went along today with great expectations, but the only thing I really enjoyed after the first 2 minutes was that the 2's played before the main game. God I miss that part.
Abysmal performance. To see Hardwick continually butcher the ball was horrible to watch. Reeves played really well for someone so inexperienced. It's true what Jack Dyer said, as the game goes on, short players get tired, but tall players don't get shorter.
Worpel's game was a shocker and he looks to have completely lost self confidence. It seemed to be evident last week when he went for so many balls one handed. Shiels and Phillips were the standouts for Box Hill, Long was also good. I would think that Shiels and Phillips will come in next game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4: Hawks have mare against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back