Autopsy Round 4: Hawks have mare against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how many times i seen a Saints player was nearly in possession (not in possession yet) and 2 or 3 Hawthorn players would run at him leaving there players free, just for the saints player to give an easy handball out and they were away. Also when a Saints player was in possession and the Hawthorn players were holding back, staying off them, or slowing down on the chase (thinking they were gonna kick) giving them an extra couple of steps to balance up and deliver instead of going full tilt at them... Frustrating!
that a confidence thing - port did the same against us, and when things are going against you everyone feels they have to be the one to turn the tide, so structures collapse

We do. They're just both injured.
Than what we should be doing is playing either Jeka or Callow and using Lewis as the 2nd ruck. Sure right now it's a downgrade because your taking your best forward away for periods of a game but on the flipside your exposing Jeka or Callow to the big time which they need and it allows Nash to just worry about hunting the ball as a mid. Feel like we were just happy to concede we were going to lose the ruck battle instead of trying to find a way to neutralise an advantage they had.

On a side note Ned Long and Newcombe in the same team will provide more defensive grunt and pressure alone than the entire midfield currently are. Long is a competitive animal already. Love his attitude. We need players like him setting the tone for the young guys. I rekon he is very close to getting a game. Just need to see consistency over 4 qtrs now because he's 1st half today was excellent.

I thought he was more gassed by the final quarter, certainly getting run down would suggest that
Maybe - I thought he completely lost awareness of what was around him and started playing for his highlights reel. The goal where the Saints player stepped around him in the pocket was absolutely terrible. He just stopped.

Young players should get leeway, but they also need to know what the standards are.

Sorry for the intrusion, wondering if Kosi is injured or out of favour? Chance of him playing on Monday week?
Doubt he plays next week- is being made to earn his spot under Mitchell. We’ve changed our structure slightly since last year just playing the one true key forward Mitch Lewis along with Jack Gunston as the other tall… so he’s been forced out on the back of that…

He went off early today in the Box Hill game with a scratch to the eye so won’t return until he recovers from that and shows some form at the lower level or we decide to change the current setup and go with an extra key forward… been unlucky

Last edited:
Some of these stats tell a story:
  • 9 turnovers in our back 50 alone
  • 22 marks I50 for the Saints.

Tells you how bad our defence was today. Hardwick had 3 clangers himself, all in the back 50, that resulted in goals.

Next week we have Hawkins and Cameron.

It's a brutal game. A fickle game.

The measure of this side will be how we respond in a big game. The acid is on the senior players. Gunston had 3 touches for the day. It's not good enough.

I'd say Lynch, Shiels and Phillips will all come in.

We have to stop the bleeding.

The relevance is he was playing predominantly midfield when he was playing his best footy.
He’s not a forward and his form has shown that.
Well unless Sam decides he’s willing to allow Worpel to play the role Worpel wants to play, we have this situation where Worpel plays worse than most others in the team.

The tail can’t be allowed to wag the dog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unusual to see so many players who are usually clean with the ball, fumble or turn it over. Saints pressure a factor but maybe something else as well.

The main positives for me were Reeves and Maginness. Thought Nash did OK as backup ruck. Lewis presented but forwards need to kick straight. Newcombe got some ball but turned it over. DGB had a shocker. Impey very rusty.

The scoreline was very ugly but cleaner ball handling could have easily gotten us into the game.

Unusual to see so many players who are usually clean with the ball, fumble or turn it over. Saints pressure a factor but maybe something else as well.

The main positives for me were Reeves and Maginness. Thought Nash did OK as backup ruck. Lewis presented but forwards need to kick straight. Newcombe got some ball but turned it over. DGB had a shocker. Impey very rusty.

The scoreline was very ugly but cleaner ball handling could have easily gotten us into the game.

Agree Hardwick and Impey both pretty poor with the footy and Gunners didn't get near it very unusual.
- Finn was okay his disposal still lacks but far from our worst.

Realistically Worpel,Howe,Ward,Nash, could all get dropped or a rest but I agree with the above comment Worpel and even Ward are played out of position.

We’ve got three key forwards in the VFL. And not one of them can get a look in.
I went along today with great expectations, but the only thing I really enjoyed after the first 2 minutes was that the 2's played before the main game. God I miss that part.
Abysmal performance. To see Hardwick continually butcher the ball was horrible to watch. Reeves played really well for someone so inexperienced. It's true what Jack Dyer said, as the game goes on, short players get tired, but tall players don't get shorter.
Worpel's game was a shocker and he looks to have completely lost self confidence. It seemed to be evident last week when he went for so many balls one handed. Shiels and Phillips were the standouts for Box Hill, Long was also good. I would think that Shiels and Phillips will come in next game.

Hardwicks kicking today was horrendous.

Thought Lewis, Mitchell and Newcombe could take the paycheque without guilt. Scrimshaw was good in first half but faded. Day was having a good game until the hit. A few others like Breust and Morrison had moments but not much to write home about after that.
CJ started brightly but dropped the bundle a bit with 2 worrying efforts resulting in Saints goals that were horrid and matched the one from last week. 😕

Going fwd, Shiels and Phillips earned call ups. Long deserves a shot and Lynch has to come in to give both Reeves and Nash a chop out.
Out goes Finn, Worps, Howe and either the least freshest out of CMac or Ward.
Going to have look after the new draftees. Showing signs of being gassed already after only 4 games.

It also needs to be kept in mind StKilda are in ripping form.
A win against Freo and a last quarter demolition of Richmond

Having our ex senior assistant in the coaches box and ex captain on the bench also plays a role.

Not excusing us having a shit afternoon but we wont be the only side the Aints grab hold of this season.

We were due for one of these, Better today than next Monday if you ask me.

We gave up sooo many goals from poor skills. BUT

We were also trying to attack, so I’m happier to lose like that when we are at least attacking
Very good point. It’s easier to deal with when it’s a young team trying to attack and failing. Rather than an old team creaking (hello Easter Monday 2017)

Well unless Sam decides he’s willing to allow Worpel to play the role Worpel wants to play, we have this situation where Worpel plays worse than most others in the team.

The tail can’t be allowed to wag the dog.
Worpel’s only good season was when Mitchell was out for the whole year. I don’t know how you fix that, you cannot have two of this same player in the same team.

Phillips - Howe
Shiels - Worpel.
Long - Ward.
Kosi - ? We need another marking target.

Trying to keep the age demographic the same. Would like to see Worpel and Ward played in the center bounce and dominate the vfl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4: Hawks have mare against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back