Autopsy Round 4: Hawks have mare against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Turnover after turnover, could possibly be Hardwick worse kicking display. He was one of Saints best players.

Reeves good

Nuke has it, great game.

Day just can’t get a run at

Yesterday my own side lead 33-0 at quarter time and we were still 29 points up at 3 quarter time. Of course we ended up losing by 3 points. I had a mare to go along with it. Would have registered about a quarter of the touches I normally would. Was hating footy already...

and then today happened.

Just one of those weeks.

Out played by a side who matches up very well against us.

The only positives were Dylan Moore still being in All Australian form, Ned Reeves, Mitch Lewis having 8 shots on goal and still managing to have 23 scoring shots despite being flogged.

He did try and trade them to anyone that was interested if you remember back 4 months. Sam knows what he has got and that is a slooooooow midfield that runs one way .
Right, so now drop a few. Phillips should be in for at least one of them. Long had a great game today. If we don't wanna lose too much experience, bring back Shiels. Would rather him in as acting captain than Omeara.

Not sure how many times i seen a Saints player was nearly in possession (not in possession yet) and 2 or 3 Hawthorn players would run at him leaving there players free, just for the saints player to give an easy handball out and they were away. Also when a Saints player was in possession and the Hawthorn players were holding back, staying off them, or slowing down on the chase (thinking they were gonna kick) giving them an extra couple of steps to balance up and deliver instead of going full tilt at them... Frustrating!

This is one of those games we expected to see in a rebuilding year.
Still didnt make it pleasant to watch mínd you.
It won’t be the first or the last. I can actually wear today’s loss, it’ll show a young side what happens when you don’t show up. Pies and the Blues were the media faps all season, this weekend has put paid to that. Sam‘s new game plan will result in turnovers but when they go, look out. Old cliche, but this is the short term pain for the long term gain.

Got to work out who are our best mid fielders in the guts and cut 2-3 others who can’t play any other position, midfield is too much of the same
Worpel needs a spell
Howe not up to it, too slow in making a decision, that’s why his kicks get smother, gets caught or turns it over under pressure, don’t know if you can change that thought processs
Can’t play Maginness if O’Meara and Worpel are in the team, all poor kicks
Phillips and Long should come in, and a tall in the forward line
Phillips isn’t great kick but gives us some pace on the outside, which has helped us when coming on as the sub

I don't think this result was very surprising when you look at our games this year.

In the first round we had a come from behind win against a team currently sitting second bottom.

We then had a decent win against the team currently sitting dead last when they had their best forward and best defender missing, despite a big statistical deficit against us in several key metrics. When then got blown away in the first quarter last week against a team currently getting smashed by GC, and only by Carlton doing what carlton does so regularly (completely dropping their bundle and shitting the bed) did we get close. Saints are a real top 8 team, and thwarted the best parts of our game, while making us look sillier than usual in the other parts.

Lewis very decent (apart from goal kicking, but he was kicking a lot from close to the boundary, so somewhat forgiveable). Newcombe very good, thought Finn was decent after he came on. Impey not too bad for first game back. Day looked class as usual before going off. Gunston struggled. Not sure if Worpel had a tagging role or not, but if not, possibly Worpel's worst game since becoming a regular best 22 player. Not sure what's going on with him, but isn't justifying his spot in the side right now. Only saw the first part of the VFL game, and read he faded after half time, but giving Long a crack while Worpel tries to build up some form in the VFL does seem like a bad option to me.

We've still got a long way to go, but that's ok as I think we all knew that coming into the season.

I like how calm S.Mitchell is no matter what is going on in the game.

Yesterday my own side lead 33-0 at quarter time and we were still 29 points up at 3 quarter time. Of course we ended up losing by 3 points. I had a mare to go along with it. Would have registered about a quarter of the touches I normally would. Was hating footy already...

and then today happened.

Just one of those weeks.

Out played by a side who matches up very well against us.

The only positives were Dylan Moore still being in All Australian form, Ned Reeves, Mitch Lewis having 8 shots on goal and still managing to have 23 scoring shots despite being flogged.

Next week:

Out: Blackhawk42

;)

This Hawk fan is not concerned at all, from the start i always thought our season would be very up and down.

I feel like Sam is tweaking his game plan, and testing players during games. It felt like Mitchell spent more time in the middle than normal with Sam.

I just hope we keep playing the kids and looking for our missing link in the middle and at CHF.

Until the mid season draft, lets give the like of Long, Callow, Jeka and Serong ago and not at the expense of other youth unless they really need a rest. I hope Butler stand up and demands a game.

Hartigan and Howe needs to stay at boxhill. Phillips is under pressure and it does not bode well for the futures of Saunders and Mitchell.S being dropped from Boxhill this early.

A few positives, Lewis kept fighting and needs a CHF to help out. An Impey's first game back from iniury.

The ups and downs are all a part of this new Hawks Journey.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got absolutely monstered on the inside then outworked once the ball was funneled out. The Saints took their opportunities early (and were the beneficiaries of some truly awful decisions) but the final scoreboard was pretty reflective of their general dominance.
On a final note Paddy Ryder is a nasty piece of work, the bloke never hits someone his own size. He refused to put his head over the footy after that incident- weak as piss. Deserves two weeks at a minimum and I hope he gets his on field comeuppance the next time we play them. Frost patting him on the back made me feel sick

Newk was terrific. Impey sloppy but good for the run, Lewis needs more craft around his set shots. More around the corner kicks when on the angle. Ward and McDonald looked tired. Will enjoy the long break before Cats.
Worps played his worst game yet and that is saying something.
Maginness just doesn’t have it. Neither does Howe. Nor Nash (at least he looks like he is trying.
We need another tall forward. Someone who can also play down back would be good. Can’t believe one of Carlow, Jeka or Kosi is not playing CHB @ Box Hill.

Agreed.

Next 4-5 weeks should be telling.

Geelong (MCG)
Sydney (Tas)
Melbourne (MCG)
Essendon (Colonial)
Richmond (MCG)

We should win one, maybe a chance for two. Can't see us winning three. But it's entirely possible we don't win any of them. The Scum always seem to take it to us.

Edit: my prediction is we won't grace the Top 8 again until next season.

May help for the mid-season draft is there another Newcombe out there.

Thought Lewis was good today, didn't kick straight but geez he has a beautiful set of hands and is much better now at staying in the game when things ar not going his way. Big props to the kid.

Our midfield though......wowza!

We essentially have Mitch, JOM and Worps as the senior contingent and Worps and JOM are this close to being dropped. Mitch to his credit never stops trying whatever his other shortcomings may be.

And then we have nothing till what, Duke and Ward? Phillips and Shiels?

Honestly our list management in the midfield space has been deplorable, no two ways about it.

Getting thumped now and then as a young side is something we all expected but those midfield issues are going to hurt for years to come unfortunately 😢

I'll preface this by saying that it had no impact on todays game as we were absolutely terrible, but the number of absolute howler umpiring decisions against us in the last 2 games is staggering.

Both weeks I've heard multiple Carlton and St Kilda supporters around me commenting to each other about how much they were getting the rub of the green and how certain decisions against us were completely wrong.

It's getting really frustrating watching these mistakes and knowing that nothing will be said because of this whole "umpiring respect" campaign the AFL is on this year, which is playing out in a way that doesn't hold the umpires accountable for shocking decisions.

I can accept mistakes will be made. But for decisions to go the complete opposite way of what everyone else in the stadium is thinking is just ridiculous.

I reckon we need a second ruckman to give Ned a reprieve and so that Nash can fulfill what he's trained 2 seasons to do, play as a big bodied mid.

When the young fellas like McDonald, Ward and CJ have the inevitable quieter game you'd hope the senior mids would show a bit more. Jaeger, Dimma and Worpel all had complete Barry Crocker's today.
We just seemed really fumbly and indecisive with the footy. Our tackles always seems to allow them a handball out.

I'm confident we'll be pretty competitive against the Scats.

Not our day, but despite a drubbing, good to have some positives - all of which bode will for the future:

• Lewis, despite not having the radar on, still kicked three and hit some contested marks (a beauty in the last);
  • Newcombe, despite not having many games to his name, was impactful with clearances and I50s;
  • Moore, despite a quiet second half, still played an important role for us early, and is going to be a key small forward for us over the next 7-10 years;
  • Reeves, did better around the ground and held his own at points against a more experienced ruck duo

Concerns:
  • Our midfield depth and stocks are underwhelming. Going to be the challenge over the next few years to turn this train around.
  • Worps - surely he's injured as he was labouring at parts in the second half, needs a rest at any rate
  • Experienced heads were off today - expect them to bounce back next week against the Cats

Plenty of learning, but hopefully Mitchell isn't too heavy-handed, need to preserve any confidence for future weeks
Happy to give our youth time! Our senior players on the other hand happy to introduce them to Boxhill.

As for Worpel i am happy to keep him in the team, i feel Sam is asking him to play different roles at times.

Thought Lewis was good today, didn't kick straight but geez he has a beautiful set of hands and is much better now at staying in the game when things ar not going his way. Big props to the kid.

Our midfield though......wowza!

We essentially have Mitch, JOM and Worps as the senior contingent and Worps and JOM are this close to being dropped. Mitch to his credit never stops trying whatever his other shortcomings may be.

And then we have nothing till what, Duke and Ward? Phillips and Shiels?

Honestly our list management in the midfield space has been deplorable, no two ways about it.

Getting thumped now and then as a young side is something we all expected but those midfield issues are going to hurt for years to come unfortunately 😢
Not sure what Mitchell doesn't rate about Phillips but have felt his 2 games as medical sub he was pretty good.

I agreed re: Lewis. A few of his shots were from difficult positions. At least he was getting shots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4: Hawks have mare against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back