Preview Round 5, 2018: St.Kilda v GWS - Etihad Stadium, Saturday 21st April, 1:45PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good chance. Was named 2nd best for Sandy after Darragh Joyce, and followed by Billy Longer.

For me,
OUT Roberton, Marshall (both injured) and Lonie.
IN Joyce Longer and Armo.

How mobile is Austin? I would say Robbo is almost certain to be rested for a week since the docs seem genuinely confused about what went on (in terms of the cause). Could he come in for Robbo?

Also we'd better pray Membrey gets up or we're no show. Roma will probably get a week's rest for the concussion, so a forward line of Membrey, Battle, McCartin Gresham Weller Long would be interesting, smallish but mobile with one big target.

Weller did not have much of a game for Sandy apparently, so I would not bring him in in preference to the players that had good games. Membrey if he is fit I would bring in, not sure who to make room for him though. Maybe Newnes.

If Marshall is good to go then don't make a change in that area - keep Hickey and Marshall in the side. Let Longer get some continuity before he comes back in.

GWS have a tall forward line with Cameron, Himmelburg and Patton so bring in the extra tall and let Carlisle take the third one so he can peel off.

Just gift an average VFL player a game causr we might as well?

New selection criteria, dont play well, dont have to be up to AFL footy, just get a game for being on the list.

Does he also get a participation ribbon?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
But Joffa, there is the flip side
2018 senior player selection criteria - don't play well, don't be up to AFL standard, don't show leadership, don't make a genuine effort, display disgraceful skills and decision making, show no heart or pride in the jumper and you will continue to get a game in the one's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How mobile is Austin? I would say Robbo is almost certain to be rested for a week since the docs seem genuinely confused about what went on (in terms of the cause). Could he come in for Robbo?

Also we'd better pray Membrey gets up or we're no show. Roma will probably get a week's rest for the concussion, so a forward line of Membrey, Battle, McCartin Gresham Weller Long would be interesting, smallish but mobile with one big target.
I don't think we could play Carlisle, Brown and Austin. That would be way to immobile, especially because Robbo is such a mobile and attacking defender.

I don’t believe making wholesale changes to the 22 will make one iota of a difference. Individual personnel is not the issue, it’s the whole team dynamics that is the problem. It’s an epidemic. Sloane could come into the 22 this week & have no impact on the outcome of the game. The gameplan/structure is rotten to the core with no immediate fix in sight.

It's not great viewing
So many possesions in defensive 50
View attachment 484309
The glaring hole in this to me is the CHF area, we need Billings, Paddy, Marshall, membrey, Acres (When fwd) etc to be leading here to open it up a little.
From watching games live and on tv we go to the wings too much and leaves us with crappy kick into the fwd line.

I think Marshall and Robbo will both be out this week, Marshall knock from billings was an elbow to the jaw/head so think his concussion will sit him for the week, but wait and see.
I would have Battle come in as he is the next fwd up in my book, that is for Marshall.

With Robbo there are a couple of options, I would bring Hunter in and if required he can go back but would prefer him in mid/half fwd role where his kicking skill to our fwds will help. The other option is they bring in a either Austin or Rice as a defender, but we already have White and Coff down there with less than 10 games each so i would prefer Gilbert and Newnes head down there to help out without robbo down there. Although obviously both of them butcher the ball but not much else we can do.

I don’t believe making wholesale changes to the 22 will make one iota of a difference. Individual personnel is not the issue, it’s the whole team dynamics that is the problem. It’s an epidemic. Sloane could come into the 22 this week & have no impact on the outcome of the game. The gameplan/structure is rotten to the core with no immediate fix in sight.

Pretty much this!

But watch, we’ll keep rotating campaigners in and out of the VFL to no effect.

Richo bemused at how Lonie can have such an influential game in the midfield at VFL level, yet not make much of an impact as a small pressure forward at AFL.

Here you go - compare this to the rabble of the first few weeks of this season. Personnel is not that much different - Rooey barely got a touch in the last quarter, Joey was solid though.

Just keep an eye to the right hand side of the screen at every opportunity. I can see only one instance when there is less than 2 Saints players inside 50 every time we move it forward.

Its clearly a change in coaching tactics (pushing high) but it is an unmitigated disaster.

Gee Minchington was really good in that game. great tackling, pressure and skills. Something were seriously lacking right now.

Lets say Webster/Membrey/Marshall/Roberton are injured and wont play.
Gilbert (to play backup ruck)

i'd go out: Marshall, Roberton,
in: Battle, Austin

Let Brown Go to Patton and Austin to go on Cameron with Carlisle playing Robbo's role and intercepting marks/setting up play. Battle needs to come on so that we have a link player and that Paddy can play a bit more deeper in the 50.

If Webster/Marshall/Membrey are all good then id go
Out: Gilbert and Lonie
In: Webster and Membrey

Here you go - compare this to the rabble of the first few weeks of this season. Personnel is not that much different - Rooey barely got a touch in the last quarter, Joey was solid though.

Just keep an eye to the right hand side of the screen at every opportunity. I can see only one instance when there is less than 2 Saints players inside 50 every time we move it forward.

Its clearly a change in coaching tactics (pushing high) but it is an unmitigated disaster.

Also, the ferocity at the ball carrier, ball skills and looking to run through the middle at nearly every opportunity - F@#$K I'm miss that type of footy. If only this season was just a nightmare and we all wake up this Saturday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back