Preview Round 5, 2018: St.Kilda v GWS - Etihad Stadium, Saturday 21st April, 1:45PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We won the clearances and contested possession count, but richo reckons we were beaten around the ball by Geelongs "physicality" which means Armo will most likely come back in. He honestly has no idea at the moment.

At first I laughed, then I cried.

Membrey, Webster and Rice please.

OUT: Roberton, Gilbert, Marshal/Billings.

If Marshal can come good for Saturday then let Billings go back to the VFL and remember he is a game winning half forward.

Injury list has been updated.
I reckon it's our longest for quite a few years.

ST KILDA

Player Injury Estimated Return

Josh Bruce Back 6-8 weeks
Nathan Freeman Hamstring 3-4 weeks
Doulton Langlands Glandular fever Indefinite
Rowan Marshall Concussion Test
Daniel McKenzie Concussion TBC
Tim Membrey Knee Test
Darren Minchington Knee 5-7 weeks
Dylan Roberton Heart Indefinite
Koby Stevens Ill TBC
Jimmy Webster Hip Test

Updated: Tuesday, April 17

Early prognosis
Roberton could be out for a while after suffering an irregular heartbeat against Geelong last Sunday. He's hopeful of returning to training next week but his coach Alan Richardson isn't as optimistic, with a no-risk approach to be taken. Membrey (right knee), Webster (hip) and Marshall (concussion) need to prove their fitness. - Dinny Navaratnam

ST KILDA

Tim Membrey Knee Test
Koby Stevens Ill TBC
Jimmy Webster Hip Test

Early prognosis
Roberton could be out for a while after suffering an irregular heartbeat against Geelong last Sunday. He's hopeful of returning to training next week but his coach Alan Richardson isn't as optimistic, with a no-risk approach to be taken. Membrey (right knee), Webster (hip) and Marshall (concussion) need to prove their fitness. - Dinny Navaratnam

Perfect timing those injuries. We really need 2 of Marshal, Membrey and Webster to get up

ST KILDA

Tim Membrey Knee Test
Koby Stevens Ill TBC
Jimmy Webster Hip Test

Early prognosis

Koby been on the prawns again?

District.jpg

Good chance. Was named 2nd best for Sandy after Darragh Joyce, and followed by Billy Longer.

For me,
OUT Roberton, Marshall (both injured) and Lonie.
IN Joyce Longer and Armo.

I don't like that ,because Armo doesn't replace any of the outs, and would squeeze into the midfield with Dusntan, Steven, and Steele. (all of who played well and beat the Cats in the clearances ). Unless.....can Armo play as a forward? Otherwise Mav in for Lonie, who was useless.

Joyce could possibly come in for Roberton, or if we aren't fussed about the height, Rice.

I hate revolving door selection, but do we want to keep White given he had 7 clangers, and gave away 5 free kicks? So we "could" bring in both Joyce and Rice.
Longer for Marshall. No. If Hickey is still there, we'd be better off with Battle, or go for a smaller forward line.

Is there an option to have either Savage, Webster, or Coffield on the wing, becasue Newnes was a shocker.

I don’t believe making wholesale changes to the 22 will make one iota of a difference. Individual personnel is not the issue, it’s the whole team dynamics that is the problem. It’s an epidemic. Sloane could come into the 22 this week & have no impact on the outcome of the game. The gameplan/structure is rotten to the core with no immediate fix in sight.
Sad but true.
We could add 2 Sloane's at almost 2M per year and see little to no visible improvement.

Player changes at this stage are unfortunately meaningless cos those playing AFL either don't play to, don't understand OR simply don't believe in the game plan just like us.

Its a cancerous growth that needs to be treated urgently before the diagnosis is called terminal.

Last edited:
I don’t believe making wholesale changes to the 22 will make one iota of a difference. Individual personnel is not the issue, it’s the whole team dynamics that is the problem. It’s an epidemic. Sloane could come into the 22 this week & have no impact on the outcome of the game. The gameplan/structure is rotten to the core with no immediate fix in sight.

I'm not sure what the actual issue is or if there is just one. We seem to have lost confidence from the North loss for a start. The loss of Joey and Rooey were supposed to actually give the kids like Seb, Billings, Newnes etc the keys to the car which would lead us to a new dawn. Instead all the gains we made with players last year like Roberton, Billings, Gresham, Seb, Membrey have all dropped away after they took their foot off the gas.

We needed to get Stuv back uninjured but he did his ankle preseason and hasn't looked right. Armo coming back was supposed to give an extra leader but he's looking like he's struggling to find fitness and form. Play fair seems to have come in with a new structure that our players are struggling to work out and our forward line started out with Paddy, Bruce (who was injured preseason and came straight in) and Membrey.

All have been below average and probably if honest very poor. The only decent small forwards have dropped right off and don't offer any scoring any more making us the 18th team for scoring in the AFL. Now 2 of the key forwards are injured and only an inexperienced KPF is in place it's not about to get heaps of improvement.

We need to get Billings and gresham hitting the score board and use Long and perhaps Wright/Lonie and Weller to make up a Richmond style smaller running forward line.

Last years game plan wasn't terrible so who know's how the **** to fix it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Throw Carlisle forward, the Richo master stroke every game we're getting ****** in

Well we are 18th for scoring, our player's confidence is shot because our tall targets are always outnumbered, we have an excess of tall backs and a shortage of (fit) tall forwards wit Membrey, Bruce, Marshall all likely to be unavailable so i think STARTING a bloke (who has proven that he can take a mark / kick a goal) in a severely inexperienced forward line makes complete sense. Won't happen tho

Hope has been hit pretty hard three weeks in a row now.
Yes it has....things have fallen apart at a rapid rate and it's just getting worse.

Injuries piling up(Koby now out for at least 7 weeks with concussion symptoms)

BUT...we stick fat....when all this nightmare eventually turns around......it will be all the more sweeter!

Yes it has....things have fallen apart at a rapid rate and it's just getting worse.

Injuries piling up(Koby now out for at least 7 weeks with concussion symptoms)

BUT...we stick fat....when all this nightmare eventually turns around......it will be all the more sweeter!
Koby wasn't in the team, and even Armo wasn't in the team. It doesn't hurt us.

Membrey hurt a little but looks like we will get him back.

The personal is important but the gameplan is probably more, which is the problem atm.

Gee you are confidant! I don't think we will win that easily!
My mood will 180 by game day mate, but this has been a season of frustration and unanswered questions. Robbo collapsing (he’s ok thankfully) was just the universe taking the pi55. Our time will come...I just hope I’m alive and able to enjoy it!!

Every week someone calls for Brown to be dropped, I just don't get it. He held Tom Hawkins, one of the better key forwards of the last decade, scoreless in a bloodbath. No he doesn't get heaps of rebounds, but that isn't his role. We play about 10 half back flankers who are meant to be doing that. It was only a couple of years ago that key forwards were consistently kicking bags on us and we were all crying out for a full back better than Rhys ******* Stanley. If we start dropping players who can actually play their role for the team we might as well just give up. It'd be great if a kid was putting up their hand to take his spot off him, but that just isn't happening.
Of course he is performing his role as a stopper but the question is, is that role still relevant? You say it's not his role to move the ball out of the backline, I think that's ludicrous he is one of the players in the defensive 50 everytime we are trying to get it out. Of course he held Hawkins goalless which is great but if he can't even receive the ball when we have it in defence then he's a liability. He is one of our tall backs but he doesn't take intercept marks. I think it's an interesting point of discussion because it's not about saying Brown is no good, it's just asking whether his role is hindering us and I think potentially it is.

Well we are 18th for scoring, our player's confidence is shot because our tall targets are always outnumbered, we have an excess of tall backs and a shortage of (fit) tall forwards wit Membrey, Bruce, Marshall all likely to be unavailable so i think STARTING a bloke (who has proven that he can take a mark / kick a goal) in a severely inexperienced forward line makes complete sense. Won't happen tho
Look at Melbourne, they can score as much as they want they still go absolutely flogged on the weekend... point is we can put Jake down forward and potentially kick a couple more goals but what we would give up at the other end with a forward line as talented as GWS is it worth it? I don’t think so, Jake could be the difference between a 60 point loss and a 100 point loss down there honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back