Autopsy Round 5, 2022: Hawks skin the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

That contest in the centre square with 1:30 remaining was extraordinary.

Tuohy kicked it from the boundary from our F50 to the centre square. Shocking decision. Selwood called for it. Terrible call. No mark, Selwood barely left the ground in the marking contest, but both CJ and Scrimshaw let the ball get out the back. Scrimshaw ended up on the ground. No. 45, Close, for the Cats seemed to get two hands on it. Breust had made the contest while Selwood ran ahead looking for a cheap handball. But Scrimshaw Jedi-mind-tricked the ball from Close's hands to Scrim's hands while sitting down. Handballs to Breust. Selwood makes zero effort to chase, Breust gets it forward.

O'Meara can't get his hands on the kick and it bounces back to our D50 where Mitchell makes a contest, Frost does the don't argue, bangs it forward to the centre circle where both Cats players leave their feet and Breust is front and centre.

Every Cat decision in the whole sequence of play was wrong. Badly wrong. We scragged and chased and got our fingertips on it, until we could bang it forward and Lewis was waiting to pounce.

Pure effort. Pure joy.

And so much pleasure in watching an old, ineffective Handbagger outfit play uniquely terrible football to gift us the goal.

Edit: Link to last 2 minutes.
https://www.afl.com.au/video/744903/last-two-mins-lewis-the-hero-as-hawks-win-easter-monday-classic

Last edited:

Credit to Shiels who shut out Dangerfield. Had little impact apart from a few Hollywood moments. Didn't go unnoticed from myself. I also thought the move of CJ onto him when the game was up for grabs was a smart tactical decision. He couldn't either outrun him or outmark him. CJ had him covered which you sensed Danger got frustrated about.

Got to love how we ran at the Cats in the first then were able to do it again in the last against the momentum.
Reckon its their kryponite and other sides will follow suit.

Over the past weeks you can see the high level of fitness is fantastic, with a young very fit team.

Such a contrast. Long may it continue.

What a win.

Chasing a 2 year old around during that final quarter was challenging, but made the victory all the more sweeter knowing I can rewatch it when he goes to bed and see things I probably missed.

Wish I could bottle today's stat line and send it back in time to 2020 Blackhawk42 berating Clarko on here for not playing Dylan Moore. Boy oh Boy what a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

John Ralph just said Hawkins will be fined for his dive.
Would be well deserved. Oh, and I'm only replying to this so I can give the quote a second thumbs up.

If anyone else would like to add another thumbs up for Jimmy Bartel (but not his wife) that'd be just grand.

Edit: I was stupid enough to think I could like my own internet drivel.

Credit to Shiels who shut out Dangerfield. Had little impact apart from a few Hollywood moments. Didn't go unnoticed from myself. I also thought the move of CJ onto him when the game was up for grabs was a smart tactical decision. He couldn't either outrun him or outmark him. CJ had him covered which you sensed Danger got frustrated about.

Well spotted. I realise only now that you mention it I barely saw Shiels, but saw even less of Dangerflog.

That contest in the centre square with 1:30 remaining was extraordinary.

Tuohy kicked it from the boundary on D50 to the centre square. Shocking decision. Selwood called for it. Terrible call. No mark, Selwood barely left the ground in the marking contest, but both CJ and Scrimshaw let the ball get out the back. Scrimshaw ended up on the ground. No. 45, Close, for the Cats seemed to get two hands on it. Breust had made the contest while Selwood ran ahead looking for a cheap handball. But Scrimshaw Jedi-mind-tricked the ball from Close's hands to Scrim's hands while sitting down. Handballs to Breust. Selwood makes zero effort to chase, Breust gets it forward.

O'Meara can't get his hands on the kick and it bounces back to our D50 where Mitchell makes a contest, Frost does the don't argue, bangs it forward to the centre circle where both Cats players leave their feet and Breust is front and centre.

Every Cat decision in the whole sequence of play was wrong. Badly wrong. We scragged and chased and got our fingertips on it, until we could bang it forward and Lewis was waiting to pounce.

Pure effort. Pure joy.

And so much pleasure in watching an old, ineffective Handbagger outfit play uniquely terrible football to gift us the goal.
this is the contest. unreal ey. Looks like Scrim is gonna go through underrated but not by us!!

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Loved this game, loved the fight back.

I have one issue - ruck infringements. I don't understand them, holding your space is considered blocking and a free against, but Hawkins is lauded for barrelling all his weight into the opposition ruck's back and getting the ball. Make it make sense.

Otherwise - fantastic stuff. Scrimshaw took a lot of risks in that last quarter in leading his man to the football, or leaving his opponent to impact the contest and get the ball back on our terms. I love that confidence all these kids have now to do these things to impact play, even if they're high risk. We're playing such a great uninhibited brand of footy.

These youngsters own their positions now and it shows. No uncertainty, no over coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 5, 2022: Hawks skin the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back