Round 5 - Carlton Vs Adelaide - Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

the problem with Betts and Walker is that you'll never know which week they'll be 'on'. The convention is 'let us give them one more week', again. Zero scoreboard contributions - jeff and waite can't be expected to kick a winning score by themselves.
Meanwhile.. Players such as armfield, ellard and lucas miss out.
Versatility is the key. If you spread too thin and key players go missing, you lose. Pick players in form and you develop depth to handle a crisis.
In Bower, armfield, lucas, ellard
Out Henderson, walker, collins, betts

Henderson not ready. Setanta too raw. Bower back. Warnock to FF with support from white/laidler. Hampson to ruck the whole game. Other 3 ins boost our midfield which is traditionally Adelaide's strength - they lock down the contest and wear us down through attrition.
Yes i just dropped our forward line but how many goals did they kick on the weekend? Opportunities for our midfield to drift forward. It's round 5 and we need to develop other options.
No to thornton! Oh and Carrots stays - you folks need a whipping boy and he's a cult favourite.

I will go out on a lim, Ratts needs to stick his kneck out this week and make a couple of statements at MC

Out:
GIBBS - He gets plenty of the ball on the outside and sure that his is part of his job as his disposal is so good, but FFS when the ball is there to be won stick your head over it and stop waiting for your team mates to do it for you....
Carrazzo - This guys is just plain crap, you need to get rid of players like this.... take look at Collingwood, players like Holland, O'bree and Lockyer who were great servants when they were crap got replaced by the likes of Toovey, Goldsack, beams etc....
Hampson - Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane, ship him off to GWS just no good

In: Lucas, Ellard, Bower/Ohailpin

What has Laidler done wrong exactly? He's clearly in our future plans and won't be going anywhere...

I don't feel that he's done anything wrong I just feel that he's fighting for a position with White when Bower comes back. White did a great job on Hurley and can't be dropped when you factor in that he was dropped for Rd 3. Not enough room for the both of them IMO.

That's not to say that I don't think that he's in our future plans because I think he is. Needs to bulk up a little more and have more of an influence on the game and stop consistently kicking it sideways or back. By all means we want him to switch the ball but he takes absolutely no risk in his kicking which I don't like, especially when he's a good kick. He tends to be happy to kick the ball sideways and let someone else make the play. I do like him, just needs a break IMO.

I don't feel that he's done anything wrong I just feel that he's fighting for a position with White when Bower comes back. White did a great job on Hurley and can't be dropped when you factor in that he was dropped for Rd 3. Not enough room for the both of them IMO.

That's not to say that I don't think that he's in our future plans because I think he is. Needs to bulk up a little more and have more of an influence on the game and stop consistently kicking it sideways or back. By all means we want him to switch the ball but he takes absolutely no risk in his kicking which I don't like, especially when he's a good kick. He tends to be happy to kick the ball sideways and let someone else make the play. I do like him, just needs a break IMO.

Mmm reasonable response. Still don't like dropping someone who has done nothing wrong; just isn't a world beater at the moment. He has all the right skills and throwing him back to the two's would dampen his development. Disagree that he needs a rest however. We are four games in have travelled once! No excuses there...

Mmm reasonable response. Still don't like dropping someone who has done nothing wrong; just isn't a world beater at the moment. He has all the right skills and throwing him back to the two's would dampen his development. Disagree that he needs a rest however. We are four games in have travelled once! No excuses there...

I think it's important we keep the back six as settled as possible. Unless form demands it, Laidler and Duigan have to stay. White is the man to make way if Bower is fighting fit.

I'd be well stoked if we could get some continuity with Duigan, Jamo, Russel, Laidler, Bower and Yarran.

I think it's important we keep the back six as settled as possible. Unless form demands it, Laidler and Duigan have to stay. White is the man to make way if Bower is fighting fit.

I'd be well stoked if we could get some continuity with Duigan, Jamo, Russel, Laidler, Bower and Yarran.

Could definetly throw White up forward if you think he is the one who has to make way for Bower

Could definetly throw White up forward if you think he is the one who has to make way for Bower

We can't drop White, he's been asked to play tall in Rd 1 and 2 and then dropped for Rd 3. He then comes back and does a great job on an in form Hurley and to drop him after this would be terrible for his confidence.

White has been better than Laidler and will play the 3rd tall role better than him at this stage. It'd be tough to drop him or White but something has to give with the return of Bower who is obviously better than both and needs to come in.

Henderson stays, let him find some touch it was only his first game back. There isn't a spot for White up forward unless we drop Walker.

Why does Laidler stay in place of White?

We can't drop White, he's been asked to play tall in Rd 1 and 2 and then dropped for Rd 3. He then comes back and does a great job on an in form Hurley and to drop him after this would be terrible for his confidence.

White has been better than Laidler and will play the 3rd tall role better than him at this stage. It'd be tough to drop him or White but something has to give with the return of Bower who is obviously better than both and needs to come in.

Henderson stays, let him find some touch it was only his first game back. There isn't a spot for White up forward unless we drop Walker.
I daresay we will be dropping Betts this week though

moran i think will play instead of Jacobs becasue Jacobs has play one league game the week after playing half a game with the bottom reserves side in the sanfl. We dont play Ethiad better than AAmi although Ethiad along with SCG are our two best interstate grounds in terms of win/loss record.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does Laidler stay in place of White?

Offers more for mine, most importantly surer disposal coming from defense, and as above I think it important that we get some continuity in his game.

Laidler is playing it a little safe at present but a few more weeks should see him synch in better with those around him.

It won't matter who you select for this game.
Adelaide will be about $5.00 to win this game, Carlton $1.60ish.

We are decimated by injury and played 8 players of under 20 games experience against Port.

From our best 22 Porplyzia, McKay, Davis, Tambling, Doughty, Stevens and Sloane were missing.
Vince, Walker and Douglas played severly restricted by injury.
The rest apart from S. Thompson were also missing but played against Port.
Our replacement CHB copped a bad ankle injury in his first game.

The team is low on confidence, short on experience and are not really responding to the coach who has been here 8 years without so much as a Grand Final appearance.
Its not falling apart, its fallen apart and its only mid April.
I know this because I have this indelable image burnt in my brain of Chad Cornes prancing around AAMI Stadium rubbing our noses in yet another Showdown smacking. Deja vu.

Basically you couldn't have got us at a better time.

I'd be interested to know, on current form who in our availble 22 is capable of hurting Carlton?

tambling and stevens i think should be back. Although we were undermanned last week we showed for a quarter and half that the team was capable of performing well with the outs now if you can do for a quarter and half all you need is to maintain discipline and intensity and you can win matches.

this injury curse gives younger players a go and we get to see who can play and who can't only helps us in the future.

Ratts signaled there would be changes after the match. He also singled out the poor performance by the forward line which left it up to Garlett and Waite to perform, he also said Walker put in a good effort as a sub.

From those comments I think there will be at least one change and that exclusions from Saturday's team will come from our incompetent forward line.

A lot of people want Carrazzo gone, he was one of our best on the weekend so I doubt that will occur.

Ratten himself was not impressed with Hampon's contest but we have no option but to keep him as a second ruck. I think it would be smart to play Hampson in the ruck the majority of the game against Adelaide because Jacobs is currently injured and the crows board are lamenting their current ruckman Ivan Maric on 3 terrible performances form 3 games this year. This would allow Warnock to go forward and be more deadly up there than Hampson who should be able to beat Maric in the ruck. I do think that the time that one of the rucking pair spends in the forward line be more spread out so that Warnock has more ruck time than Hampson does currently.

With the coach emphasising a disappointment in the forward line I expect Betts and Henderson the two most likely to be dropped. Everyone is putting Betts on warning, when he was on warning last week. Ratten was quizzed last week whether the X factor Betts would be dropped for an insipid performance against arch rival Collingwood. The number 7 in the 1995 premiership side said that he would not but acknowledged his poor form and the only real reason he could allude to him keeping his spot was from past performances and respect.

He knows Henderson would be underdone ,so that will be a matter of whether or not the MC thinks he will get to his best sooner with AFL games under his belt or VFL games. Personally I found he was too slow on Saturday and will only improve from AFL experience.

Collins was the other stand out under performer. Every time it went near him it was a disaster, he has good run but needs to improve his decision making ball collection, momentum awareness, brush up his disposal use and most importantly at a new club gain confidence. i think the club and ratten are fond of him and he will be given time to improve.

So this week i am anticipating

OUT: Eddie Betts
IN: Kane Lucas

Collins and Henderson need game time and we should be able to start them against a rattled crows side, Walker will play up forward instaed of Betts and Lucas will replace Walker as the sub.

As for who will win the game i am for the first time in my life tipp ing the blues to beat the crows. It is mainly because of the Crows now recurring poor early season form and we are playing decent enough to beat them. We just have to be careful if they play Tippet, walker and McKernan in the forward line at the same time. With Walker playing the full game we should have 3 contributors up front with Garlett and Waite as well but we will need our midfield to kick the bulk of the goals unless Warnock and Hampson can amass a few
Blues by 28

Offers more for mine, most importantly surer disposal coming from defense, and as above I think it important that we get some continuity in his game.

Laidler is playing it a little safe at present but a few more weeks should see him synch in better with those around him.

Fair enough, it's a tough choice though and I would hate to see White dropped again after a good performance but I cannot see Jamo, Bower, White and Laidler in the one defensive unit.

http://spiritofcarlton.com/blog/2011/04/17/get-your-tickets-for-round-five/
Tickets for the Round 5 Carlton V Adelaide match at Docklands will be on sale from 9.00 am Monday and will sell fast. The cost is $50.00 per ticket which includes entry to the ground a reserved seat and finger food in the Spirit of Carlton room. Your MC will be none other than Jimmy Buckley, there will be past player interviews, auctions and raffles on the day. Tickets will be sold on a first in best dressed basis. To book tickets call Justine Wratten on 0438271948, between the hours of 9am-5pm.
Please note : These tickets are only available to paid up Spirit Of Carlton members. If you have not yet joined and would like to take advantage of these wonderful tickets, please ring Justine to get your membership ASAP

I must say I have thought us to be cursed in the injury department, but we've got nothing on Adelaide

Not to suggest the Crows shouldn't get any latitude due to their injuries, but consider who we were missing in the first couple of rounds.

In terms of both quality and importance to our team, our outs were worse than their list.

I rate the Crows as a good side, and despite being in a similar position we managed to get the job done, and fairly easy for the most part. We usually don't get much credit, or perhaps even give ourselves that much credit, but when you compare the two performances we've done extremely well.

Didn't see the Bombers game but going on reports of that and the Ant's game I'll go with:

Out: Collins, Hammer, Laidler or White (whoever was worse)

In: Lucas (at HF), Irish (to play forward while 206 does the rucking and in the ruck while 206 has a rest on the bench, plus Adelaide's rucks arn't much chop), Bower.

Special mention: Play Eddie in the middle if he's not getting near it and do it before qtr time. If he still doesn't play well time to go to the Ant's for some confidence.

So:

La/Wh Jamo Jr
Duigan Bower Yazz
Gibbs Mr Ed Simo
Lucas Hendo Walker
Jeff Waite Eddie

206 Judd Murph

Irish Robbo Scotty Carrots

Robbo might make a good sub for a game. Sub him on for Walker at half time and let him crash into a tiring Adelaide for a half. He doesn't strike me as someone who will struggle to get into the game the way he plays.

Fair enough, it's a tough choice though and I would hate to see White dropped again after a good performance but I cannot see Jamo, Bower, White and Laidler in the one defensive unit.

Do we keep those four and rotate Jordan Russell as a mid-fielder ??

Does that make us too tall or slow down back ??

I wouldn't be shocked if White went forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 5 - Carlton Vs Adelaide - Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back