Autopsy Round 6, 2022: Hawks fall over against Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t totally disagree with this. Jai jas been a revelation. I agree with rei154 that no Nash as a pure midfielder doesn’t help. Nash’s tackling and pressure is excellent. I want it more than his reserve ruck work
Im far from qualified to comment re tactics, but was there an opportunity (when we couldn’t get any decent clearance or inside 50) to bring kosi into the relief ruck, rest lynch up forward and have nash as the midfielder? Breust/gunner/moore/Wingate all dangerous if it hits the ground.

Losing to Sydney is always a bitter pill to swallow but this years all about building to 2024 (My opinion). Part of the learning experience has to be you have to earn a spot not just because your hearts in the right place. Impeys under done as in not fit and Worps looks lost sometimes, don't know what the story is there. Anybody thinking the umpiring is going to improve is kidding themselves. The quality has been deteriorating for years and the AFL keeps doing bugger all about it. Whats the point of having a goal umpire at all? Any, even remotely, difficult decision is referred to video. Why not just have 2 robotic arms wave the flags. The AFL is like a crappy Council, instead of fixing the road properly they just lower the speed limit.

Whilst I acknowledge we're young, for me it's more than that. The commentators said before the game that the $wines had more players with under 50 games experience than us. Every time we lose, we can't just put it down to inexperience etc and say it was another learning ... & every time we win it's not because of youthful exuberance. IMO, the issue largely lies with our midfield. It has for a while now. Lynch was underdone, that's not his fault, Mitchell started with a bang, but then we just got smashed. The $wines mids were stronger, faster, cleaner, batted deeper, ran harder & were more skillful. Our back line was admirable for the most part, but were then inundated. Dermie summed it up beautifully when explaining Frost's game. The forwards largely rely on our mids so what hope do they have? As the game went on, our ability to win the contested ball dissipated as did our ability to get it out of the back line. Were our mids even presenting? Lynch was stuffed by then, so their talls lapped it up. We got off to a strong start no doubt, but the next 3 quarters were like Ali's rope a dope and it ended in a flurry of blows. It's so disappointing to be so close, yet so far.
This is the result of years of academy picks.

Kosi kicked 3 but had no influence, he needs to hit up the ball carrier and attack the ball in the air with more intensity.
Lewis has learnt to do this only this year.
It doesn’t help that he doesn’t have clean hands and is a two grab mark.

Will keep his spot but needs to show more with Lewis to come back and Callow breathing down his neck.

I am worried. Watching them kick so poorly last night for goal had me gulping thinking they will knock them all in against us.

Short break. Some young lads that look really tired and our third string ruck option against the best ruck and midfield of the past 20 years.

Will the Dees put the foot down and go for the slaughter or take the foot of the pedal and use the game to try some different rotations and players?
There cruising ATM and I don't think it will change next week. Were not a threat to them so I can see it playing out with them doing what they need to do to win. Could still end up a 40 point loss with them being at half rat power. I would take that TBH as long as we put in a good consistent effort all game

Kosi kicked 3 but had no influence, he needs to hit up the ball carrier and attack the ball in the air with more intensity.

Will keep his spot but needs to show more with Lewis to come back and Callow breathing down his neck.
Thought he was good but his hands other then a chest mark are like bricks, just bounces off most of the time, if he can work on this will change his game dramatically.

Kicking 3 will also help with his confidence, still needs to belong

Completely disagree with this. Kosi's intensity is high and he regularly crashes packs. He kicked 3 where we looked pretty horrible going forward other than the first quarter.

His two grabbers can be frustrating sure but he is someone that really will be better for having another tall forward next to him.

Gunston looks not to have the wheels any longer to play 2nd forward. Much better suited to 3rd forward role. Get Callow in ASAP!

I am in the Finn Maginness stays in camp. I agree that was his best game yet. His kicking mechanics look sound. He is just lacking confidence and will get there with time. Which we can afford!!!

Thank the lord that Will Day got through unscathed!

Got absolutely smashed in the ruck and we didn't have a proper leading forward. Upside is we were still ahead most of the game. We lick our wounds and move on as clarko would say. Wingard not taking the shot and Mitchell playing on were pivotal moments I thought
Agree on that. But clearly Finn called for it. And if you call for it, you need confidence in your kicking, which clearly he doesn't have.

Super frustrating day, and a lot to unpack, in a short amount of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointing last quarter, but you could see it coming the way the game had planned out after our opening blitz, Swans would have been in front a lot earlier were it not for poor goal kicking.

Thought Finn had some really good moments today.
When was Finn good? He took a solud mark but thats it for me...not AFL level at all

There cruising ATM and I don't think it will change next week. Were not a threat to them so I can see it playing out with them doing what they need to do to win. Could still end up a 40 point loss with them being at half rat power. I would take that TBH as long as we put in a good consistent effort all game

Richmond threw the kitchen sink at them all night and managed 8 goals with Bolton Lynch and Riewoldt in the forward 50.

I think it could get ugly.

Thought that was Finn’s best game. Not that it has a lot of competition, but hopefully he’s slowly but surely moving in the right direction.
Will need to improve his best game by some margin to be worth persisting with. The bar needs to be set high if you want to have a team that wants to be a genuine contender.

Completely disagree with this. Kosi's intensity is high and he regularly crashes packs. He kicked 3 where we looked pretty horrible going forward other than the first quarter.

His two grabbers can be frustrating sure but he is someone that really will be better for having another tall forward next to him.
His intensity is high when ball hits the ground and tackling pressure is good, just needs to hit the ball in the air with that same intensity is what I’m saying as I don’t think he does. He leads hard when he has space though.

He has plenty to work on and has competition for his spot which is healthy. So he would know his spot isn’t safe unless he continues to improve.

Agree on that. But clearly Finn called for it. And if you call for it, you need confidence in your kicking, which clearly he doesn't have.

Super frustrating day, and a lot to unpack, in a short amount of time.
I don't blame wingard or Finn, just think Wingard needs to take responsibility there. Small moments, shit happens. I think we missed Mitch Lewis as the focal point and one of Shiels/Phillips. Lacked the chemistry against the Cats. Learning curve for our young coach

14 disposals and 9 marks in a losing side is not a bad day’s work for someone who is 21 and has played a grand total of seven games…
14 disposals at a woeful 50% efficiency. And not for the first time. Across the first 6 rounds he hasnt got higher than 60% .He has a major flaw that needs to be addressed .

Last edited:
14 disposals and 9 marks in a losing side is not a bad day’s work for someone who is 21 and has played a grand total of seven games…
Was it 5 turnovers? His kicking is just way off the required standard. Even his low pressure kicks following a mark are about a 50/50 chance of going to an opponent. Not sure you can carry a guy who you really don’t want kicking the ball at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 6, 2022: Hawks fall over against Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back