Autopsy Round 6, 2023: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

The calls will soon start to come that RTB iS rUiNiNg tHe gAmE

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
the big bang theory sheldon GIF

Moving Rob Lowe GIF by Parks and Recreation

Extend him for 5 years.
Jeez he speaks highly of the club! You can see his eyes glaze over a bit and a smile extend all over his face when he talks about coming over the offseason. I love the kid, and reckon he will be the ultimate personification of strength through loyalty

The red indicates the area carlton occupied the most in the field.

We forced them wide and into repetitive possessions across half back.

The lack of both possessions and territory (yellow or red) in their forward half explains how dominant we were defensively in stifling their ball movement.
Look at the ground in the red square, two possessions in the whole game. This is what is astounding

1682309598565.png

The red indicates the area carlton occupied the most in the field.

We forced them wide and into repetitive possessions across half back.

The lack of both possessions and territory (yellow or red) in their forward half explains how dominant we were defensively in stifling their ball movement.
Epic that map.
Amazing how dominant our defensive structure was on a night where we were killed in the centre bounce/contested ball for a half and probably undersized in our backline.

RTB 2.0
I have no fear when teams are chipping across half back, sitting out on a wing looking to kick into our flooded defence.
Very rarely will they score from this.

The only way to score on us is roll the dice and fly through the corridor, and that is high risk behaviour because if you turn it over there we are coming straight back on a fast break

Some thoughts (probably already said)

Owens gets infringed on a lot and no whistle.

Umpiring red hot Carltons way IN their forward 50. They tried their best.

Paton was better this week with no brain fades.

Howard has improved this year by way of cutting out the stupid short passes that have plagued him.

Steele was not as ready as was made out. Still he got through the game which is good.

Best game by Brad Hill for us. Impacted contests with pressure.

Butler finally getting going again after a lean patch.

It's great we keep playing a strong four quarters. Was never worried at any stage about not getting the win.

Finally, finally, you got rid of that dross Ameet Bains/Jesus Christ avatar.
Sunlight has burst through the clouds and it’s a brand new world! 🌻🌻🌻

Dr spacemans georges work deserved a decade of admiration.

Plus I've finally come to concede that Bainsy really isn't coming back after easter (unlike jeebus).

Last edited:
The umpires were deadset cheating for Carlton in the first half and Ross was going off his block like we all were.
It certainly had that appearance in the first half. You can expect one or two dodgy decisions but there were dozens of very questionable ones. Coupled with all those dubious 50 meter penalties, that's enough for a Royal Commission. I said to Gringo last week that Carlton always gets a good run with the umps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched both pressers.

Vossy is scrambling.

Very quickly approaching "Oh ****..." territory here.

If the media pushed a little harder on their questions I rekon he'd flip the table and walk out.

Dr spacemans work deserved a decade of admiration.

Plus I've finally come to concede that Bainsy really isn't coming back after easter (unlike jeebus).
I made that picture haha

At one point we were down 30 in contested ball, Curnow and McKay making us nervous causing us to give away frees yet somehow we were still in the game. Under Ratten and probably most coaches that’s a 50+ point loss. Not with Ross.

Byrnes is building to be better than just a nice player IMO. His speed is crucial and eventually we won’t see the bad clanger kicks which there weren’t any of yesterday. He hasn’t played 50 games yet.

Owens, at this point what can you say. Star.

I wonder how Ross would be viewed if he had a decent coach for most of his career. I’ve always been a fan but you feel for him a bit because he was almost another guy whose career we’d wasted. He’s a gun.

Only negative is I think Carlton exposed our lack of a second true key defender. Not many sides have two Coleman medalists but if they’ve got two quality key forwards I think that’s where we can be got. Imagine what kind of score we give up without those nervey free kicks we gave away? Carlton probably don’t kick a goal.

If Membrey wasn’t an automatic in I’m not sure how Billings is. He’s a bit unlucky in that there’s really no one to replace for now.
The second key tall is not a massive issue. In a final, none of those free kicks are paid to a Carlton forward - no way. How they used the two talls was one area Voss got it right - worked McKay high, and Curnow closer to goal. This nullified our intercept game. But it meant there was no real chaos in Carlton’s forward line. Either a mark/free kick, or it hits the ground and our back six work the ball out well. Feel Enright was happy to concede Curnow and McKay would take a few marks but knew it would not amount to a winning score - our midfield defensive zone would not give carlton enough opportunities.

King said whatever it cost to pay Brett Ratten out is the best money we’ve spent for 20 years which is harsh but it’s kind of hard to argue.
Just don’t forget that it did not have to cost us anything. His contract was up. We reappointed him, then did a review, then sacked him, and spent the $700k we got for selling a loss to Port in Cairns. Appointing Ross was never the problem. Renewing Ratten was the problem.

Not sure what the Blues were thinking bringing Voss on board. Has two of the top 5 key forwards in the game and can't kick a score. Very average coach.

Watching the replay today, it was a worry in the first half especially, to see how our midfield didn't get anywhere near the ball at centre bounces so many times- not as if it was a man on man contest to win the ball- seems our guys were just standing too far back to make a physical contest..maybe it was a tactic, or a structural failure, but it allowed the Carlton mids to clear the ball with ease, and lucky we didn't get put away on the scoreboard early. It was similar early against Collingwood, but in both cases, got fixed eventually, but I think we need to get hands on ball better in the midfield, especially early.

Every time our defenders got within a metre of the Blues tall forwards, free kick. FTD talk about a protected species.

The entire team was ok to good, not one player I can think of who was a liability, some not at their best, but thats fine, cannot be in best form every week.

Membrey in his first game back, important. Byrnes might have had his best game for us.

Defeating Carlton is extra nice, loathe them.

Last edited:
I'm delighted with that win, so many positives already covered on this board. This is a very balanced team and I have little doubt the additions who come in over the course of the season will only add to the skill and not unbalance the team, the structures or the systems.

Very early I know and having suffered through more than half a century of pain it might be ridiculous, a curse even, to forecast a change to the footy gods attitude to us. But...........surely the karma wheel turns?

We're Saints waltzing up to heaven's door, its time the doors opened to let us through FFS!!

Ross changed coaching last time he was with us. He's doing it again.

Watch the lesser mortals copy him. It'll happen just like last time (the Collingwood press... gtfo with that bulls*t)

But Ross is to coaching what the Beatles were to songwriting.

Hopefully the others will be Oasis at best.

Bolt down the laptops boys... they'll be coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 6, 2023: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back