Autopsy Round 6, 2023: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

King said whatever it cost to pay Brett Ratten out is the best money we’ve spent for 20 years which is harsh but it’s kind of hard to argue.
Just don’t forget that it did not have to cost us anything. His contract was up. We reappointed him, then did a review, then sacked him, and spent the $700k we got for selling a loss to Port in Cairns. Appointing Ross was never the problem. Renewing Ratten was the problem.
Check out the background conversation happening during the Membrey interview.

Our coaches votes totals after that round

28: Sinclair (4 games voted in)
24: Wilkie (4)
16: Wood (3)
10: Higgins (2), Owens (2)
9: Marshall (3)
6: Steele
4: Crouch (2), Hill (2)
2: Battle, Phillipou, Ross (2)
1: Butler, Byrnes

Sinclair currently 4th in the league, Wilkie 5th

Finally watched the second half. A couple things
- my god MasonWood is just an absolute weapon. Some of his kicks and marks under pressure are something else.

- Espescially in the third qtr, some of the Pou’s defensive work was elite. The second effort tackle on Charlie was great. No way he gets dropped.

- although steely was struggling some of his taps and knocks were pivotal.

- Clark so happy for him atm

- Howard. I’ve been one of his biggest critics but props to him I thought he was excellent.

- just genreally our skills have improved ten fold largely based on the way we play.

- our team is all about running pressure and running back in defence. It’s why guys like Byrnes , Wood, Butler, Ross will get games every week. For this reason I would have loved to see Blake in this team.

- cannot wait for winx to be in the 50 with Owens and the Pou.

Massive game against Port. Stock a tag on Rosee.

Maybe should change the system to two central umpires following the play, two secondary umpires keeping an eye on the players off the play at either end. A bit more like linesmen in soccer or the secondary refs in grid iron.
I ve been saying for years one umpire should be off ground watching it on tv and in the ear of the on field umpires

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Donald Trump should have got Ross Lyon to build a wall.
'The Great Wall of St.Kilda' is doing the rounds on social media in reference to our back six. Love to see it.

I know it's a bit lame to focus on petty opposition stuff when there's so much positivity to concentrate on within our own club,

Buuuuuut for anyone like me who can't stand Carlton. I thoroughly recommend reading their gameday thread. From the start with their fake confidence, to where the doubts and frustrations start to creep in, to the anger with the coach and players and THEN you realise... it's only the SECOND QUARTER!

After half time, the mood sinks to deep set anger and the crushing realisation that Yes, they are still shithouse and might always be. All the elephants in the room get mentioned, no one is safe except maybe Walsh. Then it is just a feast of salty snacks all the way to the inevitable death. I recognise that hope and despair but as much empathy as I feel, I cannot allow myself to feel sad for Blues fans: they are uber flags and need another couple of generations of humbling to get close to understanding.

A couple of asides: 3 separate posters used variations of the word "grrrrrr" - the mark of a TRUE social media blouse. Its like shops with names like "Stylish Cuts" or "Cool Guys" - those words have the opposite to intended effect. "Grrrr" makes you look beta.

- my god MasonWood is just an absolute weapon. Some of his kicks and marks under pressure are something else.
Wood has to be the most improved player at the club in recent years, considering where he was just two years ago.

He's gone from being a VFL player getting an occasional call up to the big time, to one of our most valuable players and in contention for AA.

His aerobic capacity is outstanding, evident by his success in the preseason time trials. It means he's able to take intercept marks in defence but still regularly snag a couple of goals when up forward. All the while providing a good one on one target on the wing.

He plays a similar role to Isaac Smith although he doesn't have Smith's pace. People bemoaning the fact he's 29 years old should take heart from Smith who won a Norm Smith medal at age 33. If he keeps fit we could easily get another four years out of Wood.

Check out the background conversation happening during the Membrey interview.

All I see is Tom Browne hanging around like the friendless loser he is.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 6, 2023: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back