Unofficial Preview Round 6 Early Thoughts - Sydney vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reid won't be back for a few weeks yet. If the other 3 are fit, I'd say.

IN: Tippett, Goodes, Mitchell
OUT: Derickx, B. Jack (anyone else that can go out?), J. Lloyd (Mind you, none of these guys were bad last night).

Goodes get the vest and swaps with Tippett some time in the 3rd term. If Mitchell isn't fit, BJ stays in the side.

Issue with those changes is that we need BJ as a crumber.

Reid won't be back for a few weeks yet. If the other 3 are fit, I'd say.

IN: Tippett, Goodes, Mitchell
OUT: Derickx, B. Jack (anyone else that can go out?), J. Lloyd (Mind you, none of these guys were bad last night).

Goodes get the vest and swaps with Tippett some time in the 3rd term. If Mitchell isn't fit, BJ stays in the side.

Issue with those changes is that we need BJ as a crumber.

Id almost drop cunningham before bj and i dont want to drop him

I think with ur changes lrt almost goes out and goodes pushes to lrt role and tippett ruck chop out

I really like bj up forward

Id almost drop cunningham before bj and i dont want to drop him

I think with ur changes lrt almost goes out and goodes pushes to lrt role and tippett ruck chop out

I really like bj up forward
No way Harry goes out he has been in good form and flogged Hill last night I thought , agree I want bj to stay but it wont be for harry. Think Mitchell will have a run in the 2s after having the week off

No way Harry goes out he has been in good form and flogged Hill last night I thought , agree I want bj to stay but it wont be for harry. Think Mitchell will have a run in the 2s after having the week off

What i was saying is id almost drop harry before bj to illustrate how much i want jack in, cos i agree cunningham stays

Mitchell probably needs a run in the twos, he needs to be right to play in the middle.

I think a lot hinges on tippett and his ruck worl

Lrt could be in trouble if goodes is back

What i was saying is id almost drop harry before bj to illustrate how much i want jack in, cos i agree cunningham stays

Mitchell probably needs a run in the twos, he needs to be right to play in the middle.

Cant see LRT going back either unless Grundy or Ted get injured and with Laidler and Rampe playing well and being able to play on smalls and talls so i think the balance is right in the backline atm.
As you say Mitchell needs to play in the middle if his ankle is up to it because he is not the greatest fulltime HFF.
Cant wait for Thursday selections

Cant see LRT going back either unless Grundy or Ted get injured and with Laidler and Rampe playing well and being able to play on smalls and talls so i think the balance is right in the backline atm.
As you say Mitchell needs to play in the middle if his ankle is up to it because he is not the greatest fulltime HFF.
Cant wait for Thursday selections

Mitchell is the future, but it may be that 2014 he struggles for a consistent place, needs to get bis fitness.

Tippett goodes back fully fit to me means derrrickx and lrt out of yesterdays side or we get too tall

Mitchell is already a fantastic player but I still don't see how you can fit all these inside mids into the same team without playing several out of position to the overall detriment of the team. You can't simply chuck all the resting mids into the forward line and expect it to work.

Parker is playing a lot in the midfield but he's probably the most suited to playing up forward. Already you can see Hannebery being played way out of position on the outside wings and I think it's grossly unfair the way he has been judged this year. He should be played as an inside mid and he is being squeezed out by sheer weight of numbers going through the middle. Like I said previously it's no coincidence he had his best game in a long time this week with mitchell and ROK out of the rotation.

Look it's a a nice dilemna and it's a nice one to have. Hawthorn had the same problem with Hodge , Sewell, Mitchell and Josh Kennedy . Everyone could see JPK's quality but they simply could not squeeze them all in the same. I think you guys are in the same position now and hard calls need to be made.

Mitchell is already a fantastic player but I still don't see how you can fit all these inside mids into the same team without playing several out of position to the overall detriment of the team. You can't simply chuck all the resting mids into the forward line and expect it to work.

Parker is playing a lot in the midfield but he's probably the most suited to playing up forward. Already you can see Hannebery being played way out of position on the outside wings and I think it's grossly unfair the way he has been judged this year. He should be played as an inside mid and he is being squeezed out by sheer weight of numbers going through the middle. Like I said previously it's no coincidence he had his best game in a long time this week with mitchell and ROK out of the rotation.

Look it's a a nice dilemna and it's a nice one to have. Hawthorn had the same problem with Hodge , Sewell, Mitchell and Josh Kennedy . Everyone could see JPK's quality but they simply could not squeeze them all in the same. I think you guys are in the same position now and hard calls need to be made.
Very true

It's a very good point and something that has buggered us up a little over the last 12 months. The coaches insist on playing the likes of Bird, Mitchell forward (along with Jude last year and ROK in the first few rounds) when playing quicker, younger, more athletic guys like Cunningham, B.Jack and Lloyd is now showing some real benefits.

As you said, the day of stacking the forward 50 with midfielders masquerading as small forwards is done for now.

One thing is SR that long bomb Buddy kicked to BJ and he goaled if that was Rok or Mitchell ( not bagging them at all ) but I don't think they would of had the leg speed to get there like BJ did , that's another reason I like BJ in the team as he is quick and suits the way we play and can create things like that. We lack leg speed big time that's why I like him in the side.

It's a very good point and something that has buggered us up a little over the last 12 months. The coaches insist on playing the likes of Bird, Mitchell forward (along with Jude last year and ROK in the first few rounds) when playing quicker, younger, more athletic guys like Cunningham, B.Jack and Lloyd is now showing some real benefits.

As you said, the day of stacking the forward 50 with midfielders masquerading as small forwards is done for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Tippett if he can just stay fit is going to fix a lot of problems. Hawthorn had a lot of similar problems when using Franklin as the main target forward because he simply cannot take a contested mark and often could not even provide a decent contest so opposition defences would just rush it out. Tippett(at full strength) will fix that. Also your ruck is being buggered up cos I think Longmire has just realised this and has had to use Pyke as the main forward which then forces you guys into playing guys like Derickx. So Tippett fixes that too somewhat, although Pyke still needs to prove himself as a first ruck. But hey at least he will have the opportunity without having to be forced forward all the time.

The other issue is outside run. Rohan just looks sadly out of form. Jetta is a lock on one wing and Cunningham looks ok on the other wing. Once Tippett and Reid are back I think Franklin will provide the quality on the wings. I think Hannebery cannot play this role. He's got to go inside and I think Parker needs to go forward to fix the small forward crumber issue. It's a shame Lamb left because I think he would be an absolute lock in this team.

I would t bring goodes back in just yet. We proved we can a beat a top2 team without him. If let him train a good full 3-4 week block of training before bringing him in. Make sure he is cherry ripe. I'd hate to see him get rushed back and succumb to injury again. It could spell the end of his career not to mention how deflating for the side it will be to see the all time great get injured again

The Dees are competitive any only just lost to the Suns, need to treat this as any other game, we haven't earned the right to take any games easy this season, play the team most likely to beat Melb, Tippet in as he's had a run, Goodes in the 2s and if he performs he can come back against the Lions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dees are competitive any only just lost to the Suns, need to treat this as any other game, we haven't earned the right to take any games easy this season, play the team most likely to beat Melb, Tippet in as he's had a run, Goodes in the 2s and if he performs he can come back against the Lions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need Reid in for the lions game, he loves playing against the lions

Longmire said Goodes will play some sort of footy this week , personally I cant see him flying to QLD and playing 2s. Make him sub like Judd toady and get 2 games into him prior to the Hawks game as we know Goodes also takes a bit to get going but he is a freak athlete and I would back the champ in to make the right call for himself and club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back