Roast Round 7 = Collingwood 55-79 Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Went today. Second game I've been to this year. The difference between the two was stark. Against Brisbane we played with desperation all night. Today there was very little. It was awful.

I genuinely cannot stand JDG. He plays with an arrogance that is so undeserved. I would not care what we received in return. I would trade him regardless.

One passage of play in the 2nd summed up the day for me. Callum Brown got the ball somewhere between half back and wing. Darcy Moore is 90 metres away and calling him up. No lead. Brown runs and takes 2 bounces I think and is 60 metres from Moore. Moore calls him to put it on his head. No lead. Now I've only watched Cal Brown play a dozen times. And I've never trained with him. But I know he can't kick 50 metres let alone 60. Brown knows he can't make the distance, tries to get around someone and goes onto his left. Which is worse than his right. Kicks a 25 metre scrubber straight to the opposition.

We are almost unwatchable at the moment.

Young boy Callum . gives his all , not his fault Bucks selects him , he tries, he labors, he butchers, on the odd occasion he gets it , gift him another 10 games I say

Someone please, please tell me what this bloke offers as a forward? Tell me?

Attachments

• 7C583310-3069-4C0A-9EF6-8C4155A2EFA3.jpeg
    7C583310-3069-4C0A-9EF6-8C4155A2EFA3.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 120

Positives
Murphy's courage. Glad he gets a run at it finally and hope he can stay healthy. Tried really hard as did McCreery, IQ, Noble, Mihocek
I thought Poulter tried hard too.

But
Grundy's hard hands in the ruck remain problematic - not our biggest problem and I thought he was OK today. Why we don't have a sweeper running boundary side at thrown ins I don't know. Grundy gets in front and palms it forward and we have no-one to rove to it.

We have little run to support and no run from clearances to create easy opportunities to spot up targets. We're also stagnant at stoppages. Hardly dangerous.

Our forwards are stagnant and want to wrestle and just get it kicked on their head. Lead and then your strength will allow you to mark.

Because we have little leg speed, we revert to moving it around the boundary and our shots on goals come from impossible angles

Moore is required in defence while Howe is out. He's wasted as a forward with our type of rushed kicks inside 50.

DeGoey is a vey lazy footballer most of the time. We should trade him as we might get something for him. Very overpaid and remains undisciplined off the field

Our kids are going to remain inconsistent while they pick up the speed and build a tank, but we may as well give them more game time
Playing Mayne, Wilbur, C Brown is a waste of time in my opinion.

It's frustrating watching Steele, Pendles, Crisp trying to do too much and getting caught, but they have very little support running past to offload to. Keep holding it and trying to find something and then butcher it or get caught. But it is a lack of system.

Not really ready yet, but give Reef an opportunity to run around and use his leg speed. We desperately need it.

I have little faith in any of our coaches. The game 'plan' is a disaster.

But life's not that black & white. Funny enough.

De Goey doesn't look disinterested. He looks frustrated and low on confidence. I saw him making a tonne of effort; it was just all in vain - he was making mistakes on almost every action he attempted. Pure lack of confidence in an already inconsistent player equals very poor form.
It's the weight of guilt. When you hold the club over a barrel to extract the big bucks then you have to perform. I have no sympathy. He placed that pressure on himself.
He could walk in on Monday and ask the club to cut 300k off his contract. That would help him to sleep better at night.

Yes, yes and no.

I think under a new coach from 2022, there will be a sense of excitement and renewal. Doesn't mean it's not going to be tough along the way but at least the supporters will know the club is trying something different.

In terms of replacements, there are plenty of candidates out there if we bother to look hard enough.
I'm not saying Bucks should definitely be coach next year; the club has said they will follow the process and Bucks, Korda, Wright and Mark Anderson have all said this. They would look panicked and clueless if they turned around and replaced him now. We don't want that.
Replacing Bucks now is the easy way out, but there is no doubt that the decision makers already know who is available and interested, should a new coach be needed.

I am somewhat amused when posters talk about game plan (or no plan B).

Do you really think it was the game plan to play the wings all day? Or that GC playing that extra man in defence with no-one going near him, Thomas with his habit of hands on head if he stuffed up and not going to the next play, JDG missing a sitter when we were still in with a chance or kicking to a contest when we were one on three?

I could go on but can anyone tell me with absolutes what the game plan was?

Clearly it wasn’t the game plan to play aimless, incompetent, outright stupid footy.

And that’s the problem. A decade in, and for 8 of 10 years we’ve played with no semblance of a gameplan whatsoever.

Bucks doesn’t want them to play this way, no doubt. But Bucks has conclusively demonstrated he’s incapable of getting this playing group to execute his gameplan.

Last edited:
He doesn’t need to be sacked. He can resign with dignity and a smile on his face and shove it up media by not acknowledging the BS. He tried his best, got close, gave us some great memories and been a positive in dozens of young men’s lives. He’s had successes, regrets and failures like everyone. I’m twice married, twice divorced. Addicted to wedding cake. Clearly I’m no F...ing good at it. If it’s not working there is no shame in moving on. In my case and his case it’s best for all.

I'm not saying Bucks should definitely be coach next year; the club has said they will follow the process and Bucks, Korda, Wright and Mark Anderson have all said this. They would look panicked and clueless if they turned around and replaced him now. We don't want that.
Replacing Bucks now is the easy way out, but there is no doubt that the decision makers already know who is available and interested, should a new coach be needed.
Fair points.

Though I think the situation can escalate depending on which way the results go. I have no doubt more people were unsure about Buckley's future yesterday than they are today in light of this result.

I just think the club needs to come out and make a decision sooner rather than later.

I wouldn't be bothered if they confirmed Buckley's not being renewed but we adopt the Shaw 1999 approach and give him the rest of the year to coach it out before we start afresh in 2022. We just need a circuit breaker to stop the weekly distractions about his future and which direction the club will go in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone watched Roy Keane best moments in the media? We're talking a 7 time championship winning captain of Manchester United.. absolutely letting rip into the club and it's players.. he's hilarious.. you get a sense of why he was so revered by his teammates and just so well liked. These are the kind of characters we need at our club.. not these Buckley inspired stiff like ironing boards. They're not friggen ironing boards.. they're characters the lot of em.. just let them go Buckley.. that's the shit we want to see on the pitch.

Clearly it wasn’t the game plan to play aimless, incompetent, outright stupid footy.

And that’s the problem. A decade in, and for 8 of 10 years we’ve played with no semblance of a gameplan whatsoever.

Bucks doesn’t want them to play this way, no doubt. But Bucks has demonstrated he’s incapable of getting this playing group to execute his gameplan.

I imagine sometimes it depends on who you have to choose from and the plan changes according to the group you have on hand. Murphy was saying in an interview that their instructions were to apply pressure and tackling, didn't happen though did it?

I imagine sometimes it depends on who you have to choose from and the plan changes according to the group you have on hand. Murphy was saying in an interview that their instructions were to apply pressure and tackling, didn't happen though did it?
Can’t apply pressure and tackle if how you setup allows the opposition to kick and control uncontested footy with ease. That’s been us all season.

Well I'm not sure Moore has done too much better. At least Cox makes a good link up. The delivery doesn't help anyone though
Moore would be better in the VFL than what he offered today up forward. He did not looked sulky and not interested. I reckon he was easily our worst. Not following up his AA season with another good one.

Moore would be better in the VFL than what he offered today up forward. He did not looked sulky and not interested. I reckon he was easily our worst. Not following up his AA season with another good one.
Probably just prefers defence

Wow, I'm glad I stayed away from the Game Thread today; I can only imagine what was happening here.

For those wanting Bucks sacked right now, I have a few questions;
• who gets appointed and could that person realistically do better?
• has Bucks lost the players?
• can this group turn it around quickly with a care-taker coach?
I reckon the answers are no, no and no.

The club leaders obviously know that this is going to be a year of pain. The last thing we should do is go for an easy fix and ditch the coach. That would just let the players off the hook. The players are responsible for this mess.

I suppose I should point the finger at the people who kept Sier, WHE, Thomas and Mayne on the books. They should have been cleared out. Our trade period was a fiasco, but keeping the above players was just as great a fiasco.

And then trade we should have made, but didn't: Steele Sidebottom. When Steele got so drunk that he couldn't remember where he was or where his clothes were, we should have made the hard call. If a young kid behaved like that he would have been made an example of. A leader of the club behaving in that way was untenable, but what did we do? We glossed it over. We then unbelievably left him in the leadership group. I was livid when I saw that.

If the young blokes see that the leaders get away with anything at all, with no consequences, they will understand quick smart that the culture is weak. Little wonder we see a lack of will to chase and tackle.

We all saw WHE's pre season and wondered how he could have been selected in R1. We are still wondering. I felt like giving up last week when he walked back into the team. Why do we keep playing these blokes? What does Tyler Brown think?

I'm not into bagging players so I will leave it at that, but one player looks like he couldn't give a fig at the moment and that really hurts. When Pendles continues to lead by example, and players like Mihocek, Noble and Quaynor run their guts out, it is sad to see a highly paid player give zero effort. He ought to be dropped but he won't be.

The club needs to hold its nerve and do what it said it would do; keep the processes of review in place and stick to the timeline.
You lost me when you said Sier should have been cleared out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Round 7 = Collingwood 55-79 Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back