Analysis Rusty's 2024 Player List and Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 18 - Pre Game List Update

Substitute​

Luke Parker, after misnamed teams, injury, suspension, much chagrin on here, is finally making his AFL debut for 2024 due to the suspension of Isaac Heeney.

Isaac Heeney suspension​

Isaac Heeney will not play against North Melbourne this weekend, after the Sydney Swans’ appeal was dismissed at the AFL Appeals Board.
Make no mistake. This stupid rule introduction for this year will comeback and bite the AFL on the arse. I am looking at all games this weekend to ensure the Isaac Heeney interpretation is applied in all cases.

Swans Round 18 Team selection​

Senior coach John Longmire has named his side to take on North Melbourne. As announced earlier this week Callum Mills will make his return to the AFL for the first time this season after sustaining a shoulder injury and subsequent calf strain.
Speaking to the media Longmire said the captain had worked extremely hard to be ready for play.
"We sat down at the bye and worked our a six-week plan to get him up to what he needed to in a football and training sense, and he has been doing that," the senior coach said.
"He has done a power of work. We've looked through all the numbers and have seen training sessions - all that has done has backed up our eyes and what we have seen in a training sense."

The star midfielder was named sole captain in the 2024 pre-season after several years in the leadership group.
Additionally, Isaac Heeney will not play against North Melbourne this weekend, after the Sydney Swans’ appeal was dismissed at the AFL Appeals Board.
The Swans are coming off the back of two close losses and will be looking to restore a near-perfect record on the SCG. Longmire attributed the result to a lack of pressure - a key focus moving into Round 18.
"You need to apply an enormous amount of pressure on and around the footy, and when we're doing that usually good things happen," he noted.
On the weekend we got 30-odd points up halfway through the third. We've got to make sure we keep that pressure on, and what's got us to that point in the second quarter, and certainly at the start of the third, was a bit more pressure around the footy.”

SS List.png

Round 18 - Post Game List Update

AFL Early prognosis​

Flying high on top of the ladder, the Swans also have one of the shortest injury lists in the competition, although the addition of McInerney is a huge blow given his form this season. The versatile 23-year-old will miss at least a few weeks and his return to play remains up in the air. Cunningham is expected to return after a hamstring issue, while Isaac Heeney will also be back from suspension. Callum Mills has pulled up a bit sore after playing a full game last week in his comeback from a long-term injury and might be an option to take the sub vest against Brisbane as the club carefully manages his return. Young guns Konstanty and Snell both picked up injuries in the past week. - Martin Smith

Sydney Injury Update: McInerney sidelined​

Patrick Snell
Patrick sustained a medium grade hamstring injury in training last week. He will miss 4 – 6 weeks.

Justin McInerney
Justin sustained a posterior cruciate ligament injury on Saturday against North Melbourne. He will go into a brace for at least two weeks before his progress is reassessed.

Harry Cunningham
Harry has commenced team training and sprinting. He will be a test to return to play this weekend.

Jacob Konstanty
Jacob reported foot pain following last week’s VFL match against Sandringham. An MRI revealed some foot tendon inflammation. He will subsequently spend a short period of time in a boot.

Jack Buller
Jack Buller remains on light duties. He has commenced cross training and strength work.

SS List.png

Round 19 - Post Game List Update

Sam Reid - Retired​

SYDNEY premiership player Sam Reid has announced his retirement, after suffering an injury setback in the VFL.
Reid had been getting closer to a return to AFL action but an injury over the weekend has ended his campaign.
The 32-year-old informed teammates on Tuesday morning he was retiring effective immediately.
The 2012 premiership winner has not played at AFL level since the Swans' 2022 Grand Final loss to Geelong.
He ends his career as a 181-gamer with the club, having made his senior debut in 2010 and played 22 games in the club's premiership season two years later, when he kicked a goal from 13 disposals against Hawthorn in the Grand Final. He kicked a career-best 31 goals that year.

Injury setbacks cruelled Reid at stages but his overhead marking and versatility made him a senior regular when available under coach John Longmire.
He played on in 2024 after receiving a one-year deal at the end of last year but had injury issues at the start of this season with foot and quad problems.
The 32-year-old says he was aware as soon as the fresh injury hit that his 14-year career in Swans colours was up.
"I did a decent job of a hammy on the weekend, so I think I knew at the time. Unfortunately, I've got a fair bit of experience with injury.
"My body is trying to tell me something and it’s time to listen and I’m not sure I could trust it if I came back for the last month of the season," he said.

Despite his wretched injury history, John Longmire still viewed Reid as a viable option if needed, in the Swans pursuit of a premiership.
However, the ultimate glory is something Reid was able to achieve, way back in his third season as an AFL footballer in 2012.
"A lot of people say when you win it when you're young you don't appreciate it enough, and it’s probably true to be fair," Reid said.

"It was such a good selfless team, everyone worked for each other, and it feels very similar to this group. Everyone's very close, everyone’s excited for one another when we do things well, whether it's a tackle or a goal.
"That's why I was so desperate to get back, I really wanted to be a part of it and play again with these guys, but it wasn't to be. But I'm really grateful to be a part of this club for such a long period of time."
Reid has always had the strong backing of his coach who he says fought for him to get a new contract for this year despite not featuring in all of 2023.
His strong team-first approach clearly endeared him to Longmire for so long.
"Very selfless. He never made it about him, he'd just go out and do his job," Longmire said.

"It didn’t matter what role you threw him, it was always no problems. A no-fuss player.
"It probably took me too long to throw him into the ruck - I was only ten years too late. But when I look at his 2022 season, what he was able to do as a forward-ruck, that typified what he was able to do. He's been an incredibly valuable player."
It's a premiership medal apiece for the Reid brothers, with older brother Ben playing in Collingwood's 2010 triumph before ending his career in much the same manner as Sam.
"Our careers are so similar, Ben actually retired with a hamstring. We've basically mirrored each other. I've played more games than him and got an extra year than him which he reminded me of, I've got that over him."

But while Ben Reid has now moved into coaching, it's not a path Sam foresees for himself in the future.
Right now, he just wants to enjoy the aspects of normal life with his family and friends that professional sport has taken away.
"I've got a group of mates that go to Japan every February. Just being able to pack up and go skiing, I haven't skiied in 15 years."

Mills and Rowbottom​

No reports on injury so will assume they are available to play.

Swans Injury Update: Rampe to miss 1-2 weeks​

Tom Papley
Tom sustained a medial ankle ligament injury against Brisbane. He will likely miss 4-6 weeks.

Dane Rampe
Dane sustained a low grade calf strain in the 2nd quarter of Sunday’s game against Brisbane. He is expected to miss 1 – 2 weeks of football.

Will Hayward
Will’s lateral ankle injury sustained in the match has recovered well. He will be a test to play against the Western Bulldogs this Sunday.

Tom Hanily
Tom sustained an ankle injury in a tackle in training last week. He will be a test to return to play this weekend.

Patrick Snell
Patrick has commenced running and strength work. He will progress his speed and volume this week.

Justin McInerney
Justin remains in a brace for his PCL injury. His progress will be reassessed next week.

Jacob Konstanty
Jacob remains in a boot this week. He is conditioning his off legs conditioning training.

Jack Buller
Jack Buller is now 6 weeks after his produced. He is progressing his strength and aerobic training.

AFL Early prognosis​

Papley is a huge loss for the Swans after suffering a medial ankle ligament injury against Brisbane that will keep him out of action in the run to September. Rampe was another casualty out of the loss to the Lions, while Hayward faces a fitness test later in the week after hurting his ankle in the same match. McInerney remains in a brace after a PCL injury. In better news, captain Mills is expected to return after being rested. – Brandon Cohen

SS List.png

Last edited:

I think I need to report 3 times a week.

After injury report - Tuesday arvo
After Teams are announced - Thursday/Friday - depending upon if it is a Sunday game, and guess the sub
After sub is named about 30 mins before the game(unless I got sub right on Thu/Fri)

I think I need to report 3 times a week.

After injury report - Tuesday arvo
After Teams are announced - Thursday/Friday - depending upon if it is a Sunday game, and guess the sub
After sub is named about 30 mins before the game(unless I got sub right on Thu/Fri)
I would just do it the once, after the teams are announced on the Thursday/Friday. You can then include that week's injury report whilst also including the eventual sub as simply one of the five players named on the interchange.

That's of course if you want to save yourself the trouble. As KC said, we love your work rusty!

I would just do it the once, after the teams are announced on the Thursday/Friday. You can then include that week's injury report whilst also including the eventual sub as simply one of the five players named on the interchange.

That's of course if you want to save yourself the trouble. As KC said, we love your work rusty!
I enjoy keeping the list up to date. I will do it anyway. I like to look at the list and see the potential ins and outs / implications / depth etc. So I think will publish it when changes are made so all you guys can see it as well.
If I do it only twice a week there is a lag between team announcement and final team including sub.
I have only been doing 1 and 3 below.
So I will publish
  1. Tuesday medicals
  2. team announcements (I will guess the sub)
  3. sub on game day (if I did not get it right)

I enjoy keeping the list up to date. I will do it anyway. I like to look at the list and see the potential ins and outs / implications / depth etc. So I think will publish it when changes are made so all you guys can see it as well.
If I do it only twice a week there is a lag between team announcement and final team including sub.
So I will publish
  1. Tuesday medicals
It's nice to be able to do things that give you joy.

So I will publish
  1. Tuesday medicals
You are a legend rusty.

Round 20 - Post Game List Update

Swans Injury Update​

Tom Papley
Tom has commenced rehabilitation for his medial ankle sprain. He will likely miss a further 3 – 5 weeks.

Lewis Melican
Lewis was subbed out of the game against the Western Bulldogs due to hamstring tightness. He will be a test to play Port Adelaide.

Dane Rampe
Dane’s low grade calf strain is progressing well. He will be a test to return to play this weekend against Port Adelaide.

Patrick Snell
Patrick is building his running speed and rehab skills exposure. He will miss a further 1 – 2 matches.

Justin McInerney
Justin is progressing his knee PCL rehabilitation. He is completing leg strengthening and off legs conditioning.

Jacob Konstanty
Jacob has progressed out of the boot. He has commenced leg strengthening and off legs conditioning.

Jack Buller
Jack Buller is now 7 weeks post surgery. He is aiming to commence running in 2 – 3 weeks.

AFL Early prognosis​

All eyes will be on Melican and Hayward this week, with both needing to pass fitness tests before the clash with the Power. James Rowbottom has been cleared to be play after a cheekbone injury, while key men Rampe, McInerney and Papley are still some time away from returning. - Martin Smith

SS List.png

Round 20 - Post Game List Update

Swans Injury Update​

Tom Papley
Tom has commenced rehabilitation for his medial ankle sprain. He will likely miss a further 3 – 5 weeks.

Lewis Melican
Lewis was subbed out of the game against the Western Bulldogs due to hamstring tightness. He will be a test to play Port Adelaide.

Dane Rampe
Dane’s low grade calf strain is progressing well. He will be a test to return to play this weekend against Port Adelaide.

Patrick Snell
Patrick is building his running speed and rehab skills exposure. He will miss a further 1 – 2 matches.

Justin McInerney
Justin is progressing his knee PCL rehabilitation. He is completing leg strengthening and off legs conditioning.

Jacob Konstanty
Jacob has progressed out of the boot. He has commenced leg strengthening and off legs conditioning.

Jack Buller
Jack Buller is now 7 weeks post surgery. He is aiming to commence running in 2 – 3 weeks.

AFL Early prognosis​

All eyes will be on Melican and Hayward this week, with both needing to pass fitness tests before the clash with the Power. James Rowbottom has been cleared to be play after a cheekbone injury, while key men Rampe, McInerney and Papley are still some time away from returning. - Martin Smith

View attachment 2063659
Dane Rampe

while key men Rampe, McInerney and Papley are still some time away from returning

So which one is it do we all think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dane Rampe

while key men Rampe, McInerney and Papley are still some time away from returning

So which one is it do we all think?
I tend to favour the Swans over the AFL.
You would think the Swans tell the AFL what the injuries are and the length of rehab. So both AFL and Swans would be the same yeah. No.
I tend to favour the Swans. But who knows.

I tend to favour the Swans over the AFL.
You would think the Swans tell the AFL what the injuries are and the length of rehab. So both AFL and Swans would be the same yeah. No.
I tend to favour the Swans. But who knows.
Yes that makes sense.
I miss the days of proof reading were stupid things like this just never happened.

Yes that makes sense.
I miss the days of proof reading were stupid things like this just never happened.
Yep.
Proves to me that clubs and AFL are not on the same page, for whatever reason. But I think there is a reason.

You would think the AFL would want to get amount of time players are out of the game correct.
But it seems the AFL are the ones that are being incorrect. Suggests they don't put a lot of effort in getting it correct. What I mean to say is that the AFL don't really care.

Round 21 - Selection vs Port Adelaide

Ins: Rowbottom, Francis
Outs: Melican(Injured), Cambell(omitted)

What I reckon​

Francis=> Melican
Robottom =>Campbell
Parker(substitute last week)=>Corey Warner

Substitute​

Corey Warner just rotating the strike to give Parker a better hit.

SS List.png

I seriously can't wait for alot of the dead wood to get off the list and probably the perfect time as well with the depth of the draft. Just alot of 0 gamers that haven't kicked on

I seriously can't wait for alot of the dead wood to get off the list and probably the perfect time as well with the depth of the draft. Just alot of 0 gamers that haven't kicked on
Not a lot of deadwood. The list is actually quite full.

Edwards is signed until 2025.
Green is signed until 2026.
Hanily was just picked up. Has shown some promise in the face of Konstanty being underwhelming.
Kirk is an Academy player on a 1 year deal. Has shown somwthing. Unless there is compelling evidence that another Academy player should come in I think he retaines his place.

Looking at guys other who have played zero games.
Arnold-rookie
Vickery
Konstanty
Magor-rookie
and
Ladhams has been shopped around apparently.

We only have 2 good picks in the draft.

Summary.
We will clear what is needed for the draft.
I imagine they know which rookies need to go both Cat A and Cat B.

Just a fairly routine offseason.

A few project players are zeroes.

SS List.png

Hanily was just picked up. Has shown some promise in the face of Konstanty being underwhelming.
Kirk is an Academy player on a 1 year deal. Has shown somwthing. Unless there is compelling evidence that another Academy player should come in I think he retaines his place.

Arnold-rookie
Vickery
Konstanty
Magor-rookie
and

Summary.

View attachment 2065528
18, 19 and 56 at the draft with potential to get some value from Konstanty i reckon we could have 56 fall into around the 40-45 marker and also get another pick in the 40s. I think in the end if we do clear out all of the:

Arnold
Vickery
Konstanty
Magor
McAndrew
Francis

Then we could end up with 4 national picks and a couple of rookie selections as this draft looks to have quality depth options.

I know in the end we will end up with 3 nationals including Cochran and probably 1 rookie draft player

Arnold-rookie
Vickery
Konstanty
Magor-rookie
and

Summary.

View attachment 2065528
Have to ask who is likely to play seniors at some stage or at least be valuable depth.
With Buller coming off the LTI we need at least 4 farewells to open up 3 spots (to keep Hanily).
Your four above look pretty likely.
The Ladhams/McAndrew conundrum will be interesting.

18, 19 and 56 at the draft with potential to get some value from Konstanty i reckon we could have 56 fall into around the 40-45 marker and also get another pick in the 40s. I think in the end if we do clear out all of the:

Arnold
Vickery
Konstanty
Magor
McAndrew
Francis

Then we could end up with 4 national picks and a couple of rookie selections as this draft looks to have quality depth options.

I know in the end we will end up with 3 nationals including Cochran and probably 1 rookie draft player
Kinnear has apparently said we will have 3 picks.

Not sure we will get much for Konstanty. His position on the main list is more valuable than him.
Francis still has value as contigency for KP both back and forward.
McAndrew may just qualify as a project player still. Talls take time.

I hope we can unload Ladhams.
I am horribly conflicted over this.
If Grundy goes down we would face a choice of McAndrew or McLean. Ladhams is much better IF he doesn't implode. Green is much too young.
If Grundy doesn't go down McAndrew and Green can handle VFL just fine.
That's the gamble. Bring back Hickey?

I am horribly conflicted over this.
If Grundy goes down we would face a choice of McAndrew or McLean. Ladhams is much better IF he doesn't implode. Green is much too young.
If Grundy doesn't go down McAndrew and Green can handle VFL just fine.
That's the gamble. Bring back Hickey?
McLean is very capable. He could ruck a whole game with a chop out.
Amartey can be serviceable.
Stretch may surprise a few.
Fox has rucked.

I think Grundy is very durable.

there is also a midseason draft if we are that desperate.

I think Ladhams does not inspire confidence to win a flag so why keep him. Also he would be on 300-400k if not more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Rusty's 2024 Player List and Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back