Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's never said it before. Honest Ken. Bullsh*t.
Why wouldn't he love Port Adelaide? The club pays him megabucks for being the most unsuccessful coach in VFL/AFL history. There's no accountability and his KPIs are adjusted to reflect whatever he actually achieves. What loser wouldn't love an employer like that?

That would then put the likes of Koch and Holly Ransom in charge of making decisions on the footy department. Do you trust them to get it right?
I never said to give oversight to the board.

When was our last independent review? 2012?

Review panel could have the likes of a football delegate from the board (Tredrea/Snowdown), a footy committee nominee, non-PAFC football expertise, and non-AFL sporting expertise. Report goes to the board, board ratifies, that's always going to need to happen.

But right now it's a boys club of internal hackery sending a recommendation for rubber stamping. We can at least introduce some independence and external expertise to the process.

There were a few of us who had the beginnings of a panic attack on first sight of it.

He had a tweet yesterday that said Carlton would be docked 4 premiership points for playing a concussed Harry McKay the week before.

Bet that hooked a few :D

I never said to give oversight to the board.

When was our last independent review? 2012?

Review panel could have the likes of a football delegate from the board (Tredrea/Snowdown), a footy committee nominee, non-PAFC football expertise, and non-AFL sporting expertise. Report goes to the board, board ratifies, that's always going to need to happen.

But right now it's a boys club of internal hackery sending a recommendation for rubber stamping. We can at least introduce some independence and external expertise to the process.

I see your point and agree there's definitely merit in having an external review.

I also am confident in saying there won't be any external review that is publicly announced this year. But I am also unsure what their end of season reviews typically look like, so I can't comment on it with any degree of certainty.

I'm more confident this year having Warren on the footy committee though. He's not one who's going to be back slapping his colleagues acting as if everything is hunky dory.

And that really was why so many people voted Warren onto the board in the first place - to get someone on the inside who will ask the tough questions and demand excellence within the footy department.

After cancelling my membership years ago, I now spend parts of the season travelling as I know I won’t have to save money for finals.
Experiencing the euphoria on night one of the swimming Titmus & girls 4 x 100 relay and then Fox wining gold at kayak slalom made me pine for the good old days when you could enjoy a win which felt like a win. Now a win feels like TF we didn’t loose.
When the boys came second in the 4 x 100 relay at lease you knew they gave an effort.

I see your point and agree there's definitely merit in having an external review.

I also am confident in saying there won't be any external review that is publicly announced this year. But I am also unsure what their end of season reviews typically look like, so I can't comment on it with any degree of certainty.

I'm more confident this year having Warren on the footy committee though. He's not one who's going to be back slapping his colleagues acting as if everything is hunky dory.

And that really was why so many people voted Warren onto the board in the first place - to get someone on the inside who will ask the tough questions and demand excellence within the footy department.
I agree that it's better having WT on the board.

He might not be in that position forever, though. Like a lot of things, strong institutions and conventions can help us build towards success in the short term, and are hard to budge in the long term (i.e. the fury at the co-captains decision). I think an independent review process, in line with coaching contract periods and encompassing the whole football program, is one such institution we should try to establish.

Koch doesn”t need Holly to reinforce his unilateral control of the club.

Get real for godsake.
This seems to be more the case.

There had been no real change until Tredders hit the board. That's a decade of Koch's incompetence.

The lack of accountability and poor performances swept under the rug and the demonising of fans suggests that our yearly reviews are outrageously poor and full of empty calories. I would love Tredders to be able to take a look at those. I'm sure he would be shocked as the low bar being set. There can be no other explanation.

All of this, as LockHart Road has posted, suggests Koch to be a petty tyrant only after his own agendas and the detriment of the club and its fans.

It will be interesting to see who throws whom under the bus in the near future.

Whatever the case, it is obvious that the yearly review process is severely broken and has been taken advantage of by the Four Frauds because the mediocre results have been allowed to continue unabated for over a decade.

I feel like someone has been having a word to Ken, professing how much he loved Port Adelaide the other day just doesn't seem like him.
Look as much as I don't like the guy I think he does love his boys, just not sold on the club love side of it.
The love certainly doesn't extend to the fans!!!

Just wondering what are the machinations for Hinkley to be sacked. He has a contract for another year. Port will probably make finals which would certainly fulfill a certain expectation within the club ... so who loads the gun?
Does the football dept. have a meeting to review the season and decides the club needs a new coach?
Does a board member demand an emergency meeting to discuss the tenure of the coach?
Or does Koch reads the room and makes a captain call?
In the background of course is the $ payout - this I believe will be a stumbling block for the board to accept.

After cancelling my membership years ago, I now spend parts of the season travelling as I know I won’t have to save money for finals.
Experiencing the euphoria on night one of the swimming Titmus & girls 4 x 100 relay and then Fox wining gold at kayak slalom made me pine for the good old days when you could enjoy a win which felt like a win. Now a win feels like TF we didn’t loose.
When the boys came second in the 4 x 100 relay at lease you knew they gave an effort.
So in order to fill a void in your life you've taken to watching minority sports for a dopamine fix.

You sound like a divorcee chasing anything you can. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wondering what are the machinations for Hinkley to be sacked. He has a contract for another year. Port will probably make finals which would certainly fulfill a certain expectation within the club ... so who loads the gun?
Does the football dept. have a meeting to review the season and decides the club needs a new coach?
Does a board member demand an emergency meeting to discuss the tenure of the coach?
In the background of course is the $ payout - this I believe will be a stumbling block for the board to accept.
LOL Koch reading a room is about as likely as Ken winning a knock out final.

You must be new here

Part of the problem is that Ken has never been bad enough for the board to over rule the footy committee.

It will need to be a footy committee decision.

Any payout for Ken is more likely to effect the assistants we can get Carr than anything else.
On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree that it's better having WT on the board.

He might not be in that position forever, though. Like a lot of things, strong institutions and conventions can help us build towards success in the short term, and are hard to budge in the long term (i.e. the fury at the co-captains decision). I think an independent review process, in line with coaching contract periods and encompassing the whole football program, is one such institution we should try to establish.

In Ken's case, his recent extensions have only been for 2 years. I'm not sure that establishing multiple independent reviews in such a relatively short time frame would have been the best course of action.

One thing I would like to see developed within the football department is an overarching set of standards, expectations, rules, ethos, however you want to call it. The senior coach then should be fostering that through the playing squad. It's akin to how football (soccer) clubs are run in Europe - where you've got a sporting director, technical director running the overall program and the manager has evolved over the last 10-15 years to be more of a pure first team coach.

What we're seeing at Port is CD is the sporting director equivalent, but he's essentially a joint ticket with the senior coach (Ken). There needs to be a degree of separation so that in the event you have to change coaches for whatever reason, you should have established enough of a positive culture, ethos etc within the footy program such that it doesn't need to be blown up with every change of coach.

I'll provide more details on this once it's official - so please remind me of this down the track in the weeks to come.

What I can say now is that any payout Ken can potentially get is not a stumbling block to getting rid of him.

In Ken's case, his recent extensions have only been for 2 years. I'm not sure that establishing multiple independent reviews in such a relatively short time frame would have been the best course of action.

One thing I would like to see developed within the football department is an overarching set of standards, expectations, rules, ethos, however you want to call it. The senior coach then should be fostering that through the playing squad. It's akin to how football (soccer) clubs are run in Europe - where you've got a sporting director, technical director running the overall program and the manager has evolved over the last 10-15 years to be more of a pure first team coach.

What we're seeing at Port is CD is the sporting director equivalent, but he's essentially a joint ticket with the senior coach (Ken). There needs to be a degree of separation so that in the event you have to change coaches for whatever reason, you should have established enough of a positive culture, ethos etc within the footy program such that it doesn't need to be blown up with every change of coach.
There should absolutely be rules around the GM of footy not being in any sort of financial syndicates with senior coaches also. How do we expect CD to conduct a serious annual review on the bloke he owns racing dogs with?

This is a process failure in my eyes, and not a statement on Ken or CD but the structures that have allowed it.

There should absolutely be rules around the GM of footy not being in any sort of financial syndicates with senior coaches also. How do we expect CD to conduct a serious annual review on the bloke he owns racing dogs with?

This is a process failure in my eyes, and not a statement on Ken or CD but the structures that have allowed it.
It’s an indictment on them as well. Good leaders would ensure appropriate boundaries to allow them to do their jobs effectively.

My understanding is that CD has been out of the syndicate for a while.

I agree though - it's ridiculous. There should never be a blurred line when it comes to the relationships between the coaches/football department staff and players.

mate, but again, that's a lack of governance, and it all falls on the feet of one person, and that’s Kochie. How he’s allowed to go on for all this time is and hasn’t reviewed their positions at the club, but if anything has allowed their position to be extended, especially in Ken’s case, its on him.

So is Marshall bumping uglies with Donuts daughter, or was that just a stupid rumour ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So in order to fill a void in your life you've taken to watching minority sports for a dopamine fix.

You sound like a divorcee chasing anything you can. :)

More so I realised I was in a toxic relationship, and I needed to move on for my mental health. Funny enough that’s why I left my first wife.
The last time I got a dopamine fix from a Port game was 2021 1st final against Geelong and then two weeks later the “wouldn’t change a thing game”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back