Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

The retconning of Primus as good, actually is ridiculous cope. He was a great man of integrity, but not up to it as a coach. To his eternal credit, he had some self-awareness, unlike his successor.
He probably was out of his depth however there's a fair reason for some reflection, he was willing to make hard calls (The Cornes' problem) all while trying to navigate young blood into a club on it's knees with a football department running on the smell of an oily rag.

The retconning of Primus as good, actually is fan fiction at the most insane level. He was a great man of integrity, but not up to it as a coach. To his eternal credit, he had some self-awareness, unlike his successor.
PRIMUS DID 2011

You can't possibly know if Primus was good enough because he was at the nadir of a rebuild with a club on its knees.

Sometimes coaches are just there to pass the time and get games into the kids while the list turns over. In Hinkley's case it's while the list turns over 4 times and getting games into low ceiling smalls.

You can't possibly know if Primus was good enough because he was at the nadir of a rebuild with a club on its knees.

Any sentient human being could listen to him talk about the game, and know that he didn’t have a clue. Even after 4-5 years of tutelage under Choco. We all remember the triple switch video. Pro sports is not a nursery where you get someone to hold your hand until you’re ready. He didn’t have ‘it’, and was never going to.

Bevo, for example, joined a club in absolute shambles, player uprising, losing core players to the expansion teams, captain asking out. Not an exact like for like comparison, sure, but he showed what actual football nous could do.

Because we have to view everything through the lens of Ken = bad, doesn’t mean everything else is good. Those years were a ****en nightmare, albeit shortlived. The Ken era is like being a 15-hour long paralysis during surgery comparatively (for clarity, that is worse).

(As an aside, we also had people on this board that for years would swear up and down that Boak had Selwood’s measure, if you accounted for this, that and the other sob story. You don’t hear that any more. Amazing. You are what you produce.)

Last edited:
The retconning of Primus as good, actually is fan fiction at the most insane level. He was a great man of integrity, but not up to it as a coach. To his eternal credit, he had some self-awareness, unlike his successor.
Its not retconning for me, I always supported him and didnt want him sacked.

He had no support, no list, and had to make extremely tough decisions. If we'd been patient with him who knows where we would have ended up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any sentient human being could listen to him talk about the game, and know that he didn’t have a clue. Even after 4-5 years of tutelage under Choco. We all remember the triple switch video. Pro sports is not a nursery where you get someone to hold your hand until you’re ready. He didn’t have ‘it’, and was never going to.

Bevo, for example, joined a club in absolute shambles, player uprising, losing core players to the expansion teams, captain asking out. Not an exact like for like comparison, sure, but he showed what actual football nous could do.

Because we have to view everything through the lens of Ken = bad, doesn’t mean everything else is good. Those years were a ****en nightmare, albeit shortlived. The Ken era is like being a 15-hour long paralysis during surgery comparatively (for clarity, that is worse).

(As an aside, we also had people on this board that for years would swear up and down that Boak had Selwood’s measure, if you accounted for this, that and the other sob story. You don’t hear that any more. Amazing. You are what you produce.)
If you listen to Hinkley talk about the game its clear he has even less idea, yet he's still been to three prelims.

The idea of Hinkley being even in the same universe as Williams is so disrespectful to Choco's legacy it shouldn't even be said. Absolutely disgusting to even consider a comparison between the two.

The closest modern comparison for Hinkley is Primus but even then we never got to see what Matty was capable of post-AO and with a decent list. I'll bet he wouldn't have gone 12 years without a GF appearance though.
Count how many players that Choco coached that have gone on to make careers as senior or assistant coaches at other clubs.

I would be amazed if Kenny's legacy produces a tenth.

At least we’re getting some external help it seems. I still think player frustration comes from a complete vacuum of leadership from the coach.

Like, he put a headset on in the 4th quarter with 10 minutes left: “oh fcuk well I guess we could try a different strategy”.

Next minute he backs over JHF in the presser as one of the largest contributing factors for the loss, because he knows THAT was on the big screen.

I hope internally they start to turn on him too.

At least we’re getting some external help it seems. I still think player frustration comes from a complete vacuum of leadership from the coach.

Like, he put a headset on in the 4th quarter with 10 minutes left: “oh fcuk well I guess we could try a different strategy”.

Next minute he backs over JHF in the presser as one of the largest contributing factors for the loss, because he knows THAT was on the big screen.

Singling out and potting a young player in the media is absolutely pathetic behaviour from a coach.

If the players are undisciplined, that's on you as a senior coach, especially after 12 years in the job. They don't respect you, you weak prick.

Last edited:

Hinkley isn't.

The support he has had from the club in development of his skill and the playing group has had him pulling off an impersonation of one.

Hinkley is no more a decent coach than someone with floaties is a decent swimmer.

Matt Primus with the support Hinkley has had could have been a very decent coach.

I think Ken’s become to much of a good bloke to them all, not a leader.

That’s why we need change.

Hopefully he's now lost JHF.

Sometimes coaches are just there to pass the time and get games into the kids while the list turns over. In Hinkley's case it's while the list turns over 4 times and getting games into low ceiling smalls.
While ensuring that club greats like Robbie Gray and Travis Boak never win a flag.

Singling out and potting a young player in the media is absolutely pathetic behaviour from a coach.

If the players are undisciplined, that's on you as a senior coach, especially after 12 years in the job. They don't respect you, you weak prick.
He plays the bumbling idiot very well (and some of it isn't acting) but he knows that anything to do with Butters / JHF and behaviour is going to get media attention and drag it off of his sliding performance.

100%.

Great coaches are the offfield leaders. Usually comes from players who were great onfield leaders aswell.

Imagine having a guy like Selwood or Hodge guiding these guys off the field in terms of leadership skills.

How much onfield leadership has there been in the hinkley era, its been a massive weakness in terms of development of players in understanding the game and what is going on onfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back