Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2020 should be deleted from memory the short quarters were feckin awful

Yeah, give me the rest of the seasons where every team plays a random assortment of teams twice thereby completely distorting any semblance of a fair competition.

2020 was the fairest season that's ever been held in the history of the national competition. Who cares about the quarters being a few minutes shorter than the totally arbitrary and meaningless quarter length of other years.

We've certainly missed his & McKenzies leadership big time. Jonas got the max out of his ability for several years. Once he lost his pace he was done but always put his body on the line. Very courageous & selfless player as is McKenzie.

It's why the fuss over height was never really valid. There is so much more to defending than that and these two in their prime had it in spades. A good defender giving away a few cms is better than an average defender of the same height as his opponent. Height is basically what you rely on when you've got nothing else going for you. Same applies at the other end of the ground - witness MG at 192cm compared to Hot Toddy at 198cm. I know who I'd back in a marking contest.

The caveat is that obviously everyone would love 200cm key forwards and backs with superb skill, athleticism and competitiveness - but they're very rare.

Yeah, give me the rest of the seasons where every team plays a random assortment of teams twice thereby completely distorting any semblance of a fair competition.

2020 was the fairest season that's ever been held in the history of the national competition. Who cares about the quarters being a few minutes shorter than the totally arbitrary and meaningless quarter length of other years.
Plus we suck at the last few minutes under Ken's game plan.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would argue that the board wasn't dumb, it was just controlled by other parties that had interests outside the club as their priority. I'm sure they believe they met their (AFL) KPI's.

The 3 premierships in 5 years, yeh nah I won't try to defend the intelligence of that one :)
If you want a laugh/cry/rage/sigh/eyeroll, have another look at this:

View attachment 2056912

To be fair, there is still one year to go, and if we sacked Hinkley we would hit 100,000 members easily.
The three premierships will be tricky though.
Sacking hinkley would in absolutely no way bring us to 100k members. Pipedream.

Sacking hinkley would in absolutely no way bring us to 100k members. Pipedream.
I will personally buy 40,000 memberships next year if we sack Hinkley.

I will personally buy 40,000 memberships next year if we sack Hinkley.
steve martin 80s GIF by FilmStruck

There are a number of positives to Ken moving to West Coast, many already mentioned.

What hasn't been cited is that it totally trashes the "Ken is so loyal" narrative once and for all.

And, if he tries to pull the mental health grift, you can point out the ludicrousness of moving from a two-team state to another.

There are a number of positives to Ken moving to West Coast, many already mentioned.

What hasn't been cited is that it totally trashes the "Ken is so loyal" narrative once and for all.

And, if he tries to pull the mental health grift, you can point out the ludicrousness of moving from a two-team state to another.

Ken will go where the money is, and that’s definitely at West Coast there is so much of it that they can offer him the Indian Ocean if they what. His manager better throw the kitchen stink at it.

Moving to coach the richest club in the league off the back of years of mediocrity (and thus prime for a bounce) is perfect for someone lacking resilience.

Ross Lyon has 2 grand final appearances & very unlucky he's not a premiership coach. What he did with the Saints & Freo was impressive imo. However, I don't think he's at the top of his coaching game anymore.

It isn't just that. Lyon's reputation was tarnished by some alleged indiscretions when he was at Freo. You are right though Lyon might have won a Premiership at Freo but he stuffed things up by resting half his side against us in the last minor round game of 2015 after finishing minor premiers. We thumped his depleted side by 11 goals, they lost momentum and a shot at the GF. Lyon has made three losing Grand Finals to Hinkley's four losing Preliminary Finals.

If Hinkley were to put himself in the market place I would not be surprised if he got a gig with a Melbourne based club. We all know Ken is over rated but that is not necessarily how the people running the Melbourne clubs see things. I think that is reflected in the number of times the media link Ken to vacant coaching jobs, West Coast being the latest. Ken has a pretty good rapport with the players and that counts in the old boys network. That is partly how he got the job at Port- he was recommended by a couple of ex Geelong players. There is no doubt the Port Coaching Appointment Panel with David Parkin at the helm were influenced by this.

The AFL should have taken that opportunity to switch to 15 minute quarters going forward, in my opinion. The length of games becomes mind numbingly boring as it stands. 1 hour of actual play is plenty. And stop the clock after scores and out of bounds only. Basically, each time the ball goes outside the field of play. Keep the clock running for ball ups. Spending 3 and a half hours watching a game of football is ludicrous.
For a game with barely any rules it is by far the most over officiated game on earth. As an exercise, close your eyes during the TV coverage of any game and have a listen to how often the whistle is blown. It's pretty funny listening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isn't just that. Lyon's reputation was tarnished by some alleged indiscretions when he was at Freo. You are right though Lyon might have won a Premiership at Freo but he stuffed things up by resting half his side against us in the last minor round game of 2015 after finishing minor premiers. We thumped his depleted side by 11 goals, they lost momentum and a shot at the GF. Lyon has made three losing Grand Finals to Hinkley's four losing Preliminary Finals.

If Hinkley were to put himself in the market place I would not be surprised if he got a gig with a Melbourne based club. We all know Ken is over rated but that is not necessarily how the people running the Melbourne clubs see things. I think that is reflected in the number of times the media link Ken to vacant coaching jobs, West Coast being the latest. Ken has a pretty good rapport with the players and that counts in the old boys network. That is partly how he got the job at Port- he was recommended by a couple of ex Geelong players. There is no doubt the Port Coaching Appointment Panel with David Parkin at the helm were influenced by this.

The media propaganda about stinkers is not necessarily the same as how he's perceived internally within the industry. It would be well known he failed every senior coach interview he ever had. They'd be aware his "strong home and away record" is propped up by winning 95% of his games against 3 clubs, plus his terrible finals record and lack of long term success.

of course, nobody in the AFL actually rates Hinkley, they're not stupid, it's just to annoy us. that's why he won't go to successful clubs like Geelong or West Coast, he might get a token senior assistant role at Tasmania or something at best.

The magic of Hinkley is that he's been able to convince the football world that Port Adelaide is one of the worst clubs in the competition who could never hope to properly compete for the ultimate and that anything better than finishing bottom 6 is a successful outcome.

I don't think people necessarily rate him as a great coach. They rate him in the way that you might rate someone to run a lawn mowing business but you'd never put them in charge of a finance firm. He's at his level as Port Adelaide coach and by finishing 5th-10th we are above our level.

Last edited:
The magic of Hinkley is that he's been able to convince the football world that Port Adelaide is one of the worst clubs in the competition who could never hope to properly compete for the ultimate and that anything short of finishing bottom 6 is a successful outcome.

I don't think people necessarily rate him as a great coach. They rate him in the way that you might rate someone to run a lawn mowing business but you'd never put them in charge of a finance firm. He's at his level as Port Adelaide coach and by finishing 5th-10th we are above our level.
Plus the `anything short of finishing bottom 6 is a successful outcome' goes hand in glove with kok's `little old blue collar club from Alberton' schtick!

The magic of Hinkley is that he's been able to convince the football world that Port Adelaide is one of the worst clubs in the competition who could never hope to properly compete for the ultimate and that anything better than finishing bottom 6 is a successful outcome.

He's also attractive to a team like West Coast because he doesn't bottom out. West Coast have barely won 8 games the last 3 seasons, so the idea of a quick elevation out of the doldrums is appealing.

People forget how good we were that year. You are absolutely correct that it was our most balanced side. We had good players in all positions and it was a nice sweet spot where the old guys could still do it and the young guys were good enough to give us some spark.

Our defence was ranked #1 in the league. Byrne-Jones (1st), Jonas (3rd) and McKenzie (5th) all placed top 5 in the B&F.

Our attack was ranked #2 in the league. Dixon was an All Australian. Robbie Gray was still a match winner on his day. Powell-Pepper and Butters were playing hybrid midfield/forward roles. Rozee and Motlop could bob up and kick a couple on their day too.

Engine room wasn't as skillful as it is now but it was much tougher. Boak placed 2nd in the Brownlow, Rockliff had his only really top quality season for us and Wines got better and better as the year went on after actually being left out of the Showdown team in round 2 and laying the groundwork for his Brownlow season that was to follow. Lycett was average but we had Ladhams as back up who could go forward and kick a goal and then hold his own in ruck.

Top of the table all season, percentage of 135, lost 3 games all season (one relatively competitively against Brisbane at the GABBA and one against a St Kilda team that kicked 12.1). Won our first final against Geelong and then blew it against Richmond who actually only managed 6 goals but somehow still beat us. A terrible missed opportunity.

The shorter quarters helped our style a lot.

He's also attractive to a team like West Coast because he doesn't bottom out. West Coast have barely won 8 games the last 3 seasons, so the idea of a quick elevation out of the doldrums is appealing.

He doesn't bottom out because he has had close to the best list in the AFL at his disposal.

The only reason Port are not bottom 4 at present is JHF returned home.

West Coast Eagles have a shocking list and and need probably every year between now and Tasmania coming in loading up with high end draft picks. Ken I'm confident will deliver them the opportunity to land high end draft picks.

He doesn't bottom out because he has had close to the best list in the AFL at his disposal.

The only reason Port are not bottom 4 at present is JHF returned home.
Yep. Never bottomed out, mostly thanks to the brilliance of R Gray... Imagine what a competent coach could've done with Robbie at his disposal...

He may not get them to grand finals but he'll definitely sort out their discarded toilet roll problem within months of getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back