Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm at an age where the vast majority of my footy viewing life is with Ken at the helm. All the stories of the past, being able to absorb the culture of the club by characters like you all who watched us in the sanfl, it's jarring. This is basically how clubs lose their identity. I believe all the older fellas who insist that this club used to be special, and it still could be with a new coach. But I wasn't there, and every year there's more of me and less of you.

It's one thing to traumatise 2 generations of quality players into chokers at the end of each season. But the even greater crime is the complete cultural disconnect between fans. Over 100 years of continuous history ended by weakness. I don't subscribe to the overly simple social theory that strong men make good times, good times make weak men, etc, but I think this applies very directly to our club.

But then on another level, what chance did we have to survive modern times? Being the only club capable of retaining it's history and identity in the great Victorian takeover of the national game was a hell of an achievement, but it came at such an incredible cost. We have an AFL appointed board which prioritises stability over success. Hinkley is a symptom of this greater problem.

Very broadly speaking I love footy. I live for the weekly ritual of it all, the narratives and shared history with friends and family and the whole Port Adelaide community. I live and breathe this. I can only hate Ken so much because the systematic eradication of what makes this club special feels inevitable with or without him.

View attachment 2103225

Star Coach™ Ken Hinkley, going into a home semi as rank underdogs to a team that started 0-5, and have only beaten the Crows and West Coast outside of their home catchment (Melbourne/Tasmania) since they won by 11 goals against us in the Russell Ebert Tribute Game, R2 2022.

‘Why are Port fans so mad?’
Kenny doesn't have the cattle to win at home against a team featuring Calsher Dear, Sam Frost, Harry Morrison, Conor Nash, Finn Maginess, and the corpses of Gunston and Breust.

Slobbo tonight on AA saying that if we lose next week the club desperately needs to look at what's going on between the ears and what the cause is.....

Bit late to the party their mate, us feral supporters had that part figured out years ago, we've just been told to shut up and let Ken work his magic time and time again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t know who Slobbo is, but why is he talking about this NOW? It took me a few months SEVEN YEARS AGO to realize the issue.

I couldn’t know the actual cause, but it’s not hard to raise the hypotheses. It’s ALWAYS a leadership problem. It doesn’t leave many suspects: captain/leaders; coaches; front office; chairman/board. That’s it.

That figurehead comment last night, what a croc of shit he has been the one common thread through these disastrous finals campaigns and he sticks with these players who continually let us down they are HIS decisions.
He has always avoided taking responsibility. It's the main reason I hate him. Such a gutless prick.

Cassisi started to finally wake up after the Showdown loss earlier this year. Has been quite critical and asking pertinent questions of and to Ken in footy committee meetings, specifically about setup structures and how they would adapt in the latter half of the season.

Ken actually struggled to answer some of these outside of saying that (paraphrasing) "things will look different."
Ken struggling to answer some of these questions doesn't surprise me one bit but good to hear he's finally being held to some account. Since 2015 he's talked in riddles. If I worked with someone like Ken I would think he was incompetent & would have zero respect for him. Don't know how the players hold him in such regard, total mystery to me.

Scott went into detail of how they gameplanned and balanced the risk/reward in his post game conference.

Geelong's coaching and setup appears to be that of a level of US/European sports.
Scott is well educated in sports science & smart. Our coach actively avoids self-improvement.

I concede nothing is happening until next weeks result, should we lose again.

But from that point I just can't fathom even the consideration to continue on with Ken next year? Pro Josh or not, he's done his apprenticeship 5 times over, has rejected multiple large club offers, has grown with this current crop of players and would have to be ready to go.

The club wanted him because they can brand it as a bit of a continuation of their strategy and don't really have to admit failure, but that being the case, just pull the chord and get it done?

What is the point of Ken? Genuinely

They want to prove us wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a non-Port supporting ally to these threads, I find no joy in coming back here for a visit, but know from reading the analysis that you lot know your footy - especially after what you’ve been put through.

This whole saga has shown just how much of an afterthought fans of our sport are.

And if it can happen to a club like Port, you know the sport is in trouble.

A club built from working-class people that for decades showed the top end of town through football that, given opportunity and an even playing field, they can be better and more innovative and ruthless then them.

But, through the sustained attack on Port fans that has happened by the media for years now - an attack that has sadly not seen any serious resistance from the club - we see exactly where the AFL, the media and the clubs see fans in the pecking order.

Port fans saw through Hinkley a long time ago for the fraud he is. They have literally been saying for a decade “this guy will beat up on teams in the home and away season, but his limitations come to the fore in finals”.

The fans have been proved right time and again.

What do they get from the absurd coaching protection racket that is our media? Constant ridicule. Questioning loyalty. Taunting when Hinkley wins in the regular season. Gaslighting about the list not being good enough. Questioning “who you gonna get” when there are ex-Premiership players like Kingsley impressing as assistants

If the AFL media did their job of analyzing the game instead of protecting coaches like Hinkley, he would have been gone long ago. Fans would understand tactically he isn’t up to it. But there’s next to no serious analysis of tactics from the media of this sport.

And all this from the media for what? Ken ****ing Hinkley of all people?!

I remember reading a great quote on here about Hinkley. It was something like “the extraordinary thing about Hinkley is the media have built a cult of personality around someone that has no personality”.

Sums it up beautifully still.

It’s a sporting tragedy the way Port fans have been gaslighted by the media. The club has sadly not stuck up for the fans either and it makes me angry as a non-supporter.

Last night, seeing the narcissist Kenny giving his pre-match address, with his weird walking style and finger wagging, I knew he would get in the player’s heads and **** up their mindset pre-game. Narcissists like Ken can’t resist meddling as they have delusions of grandeur, even though i have no doubt that any success they have in the regular season has zero to do with his coaching input, it is always about reactions to things which aren’t sustainable.

Come finals time? Ken gets a big head, gets smoke blown up his arse and the narcissist part of him tells himself that it was all down to him. And he ****s it up over and over. He is a cancer.

For me, this whole shitshow is emblematic of what our sport has become. And how pathetic the AFL media really are.
Perfectly described. I think I hate the Afl media more than Ken & that's unthinkable.

That is a massive compliment. I think port as a whole are the spurs of the AFL. Fold like a deck of cards any time they build momentum and have won ****all in recent times.
I always think of us as Everton. Unbelievable history but a laughing stock today.

I don’t know who Slobbo is, but why is he talking about this NOW? It took me a few months SEVEN YEARS AGO to realize the issue.

I couldn’t know the actual cause, but it’s not hard to raise the hypotheses. It’s ALWAYS a leadership problem. It doesn’t leave many suspects: captain/leaders; coaches; front office; chairman/board. That’s it.

Mark Robinson, chief footy writer for the Herald Sun I think, he's a vic footy journo who sits alongside Hinkleys biggest fan on AFL 360.

Mark Robinson, chief footy writer for the Herald Sun I think, he's a vic footy journo who sits alongside Hinkleys biggest fan on AFL 360.

The main issue is that those that can act on the problem are the actual cause of the problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back