Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

When was the last time a coach lasted 12 years without winning a flag?
I know it's not completely comparing apples with apples, but it happens all the time in lower leagues and sometimes those coaches are even club legends, ex players etc who had great success as players but couldn't transfer it to the coaches box.
At AFL level, granted, it's an anomaly. Although Sheedy at Essendon did go 8 years between 85 and 93, notwithstanding winning 2 prior to that.

I know it's not completely comparing apples with apples, but it happens all the time in lower leagues and sometimes those coaches are even club legends, ex players etc who had great success as players but couldn't transfer it to the coaches box.
At AFL level, granted, it's an anomaly. Although Sheedy at Essendon did go 8 years between 85 and 93, notwithstanding winning 2 prior to that.
Okay. Ken can go coach in the lower leagues then.

The fact that the best example you could come up with is a coach who went four less years than Ken without winning a flag (and only after he'd already previously won two flags) is illuminating.

The fact that the best example you could come up with is a coach who went four less years than Ken without winning a flag (and only after he'd already previously won two flags) is illuminating.
The lower leagues would expect success within a 12 year stint, plus they don't pay 900k per year for **** all.

Remember the "success without premierships" comment? (I forget who said it). I'm still shaking my head at such a concept - in what strange universe does zero grand finals constitute success? Fos Williams would flatten anyone who put forward something so absurd.

Last year
Current Senior Player "We are humans first and foremost. We should not be defined and judged by results. This isn't the be all and end all. Being a good human and the connection and relationships we foster and have within the club environment are the most important things"

Me "Ummm... That's great. Can you maybe win some finals matches if that doesn't get in the way of that philosophy" :D

The media selling this game as do or die for ken is the most ridiculous piece of reporting ever. It's 12 years numbnuts, not one game
Yep so many fascinating storylines involved in this game... Ginnivan, Boak, Mitchell, Clarkson, Dixon, Butters, Watson, Day, Houston. Arguably the most successful modern club vs the outright most successful club of all time.

Yet as usual the media boils it down to... can Camperdown Ken save his job again and collect another year's salary??

The lower leagues would expect success within a 12 year stint, plus they don't pay 900k per year for **** all.
Fair point about the financial details, but my own country club didn't play one single final between 1978 and 2010, with one senior coach in the box for 19 of those years. And he was ( now deceased ) a club legend / life member who was part of the club's massive streak of flags in the 50s and 60s as a player and whose relatives are still involved with both the football, cricket and netball clubs today and is still revered in the local community. Not comparing apples with apples granted, but it does happen.
Another poster on here questioned whether another coach has been flicked after losing prelims. Bill Goggin ( Geelong ) lost two prelims to Collingwood in 1980-81 and got sacked the year after.

Don't blame Ken Hinkley for the loss :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair point about the financial details, but my own country club didn't play one single final between 1978 and 2010, with one senior coach in the box for 19 of those years. And he was ( now deceased ) a club legend / life member who was part of the club's massive streak of flags in the 50s and 60s as a player and whose relatives are still involved with both the football, cricket and netball clubs today and is still revered in the local community. Not comparing apples with apples granted, but it does happen.
Another poster on here questioned whether another coach has been flicked after losing prelims. Bill Goggin ( Geelong ) lost two prelims to Collingwood in 1980-81 and got sacked the year after.
Sounds like a loser coach at a loser club

Last year
Current Senior Player "We are humans first and foremost. We should not be defined and judged by results. This isn't the be all and end all. Being a good human and the connection and relationships we foster and have within the club environment are the most important things"

Me "Ummm... That's great. Can you maybe win some finals matches if that doesn't get in the way of that philosophy" :D

Why do they think we care about this sort of stuff? How tone deaf is it to actually put this stuff out into public?

It's great that you enjoy your life and job but I have no investment in you as a person. My investment in you is as professional athletes who I hope collectively win a premiership for the club I support.

If I'm going in for surgery at a hospital it would be lovely if the surgeon was a great human with great connections with everyone they work with. But what I really want is for the surgeon to be good at being a surgeon and successfully perform the operation.

Why do they think we care about this sort of stuff? How tone deaf is it to actually put this stuff out into public?

It's great that you enjoy your life and job but I have no investment in you as a person. My investment in you is as professional athletes who I hope collectively win a premiership for the club I support.

If I'm going in for surgery at a hospital it would be lovely if the surgeon was a great human with great connections with everyone they work with. But what I really want is for the surgeon to be good at being a surgeon and successfully perform the operation.
Absolutely. Almost choked on my Weeties yesterday when Rucci said "Ken's a gentleman". Really Rooch? Did he hold the door open for you?

Was watching the Eddie and Jimmy podcast like others here have mentioned. Saw the part where Eddie claimed to have spoken to a senior Port Adelaide person about them hoping we beat Hawthorn so we don't have do go back to Adelaide. I 100% believe this to be the case. I didn't raise it on here before the final, but we have definitely created some sort of hoodoo for ourselves at Adelaide Oval. I actually really like the whole "Never Tear Us Apart" thing and the fireworks etc. but given the psyche our group has inherited / developed around expectation and pressure,... like I said... you could see the fear and "deer in the headlights" look on our players faces as they ran out the race. It's ESPECIALLY pertinent during 'make or break' moments of the game, like the start and if the opposition start mounting a comeback or break a run of goals against. It might be projection, but the feeling is palpable. You can feel that doubt creep in and the PTSD from previous shitshows creep in. I don't know what we have to do to break it. It felt like the move to Adelaide Oval was a good reset for the club in terms of stuff like this, but unfortunately during Ken's reign we've let too many of these big defeats happen on our own deck in big games that I 100% believe it's contributing factor on nights like last Thursday. We need some sort of mental break, something different to just deflate everything and get it back to just a bunch of blokes paying footy. It's going to be difficult to have that happen this week with even more pressure on the game. It 'might' just be enough having a new coach. I dunno.

a senior Port Adelaide person about them hoping we beat Hawthorn so we don't have do go back to Adelaide. I 100% believe this

If we lose, they don’t have to go back either.

It’s senseless.

Was watching the Eddie and Jimmy podcast like others here have mentioned. Saw the part where Eddie claimed to have spoken to a senior Port Adelaide person about them hoping we beat Hawthorn so we don't have do go back to Adelaide. I 100% believe this to be the case. I didn't raise it on here before the final, but we have definitely created some sort of hoodoo for ourselves at Adelaide Oval. I actually really like the whole "Never Tear Us Apart" thing and the fireworks etc. but given the psyche our group has inherited / developed around expectation and pressure,... like I said... you could see the fear and "deer in the headlights" look on our players faces as they ran out the race. It's ESPECIALLY pertinent during 'make or break' moments of the game, like the start and if the opposition start mounting a comeback or break a run of goals against. It might be projection, but the feeling is palpable. You can feel that doubt creep in and the PTSD from previous shitshows creep in. I don't know what we have to do to break it. It felt like the move to Adelaide Oval was a good reset for the club in terms of stuff like this, but unfortunately during Ken's reign we've let too many of these big defeats happen on our own deck in big games that I 100% believe it's contributing factor on nights like last Thursday. We need some sort of mental break, something different to just deflate everything and get it back to just a bunch of blokes paying footy. It's going to be difficult to have that happen this week with even more pressure on the game. It 'might' just be enough having a new coach. I dunno.

Is a move back to footy park out of the question ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sounds like a loser coach at a loser club
More to do with the lack of junior programme that existed in that period. Once a kid got past under 16s there was no option but to go onto the senior list or transfer to one of the other bigger clubs in the area that had better junior programmes and continue to develop naturally. Hence, as an example, when I played my first game in '82 the team was made up of kids still in high school, and the old burned out heroes of the club's successful period in the 60s through to the last premiership in '75. And with each year, more of those old warhorses retired, so for years it was boys playing men and in many cases, men who had played X VFL games at Geelong. AFL has more control of lower leagues now so junior development is more of a focus.

I think Eddie phrased it incorrectly as evidenced by him expanding upon it. It's about beating Hawthorn and getting away from Adelaide. I'm hardly surprised that oppo clubs don't exactly see AO as the Portress, we've been shat on here quite a bit.

Do we win big games away? I’m not sure it makes any difference.

Coobk001 RussellEbertHandball

Portarlington are on the lookout for a coach. That ought to be a reasonable challenge for him. A club with 3 wins in 6 years and no finals since 1994.
Have a few contacts there. Should I put in a word for him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back