Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair point about the financial details, but my own country club didn't play one single final between 1978 and 2010, with one senior coach in the box for 19 of those years. And he was ( now deceased ) a club legend / life member who was part of the club's massive streak of flags in the 50s and 60s as a player and whose relatives are still involved with both the football, cricket and netball clubs today and is still revered in the local community. Not comparing apples with apples granted, but it does happen.
Another poster on here questioned whether another coach has been flicked after losing prelims. Bill Goggin ( Geelong ) lost two prelims to Collingwood in 1980-81 and got sacked the year after.
We are talking about a professional sport here where clubs have thousands of members that equates to millions of dollars, compounded by big sponsorship deals and 50,000 people paying through the gate.
It would be silly to even try and compare your sausage sizzle after your local game to the billion juggernaut the AFL has become.

I'm sure Ken doesn't get paid mega bucks so Donna can take the boys shorts socks and jumpers home to wash. He gets paid to deliver a GF appearance at least within a reasonable amount of time, I mean hey, we aren't wanting a coach sacked that has been hear for 5 years, this is 12.5 years with Ken, enough is enough, he has to go, he's been given every opportunity to succeed and has failed, end of story.

Last edited:
I think the die has been cast ... Assuming we dont make and/or win the grand final, Ken Hinkley will be released from his contract after our last match of the season.

So, if the word coming out of WA is true, and the Eagles are interested in him, then a win over Hawthorn would be the perfect audition for the job.

So, I am starting to lose that conflict of interest, and am hoping for a win. We lose against the Swans the game after, and Hinkley can ride off into the WA sunset with his reputation still half intact.
The Eagles are not interested in the flog. Their management isn’t as stupid as the pafc management

More to do with the lack of junior programme that existed in that period. Once a kid got past under 16s there was no option but to go onto the senior list or transfer to one of the other bigger clubs in the area that had better junior programmes and continue to develop naturally. Hence, as an example, when I played my first game in '82 the team was made up of kids still in high school, and the old burned out heroes of the club's successful period in the 60s through to the last premiership in '75. And with each year, more of those old warhorses retired, so for years it was boys playing men and in many cases, men who had played X VFL games at Geelong. AFL has more control of lower leagues now so junior development is more of a focus.
yeah sorry if my earlier post made it look like I'd care

Last year
Current Senior Player "We are humans first and foremost. We should not be defined and judged by results. This isn't the be all and end all. Being a good human and the connection and relationships we foster and have within the club environment are the most important things"

Me "Ummm... That's great. Can you maybe win some finals matches if that doesn't get in the way of that philosophy" :D
Good humans aren't involved in the inhumane sport of greyhound racing.

Do we win big games away? I’m not sure it makes any difference.

Coobk001 RussellEbertHandball
We've won 4 finals away from home in our AFL history.

2004 - GF Vs Brisbane
2005 - EF Vs Kangaroos
2013 - EF Vs Collingwood
2014 - SF Vs Fremantle

Never won an away PF, lost 2002, 2003, 2014
Never won an away QF, lost 2001, 2023.

Away Finals Total: 12 (4W-8L)
Home Finals Total: 18 (9W-9L)

We are undoubtedly better off playing home finals. We'll lose Friday though, so anything beyond that is pointless even discussing.

Ultimately our squad and group is buggered. Ratagolea played 2 good games forward and now is being wrongly persisted with. Dixon is broken and being persisted with, all because Marshall and Lord have either failed or been injured, and Finlayson is out. Then you have the loss of SPP which combined with the loss of Farrell & Houston is creating a huge issue for us in team balance on the outside. Our forward and half back flanker situation is a mess. Having all of Evans, Narkle, McEntee and DBJ in one team is a recipe for disaster. Burton was ok last week but is flaky too. DBJ has worked forward where his pointless hacks and poor aerial defence have been hidden and suddenly he is a sharpshooter applying good pressure. Yet now he's being messed around with. McEntee has been in horrific form all year and should never have come back in, and was downright embarrassing last week. Narkle has barely played footy in the last however many weeks, half games, quarters here and there for ages. Then you have the midfield and Mead who has faded incredibly badly this year, probably banged up and exhausted but just declining in form and confidence at a rapid rate. Combined with the poor ball use of Boak always and Wines in the last few weeks, we're just struggling all over the shop and too much is being left on Butters, Burgoyne and JHF, and with Butters badly injured we're in big trouble.

It's not just coaching, it's the entire position of our squad, the confidence, the positional issues, which have been masked over the last 3 weeks of the year where a loss might've actually done us good to make change, rather than just stick with the same group too long.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Almost choked on my Weeties yesterday when Rucci said "Ken's a gentleman". Really Rooch? Did he hold the door open for you?
Couldn't care less if Donuts is a gentleman. Doesn't make him a good coach. Maybe he should get a job as a concierge at a hotel.

It is going to be sickening to watch and hear the media laud Donuts if Port beat Hawthorn.

No doubt the fake tears from Donuts will be on full display if we get up.
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Tom Rehn said on 5AA this morning that the last 11 teams that lost a qualifying final by 50 points or more, won the following week - which could be bad news for Jack Ginnivan.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Tom Rehn said on 5AA this morning that the last 11 teams that lost a qualifying final by 50 points or more, won the following week - which could be bad news for Jack Ginnivan.......
Tom Rehn. King of the 53rd hand news.

Only one after 2013: Geelong (2017)

Between 2000 and 2013, straight-set eliminations were rare. Since 2014, it’s no longer the case.

Problem is port are mentally cooked under Hinkley

We've won 4 finals away from home in our AFL history.

2004 - GF Vs Brisbane
2005 - EF Vs Kangaroos
2013 - EF Vs Collingwood
2014 - SF Vs Fremantle

Never won an away PF, lost 2002, 2003.
Never won an away QF, lost 2001, 2023.

Away Finals Total: 12 (4W-8L)
Home Finals Total: 18 (9W-9L)

We are undoubtedly better off playing home finals. We'll lose Friday though, so anything beyond that is pointless even discussing.

Ultimately our squad and group is buggered. Ratagolea played 2 good games forward and now is being wrongly persisted with. Dixon is broken and being persisted with, all because Marshall and Lord have either failed or been injured, and Finlayson is out. Then you have the loss of SPP which combined with the loss of Farrell & Houston is creating a huge issue for us in team balance on the outside. Our forward and half back flanker situation is a mess. Having all of Evans, Narkle, McEntee and DBJ in one team is a recipe for disaster. Burton was ok last week but is flaky too. DBJ has worked forward where his pointless hacks and poor aerial defence have been hidden and suddenly he is a sharpshooter applying good pressure. Yet now he's being messed around with. McEntee has been in horrific form all year and should never have come back in, and was downright embarrassing last week. Narkle has barely played footy in the last however many weeks, half games, quarters here and there for ages. Then you have the midfield and Mead who has faded incredibly badly this year, probably banged up and exhausted but just declining in form and confidence at a rapid rate. Combined with the poor ball use of Boak always and Wines in the last few weeks, we're just struggling all over the shop and too much is being left on Butters, Burgoyne and JHF, and with Butters badly injured we're in big trouble.

It's not just coaching, it's the entire position of our squad, the confidence, the positional issues, which have been masked over the last 3 years of the year where a loss might've actually done us good to make change, rather than just stick with the same group too long.

The odd one, 25% against top 4 sides.

Thanks. So, again, it’s indeed BS. We may not be great at home; but we are worse away.

Only one after 2013: Geelong (2017)

Between 2000 and 2013, straight-set eliminations were rare. Since 2014, it’s no longer the case.
The introduction of the pre finals bye on 2016 has evened up the top 8

The fact that cry-baby Kenny fed Tom Morris the info himself is so great. It's right up there with the fake tears, the cupping of ear, the creepy hugs, the "figurehead" comment. Just a manipulative swindler, liar and opportunist.
Why are you so shy - why don't you say what you really think? :)

I think Eddie phrased it incorrectly as evidenced by him expanding upon it. It's about beating Hawthorn and getting away from Adelaide. I'm hardly surprised that oppo clubs don't exactly see AO as the Portress, we've been shat on here quite a bit.

We've created a carnival with fireworks opp clubs love by the looks of it.

Still no excuses, I was at the Showdown a few weeks back and it was the most alive i've been at a footy game, they stood up then.

It's all between the ears, Ken can't get them up, can't create the right mindset, weed out the players who fail, whatever it takes.

Yes I mentioned that Dillion mentioned it on SEN on Monday. I knew it was shallow analysis so I did my own digging.

I posted in the Ken Hinkley era stats thread that I scrapped the 50 pt margin and looked at 60+ pts loss. There were 6 of them and I threw in a 58pt loss.

Of those 7 all did win the SF, but then lost the PF. 4 by 50+ pts 2 in the 20s and St Kilda by 6 pts against Port in 2004.

BUT
The last one happened in 2010.

5 of the games were a Vic side playing a Vic side at the MCG.

2 of the games involved a team travelling interstate, 2002 crows travelled to the Gabba and lost by 71 pts, in 2004 St Kilda went to the Gabba and lost the QF by 80 pts.

Never has a home team lost to a travelling team by 60+ pts in their QF.

As I said in the other thread, it will take a miracle for us to win the SF and I will add to that, that an even bigger one to gofurther past that stage.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back