Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

if Carr ends up being coach, I hope he is honest with the failures to all and sundry...

It's not difficult, most coaches are, we've been in a very unusual situation for the last decade where a coach has been allowed to put self preservation above everything else

These dopey campaigners interloping with their West Bubblef@%k FL nonsense, lol.
WHAT GIVES THEM THE RIGHT...
If I never hear that shitty Bell Park oratory ever again, it'll be too soon.

Meanwhile, back at Alberton, when this nightmare finally ends, I half expect these smug, navel-gazing charlatans to build some kinda grotesque monument to their decade and change of chronic underachievement, gross incompetence and full-blown futility farken...

Mount Shitmore.png

"for some reason" is a mind-bending thing to see an athlete say. i can't recall a player ever admitting how clueless they are. they always say it was workrate or accuracy or their bad start or whatever.
Or just talk out your ass for God's sake. Give the supporters some hope!

"We need to focus and prepare as best we can. We've reviewed, we know what we need to do and this week we're going to go out and give it a red-hot crack which we think will go a long way towards getting the result."

NaH nOtHiNg sTaNdS oUt

****ing hell man.

Jed to the midfield is one of the most idiotic ideas I've heard. Fitting it's come from one of Ken's biggest supporters who is decades past his use by date.

I love Blighty, but he’s gone full Joe Biden & probably needs to be committed if he’s making ludicrous comments like this. Does SEN have a 3-4am time slot where they can discuss Midfield Jed & Flat Earth conspiracies?

The weeks following the 2021 Prelim debacle will always stay with me, and maybe one day we will actually get the actual truth of what transpired and what review within the club if any took place.

A good bit of advice might be if you want to lie to your fans and members and say you have done a review then maybe make sure everyone is on the same page. There was a stretch over about four days where every player and coach when asked gave a different answer on the review ranging from we haven't reviewed it yet, we have reviewed it a little, we have done an in-depth review, I am sure we will review it in the coming days..Then eventually the response was "We have moved on" And move on we did with a blistering 0-5 start to the 2022 Campaign.

Your daily reminder that Ken didn’t want this bloke anywhere near the coaches or coaches box because he viewed him as a threat.
He also didn't want Jay Schulz as forwards coach, while one Warren Tredrea had to go away and learn all about the Port Adelaide Football Club. Truth is often stranger than fiction!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or just talk out your ass for God's sake. Give the supporters some hope!

"We need to focus and prepare as best we can. We've reviewed, we know what we need to do and this week we're going to go out and give it a red-hot crack which we think will go a long way towards getting the result."

NaH nOtHiNg sTaNdS oUt

****ing hell man.

We've been like this for the whole Koch era. Our PR people either don't exist or haven't had their finger on the pulse the whole time.

Every bit of communication that comes out of our club reeks of incompetent loser trying to run from accountability.

We've won 4 finals away from home in our AFL history.

2004 - GF Vs Brisbane
2005 - EF Vs Kangaroos
2013 - EF Vs Collingwood
2014 - SF Vs Fremantle

Never won an away PF, lost 2002, 2003, 2014
Never won an away QF, lost 2001, 2023.

Away Finals Total: 12 (4W-8L)
Home Finals Total: 18 (9W-9L)

We are undoubtedly better off playing home finals. We'll lose Friday though, so anything beyond that is pointless even discussing.

Ultimately our squad and group is buggered. Ratagolea played 2 good games forward and now is being wrongly persisted with. Dixon is broken and being persisted with, all because Marshall and Lord have either failed or been injured, and Finlayson is out. Then you have the loss of SPP which combined with the loss of Farrell & Houston is creating a huge issue for us in team balance on the outside. Our forward and half back flanker situation is a mess. Having all of Evans, Narkle, McEntee and DBJ in one team is a recipe for disaster. Burton was ok last week but is flaky too. DBJ has worked forward where his pointless hacks and poor aerial defence have been hidden and suddenly he is a sharpshooter applying good pressure. Yet now he's being messed around with. McEntee has been in horrific form all year and should never have come back in, and was downright embarrassing last week. Narkle has barely played footy in the last however many weeks, half games, quarters here and there for ages. Then you have the midfield and Mead who has faded incredibly badly this year, probably banged up and exhausted but just declining in form and confidence at a rapid rate. Combined with the poor ball use of Boak always and Wines in the last few weeks, we're just struggling all over the shop and too much is being left on Butters, Burgoyne and JHF, and with Butters badly injured we're in big trouble.

It's not just coaching, it's the entire position of our squad, the confidence, the positional issues, which have been masked over the last 3 weeks of the year where a loss might've actually done us good to make change, rather than just stick with the same group too long.
The squad and group didn't appear to be buggered to me in the last few rounds of the year. There were definitely some positional issues up forward that were a concern but i thought we had some really strong performances. Sydney win, Crows win, and freo win in the last month were all very good wins. And now after wilting under finals pressure again suddenly the issues were there all along?

I think we just choked in finals again.

The good thing is of all the games you've predicted we are 100% losing this year, we've won quite a few, so there is hope for me. I'd be more worried if you were confident.

It's like when they slag off the supporters instead of saying "We have the best supporters in the league, our supporters are footy savvy and they'll call out when they see something that is below par. We know our supporters have high expectations and it's our job as Port Adelaide people to rise to meet those expectations."

The squad and group didn't appear to be buggered to me in the last few rounds of the year. There were definitely some positional issues up forward that were a concern but i thought we had some really strong performances. Sydney win, Crows win, and freo win in the last month were all very good wins. And now after wilting under finals pressure again suddenly the issues were there all along?

The good thing is of all the games you've predicted we are 100% losing this year, we've won quite a few, so there is hope for me. I'd be more worried if you were confident.

I think we played 6 good quarters. 2 against Carlton and then 4 against Sydney.

Then we had battling wins against 3 sides that didn't make the 8. None of them suggested we were primed for a crack at a flag. We fell into the trap of thinking winning form is good form.

Then we had battling wins against 3 sides that didn't make the 8. None of them suggested we were primed for a crack at a flag. We fell into the trap of thinking winning form is good form.

Yes but then you look at Geelong's form across the last 6 weeks of the H&A season and it hardly screams 'this team is about to win a QF by 84 points' ...

• Nothing wins against West Coast and North
  • Convincingly beaten by St Kilda and the Bulldogs
  • Narrow wins over Freo and Adelaide

This idea that you need to be absolutely flying to win finals is similar to the idea that you need 18 All Australians to win finals otherwise poor Kenny doesn't have the cattle. It's ex post facto rubbish to explain why we can't win finals when the real reason is coaching and culture that doesn't allow us to step up and perform at or near our best when the pressure comes on.

Sorry, missed this and posted in the other thread.

The thing that gave me confidence last week was that we have defied our own trends a fair bit this year, we'd even started playing like AO was a bit of a fortress. The Geel win is our first win against top 4 away since 2015. The win against Sydney was the best ever, definitely since the 2014 EF. There were signs there was change, but all of that was blown away last week, and probably because we've held on the last 3 weeks, scraping over the line in good wins, but also wall papering over the cracks.

I thought the showdown and freo games we showed quite a bit of ticker in both of those matches and just gradually wore each opponent down who both came to play.

the QF was so far removed from those performances, mainly with effort, intensity and our defensive structure that seemed to be holding up well and only conceded around 50-60 points a game went by the wayside.

Sorry, missed this and posted in the other thread.

The thing that gave me confidence last week was that we have defied our own trends a fair bit this year, we'd even started playing like AO was a bit of a fortress. The Geel win is our first win against top 4 away since 2015. The win against Sydney was the best ever, definitely since the 2014 EF. There were signs there was change, but all of that was blown away last week, and probably because we've held on the last 3 weeks, scraping over the line in good wins, but also wall papering over the cracks.
21/23 players that played in that Sydney game were there against Geelong.

How this nepo job doesn't get more scrutiny I'll never understand.

Football analytics seems like one of our biggest weaknesses.

Yeah, it’s strange.

The early question marks on jobs the wider Hinkley family got with the club tended to get lumped into wider ad-hom accusations and associated ‘leave them alone’ handwringing.

At best they were waved away as stacks of clubs have done it in the past (every wife/girlfriend was a ‘part-time secretary’ during the VFL arms race of the 80’s), but that one rankles regardless.

How many sons and daughters of current AFL/NRL/A-League head coaches work in their father’s actual football department?

When I think of teams in contention from previous years, the ability to get it done away from home during the minor round is a big plus. On the run home after the Brisbane game we accounted for St K, Melb, Carlton, Freo away, beat up on Swans and bulldogs at home and beat the Crows which is always considered a 50/50 game. Not to mention beating Geelong away.
I’m not sure you can get a better run of form suggesting you’re going to be a serious challenger come finals.
It was a Hinkley led choke.

This idea that you need to be absolutely flying to win finals is similar to the idea that you need 18 All Australians to win finals otherwise poor Kenny doesn't have the cattle. It's ex post facto rubbish to explain why we can't win finals when the real reason is coaching and culture that doesn't allow us to step up and perform at or near our best when the pressure comes on.
This is true, but I think our issues on many levels are heightened when you look at our team and how it is now travelling. That's on the coaching panel mainly for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back