Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

When was the last time a coach who has lost a semi was sacked? We're in uncharted territory.

I think those who think Ken will automatically be shown the door if we loose on Friday do not know David Koch that well. On at least two previous occasions Ken has been re appointed when most of us believe he should not have been.

No one has been able to tell me who the last AFL coach to go out in straight sets in successive years was. It maybe that is also uncharted territory. Ken already holds the record for the AFL/VFL Coach with most games without a Grand Final appearance so a loss this week could see another dismal stat added to Ken's CV. You would think Koch would take note of these failings but there are no guarantees with Koch and the current Board.

Yes but then you look at Geelong's form across the last 6 weeks of the H&A season and it hardly screams 'this team is about to win a QF by 84 points' ...

• Nothing wins against West Coast and North
  • Convincingly beaten by St Kilda and the Bulldogs
  • Narrow wins over Freo and Adelaide

It reminds me of the Ben Brown Bowl at the end of 2019:

• North: 1-4 in their previous 5 games, including scoring just 1 (ONE) goal at Kardinia Park the week before.

• Port: 2-3 in their previous 5 games, coming directly off shellackings of Essendon and Sydney, and a 1pt loss to Grand Finalists, GWS.

Disparate recent formline. Port red hot favourites. A gigantic shellacking nobody saw coming.

You can make the same case for the 2021 Prelim (3 years ago to the day, btw).

Weird how this keeps happening.

I think those who think Ken will automatically be shown the door if we loose on Friday do not know David Koch that well. On at least two previous occasions Ken has been re appointed when most of us believe he should not have been.

No one has been able to tell me who the last AFL coach to go out in straight sets in successive years was. It maybe that is also uncharted territory. Ken already holds the record for the AFL/VFL Coach with most games without a Grand Final appearance so a loss this week could see another dismal stat added to Ken's CV. You would think Koch would take note of these failings but there are no guarantees with Koch and the current Board.
Wasn't it Simon Goodwin with Melbourne last season?

Goodwin at least has a Covid premiership to fall back on

Yes but then you look at Geelong's form across the last 6 weeks of the H&A season and it hardly screams 'this team is about to win a QF by 84 points' ...

• Nothing wins against West Coast and North
  • Convincingly beaten by St Kilda and the Bulldogs
  • Narrow wins over Freo and Adelaide

This idea that you need to be absolutely flying to win finals is similar to the idea that you need 18 All Australians to win finals otherwise poor Kenny doesn't have the cattle. It's ex post facto rubbish to explain why we can't win finals when the real reason is coaching and culture that doesn't allow us to step up and perform at or near our best when the pressure comes on.

Oh absolutely, even a simple "poor" performance should have seen us in the game against Geelong all the way. Geelong are shit. They'll get smashed in their prelim IMO. A performance like that only happens because Hinkley shellshocks our players for big games.

My point was more that as a team with a gameplan that relies on individual brilliance to score, filling out forward line full of low ceiling plodders because we'd beaten a few bottom 10 teams was dumb and got exposed.

In 2014 I wanted Butcher in the side because we didn't have enough forwardline presence. For the first 2/3rds of the season I was laughed at and told winning form is good form. We then pissed away a top 4 spot because teams started to play more defensively against us and we couldn't just slingshot in.

Just responding to Willsy's assertion that we finished the year strongly. We won games but we weren't playing optimally and it was a problem. You may remember me bitching about it for several weeks.

Couldn't care less if Donuts is a gentleman. Doesn't make him a good coach. Maybe he should get a job as a concierge at a hotel.

Besides which, is this even true?

What makes him a ‘gentleman’, exactly?

Has been balls deep in the greyhound industry for decades, routinely throws his players and assistant coaches under the bus, and emotionally manipulates situations to his advantage (Warren Tredrea and the fans are mean wahhhhh 😭😭😭).

A ‘gentleman’ would’ve resigned with grace years ago.

Wasn't it Simon Goodwin with Melbourne last season?

Goodwin at least has a Covid premiership to fall back on

Melbourne went out in straight sets in both 2022 and 2023 but were more than competitive in doing so:

In 2022 they lost the QF by 22 points and the SF by 13 points.

In 2023 they lost the QF by 7 points and the SF by 2 points.

Contrast this to our record of:

In 2023 we lost the QF by 48 points and the SF by 23 points.

In 2024 we lost the QF by 84 points and the SF by ? points.

This is comfortably the worst set of finals performances in history and that's not taking into account the 71 point PF loss that preceded it.

Besides which, is this even true?

What makes him a ‘gentleman’, exactly?

Has been balls deep in the greyhound industry for decades, routinely throws his players and assistant coaches under the bus, and emotionally manipulates situations to his advantage (Warren Tredrea and the fans are mean wahhhhh 😭😭😭).

A ‘gentleman’ would’ve resigned with grace years ago.
Rucci said it yesterday arvo. I thought wtf?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It reminds me of the Ben Brown Bowl at the end of 2019:

• North: 1-4 in their previous 5 games, including scoring just 1 (ONE) goal at Kardinia Park the week before.

• Port: 2-3 in their previous 5 games, coming directly off shellackings of Essendon and Sydney, and a 1pt loss to Grand Finalists, GWS.

Disparate recent formline. Port red hot favourites. A gigantic shellacking nobody saw coming.

You can make the same case for the 2021 Prelim (3 years ago to the day, btw).

Weird how this keeps happening..
Anomalies mate

Melbourne went out in straight sets in both 2022 and 2023 but were more than competitive in doing so:

In 2022 they lost the QF by 22 points and the SF by 13 points.

In 2023 they lost the QF by 7 points and the SF by 2 points.

Contrast this to our record of:

In 2023 we lost the QF by 48 points and the SF by 23 points.

In 2024 we lost the QF by 84 points and the SF by ? points.

This is comfortably the worst set of finals performances in history and that's not taking into account the 71 point PF loss that preceded it.

Lol what an embarrassment

What have we done to deserve this + 119

Our 20 years post 2004 have arguably been worse than Essendon's 20 years no finals win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back