Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm only going to post this once because I'll have nothing to add between now and Friday night.

Irrespective of what they're saying in the media, there are people at Port who strongly believe West Coast are waiting for Port's season to end to have the conversation with Ken. If West Coast want him and Ken wants to leave, I fully expect Port to facilitate a deal.

Things are more blurry than they were a few weeks ago. A big loss in the prelim would end it for sure. A close loss makes it interesting - there would still be people who want to get rid of Ken but short of me speaking to every person on the footy committee I'm not sure how the numbers would unfold exactly. But the argument to get rid of him at that point would be it is a 4th consecutive preliminary final failure which remains compelling.

There's also the CD factor - Collingwood are throwing the kitchen sink at him. If he goes, that throws another spanner in the works.
Thanks Chewy316

Last edited:
There's a theory that West Coast haven't progressed with their coach search because their team is still in the finals.

The media is suggesting they might want an experienced coach.

There's been talk of Brisbane potentially offering a seemingly premature coaching extension to Fagan.

There's also supporters that want him gone.

Given all of those factors, do we not think that maybe it's Fagan, and not Hinkley, that the Eagles are after? I feel like that would make as much, if not more, sense than going after Hinkley. Are we sitting and waiting for a Hinkley poaching that's never going to happen?

CDs comments on 5AA were pretty telling. Under reported on this board (unless I missed it). Basically acknowledging that the club will need to make a decision to move on from the current members of the football department at some point. Reading between the lines, I’d say Davies et al know they’ve had a decent crack. Or he might just be speaking for himself.
Just had a listen and agree. He definitely sounds like he's gone. Hopefully takes his protectee with him.

Woke up and still love it, hope every one of them sobbed the entire way back to Rowville
Reminds me of that billboard on the outskirts of Melbourne after the 2017 grand final - some witty Richmond fan reminded Crows fans, "IT'S A LONG DRIVE HOME - MAKE SURE YOU STOP EVERY COUPLE OF HOURS FOR A GOOD CRY." Something similar might have been appropriate after last night :).

I'll be completely honest, i love the soap opera that is this whole situation. I'm kind of at a point where, the most absurd and ridiculous thing that could possibly happen, i want that to happen.

Agreed. In the last 2 years alone we've had:
  • Tredrea vs Koch "learn about the Club"
  • "Untenable"
  • 13 in a row
  • A ridiculously early contract extension for the HC
  • Vindication for the white noise following a straight set finals exit
  • Tredrea vs Abernethy (which some may consider Tredrea vs Koch mark II)
  • A 20th anniversary of our Club's only AFL Premiership DISASTER
  • "Good Call"
  • Coming back from the brink of a coach sacking to reaching 2nd on the ladder at the end of the home & away season
  • Week 1 finals ABOMINATION
  • Week 2 finals comeback after being written off
  • "You're not flying, Jack!"

Agreed. In the last 2 years alone we've had:
  • Tredrea vs Koch "learn about the Club"
  • "Untenable"
  • 13 in a row
  • A ridiculously early contract extension for the HC
  • Vindication for the white noise following a straight set finals exit
  • Tredrea vs Abernethy (which some may consider Tredrea vs Koch mark II)
  • A 20th anniversary of our Club's only AFL Premiership DISASTER
  • "Good Call"
  • Coming back from the brink of a coach sacking to reaching 2nd on the ladder at the end of the home & away season
  • Week 1 finals ABOMINATION
  • Week 2 finals comeback after being written off
  • "You're not flying, Jack!"
For a club that wants to hang it's hat on "stability"....

Your entire point is dumb. People are allowed to think critically about the football club they support.

The "weasels" want the club to win a flag, and sometimes losing a match gets you closer to winning a flag. If we'd lost a couple of extra games to start the 2022 season, for example, we might have already changed coaches and won a flag.

It's absolutely brain dead to golf clap a coach who you know isn't up to it.
I guess Jack Cahill is also a fairweather flog for leaving last week's game early? Fact is, like every true Port fan on here, Jack can't stomach mediocrity, and like the great man, we have every right to stand up for the principles that once made our club great. I listen to crap like "let's stick with Ken until he's successful" and think to myself, "I don't have that many years left." :)

I'm only going to post this once because I'll have nothing to add between now and Friday night.

Irrespective of what they're saying in the media, there are people at Port who strongly believe West Coast are waiting for Port's season to end to have the conversation with Ken. If West Coast want him and Ken wants to leave, I fully expect Port to facilitate a deal.

Things are more blurry than they were a few weeks ago. A big loss in the prelim would end it for sure. A close loss makes it interesting - there would still be people who want to get rid of Ken but short of me speaking to every person on the footy committee I'm not sure how the numbers would unfold exactly. But the argument to get rid of him at that point would be it is a 4th consecutive preliminary final failure which remains compelling.

There's also the CD factor - Collingwood are throwing the kitchen sink at him. If he goes, that throws another spanner in the works.

I fully expect with change Butters to possibly leave and Port to be unsettled for a bit. But it’s required.

Did you see the odds before the game? Something like $1.60 to $2.30 in Hawthorn's favour. We were written off by most media scribes, genuinely the underdogs in this game.

Yeah but, the fact that was the case is precisely the issue.

I can’t remember it ever happening before in the history of the comp.

A higher-ranked Semi Finalist hosting an interstate opponent and being rank outsiders is absurd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fully expect with change Butters to possibly leave and Port to be unsettled for a bit. But it’s required.

Butters won't be going anywhere this off-season even if Ken leaves.

Did you see the odds before the game? Something like $1.60 to $2.30 in Hawthorn's favour. We were written off by most media scribes, genuinely the underdogs in this game.
Sure, the Hawks finished 7th, but as some have pointed out when it suits their agenda, if our game against them earlier in the year had been 30 seconds shorter they would have been second.

I'll be completely honest, i love the soap opera that is this whole situation. I'm kind of at a point where, the most absurd and ridiculous thing that could possibly happen, i want that to happen.
I agree, and Chewy nailed the synopsis. It has been a frustrating, but ridiculously entertaining last two years ... I am loving the circus that is currently Port Adelaide!

The wash up today would have been interesting had James Sicily's shot on goal in the dying moments slid a few inches to the right.

We would still manage a heroic goal in the final seconds. That game was ours.

Get your pitchforks out if they lose on Friday night. Otherwise, for the time being, it's time to be a Happy Clapper 😂
Harry Potter No GIF

Last edited:
I agree, and Chewy nailed the synopsis. It has been a frustrating, but ridiculously entertaining last two years ... I am loving the circus that is currently Port Adelaide!

As a club, we may be anything, but boring.

Not sure how any self respecting Port supporter could enjoy the depths to which our once successful club has descended. You are right it has become a frustrating experience and that is not something that I find entertaining, amusing or enjoyable. The really frustrating thing is we keep making the same mistakes and do not seem to learn from those mistakes.

Not sure how any self respecting Port supporter could enjoy the depths to which our once successful club has descended. You are right it has become a frustrating experience and that is not something that I find entertaining, amusing or enjoyable. The really frustrating thing is we keep making the same mistakes and do not seem to learn from those mistakes.
The disconnect between the club and supporters is something we are not used to at Port, it was always it's biggest strength, the club, the players and it's fans stood as one, that's what made us so strong and gave us that competitive edge.
Today it's we know best just shut up, pay your membership, turn up and don't question a thing.
Pathetic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back