Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's a specific margin per se where things topple over. But rather it will depend on the eye test. They need to be competitive and giving everything.

Earlier in the year they lost to GWS by under 4 goals but looked lifeless and played a beyond boring game style that day. Despite being a relatively small loss, the footy committee and Board were really quite angry about the result, which is why tensions flared 6 days later when they got smashed against Brisbane.

A game like the GWS one will also put Ken's job into a precarious position.

Mate they were never going to sack Ken in 2019 considering their debt levels in conjunction with his contract not ending until end of 2020 (with a trigger for 21).

The times Ken has been in a position where they could sack him have been:
  • 2017 after the EF loss (in hindsight should have let him go then)
  • end of 2020 season had they missed finals
  • end of 2022 had they been able to get Clarkson (which was fortunate in hindsight because they don't get JHF if Clarkson joined Port)
  • end of 2023 if they missed finals
  • end of 2024 depending on a variety of results.

I am only speculating, but I would suggest a loss on Friday night most likely results in the announcement of a formal succession plan whereby Carr takes over as senior coach in 2026.
The old succession plan, I’ve heard this story before.
Unbelievable!
Once Hinkley goes there should be an Australian wide search for a new coach.
This old someone takes over who happens to be in the building BS has been tried and failed before.

It's not only this, it's the way he plays up to it. When have you ever heard Hinkley, after a win, make a point of highlighting his support staff/assistant coaches? He doesn't. It's all him. Even Mark Williams, as crazy as he was, ALWAYS made a point of singling out all of his assistant coaches for high praise in post win press conferences as the club was marching towards a premiership. Not this guy.
If we win the next 2 games, he'll probably get up on the dais and say, "I deserve this."

Actually no. It was ours first. read the signature! :) Been QFC theme song since formation.
South Melbourne were originally known as the Blood Stained Angels and adopted their song in the 1920's ( I believe ). According to Bruce Abernathy's book From A Port To A Power, Port Magpies adopted it in the 70s.
Yep- Big Bob McLean heard it at a South Melbourne game and the rest is history..

Let him keep coaching, we are so well respected…..

ab341ab45c1ea48c34b9a27e4075c7d7.jpg
Since Kenny is completely incapable of preparing or motivating the team independently, put this shit on the whiteboard this week, along with our odds of beating Sydney, and our odds of winning the flag. Show them what people think of them. Time and again it's proven the only thing that gets them going.

The old succession plan, I’ve heard this story before.
Unbelievable!
Once Hinkley goes there should be an Australian wide search for a new coach.
This old someone takes over who happens to be in the building BS has been tried and failed before.

Regardless of what any of us want, Carr will be the next coach. Might as well make peace with it now to save yourself the angst later.

You say succession plans "has been tried and failed before."

Worked pretty well at Sydney with Longmire and Melbourne with Goodwin. Each situation is its own circumstance and should be looked upon as such.

The next big battle will be getting the Club under membership control, for which apparently Koch knows nothing about.

Yep, I'm wondering what the feeling will be between now and the next AGM.

Wonder what Kochie will do/say when people ask about a fully member-elect board. Things will be very interesting at that point, especially if we lost badly or we lost this week and the boys lost by a couple goals but look lifeless and Ken still sticks around.

Regardless of what any of us want, Carr will be the next coach. Might as well make peace with it now to save yourself the angst later.

Worked pretty well at Sydney with Longmire and Melbourne with Goodwin. Each situation is its own circumstance and should be looked upon as such.
So you're saying sack Hinkley and hire Paul Roos?

So you're saying sack Hinkley and hire Paul Roos?

I literally said to a high ranking official at the Club a week or so ago that the Club should be bringing in Roos as an advisor to help set up the footy department once CD leaves for Collingwood as expected this off-season. This individual was definitely receptive to the idea.

I’m talking about Port, easy option because oh well he’s already here Primus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since Kenny is completely incapable of preparing or motivating the team independently, put this shit on the whiteboard this week, along with our odds of beating Sydney, and our odds of winning the flag. Show them what people think of them. Time and again it's proven the only thing that gets them going.
ab341ab45c1ea48c34b9a27e4075c7d7.jpg

That wasn't a succession plan at all.
It’s basically the same, someone already there gets the job without an intensive search.
You don’t have to be Nostradamus (PAFC66)to work out Carr is going to get the job.
Problem I have is it’s typical of this amateur organization to take the easy option.
If they do a due process and still come up with Carr that’s fair enough but this is country league stuff.

It’s basically the same, someone already there gets the job without an intensive search.
You don’t have to be Nostradamus (PAFC66)to work out Carr is going to get the job.
Problem I have is it’s typical of this amateur organization to take the easy option.
If they do a due process and still come up with Carr that’s fair enough but this is country league stuff.

Correct that historically we have never done as a club. We never have taken the easy option.

Not quite. Carr has been a successful line coach at Fremantle and already coached a flag in his own right at the roosters.
Successful and Fremantle should never be used in the same sentence.
Won a flag for the Roosters, maybe we should get Darren Reeves he won last year and is there again this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back