Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully Sicily's comments have spurred Ken Hinkley on to "and I took it personally" and then wears a suit and yells in the mic "stick it up ya sic dawg woof woof" on GF day

"And to my good friend Jack Ginnivan .... YOU WERE WRONG!1!!!!1!"

The 36ers have Mike Wells we have Mr Nice Guy Ken Hinkley...

and I thought the age of Fos Williams and Ron Barassi had passed us by.

Poor Mike. I'd go off my tree too if I had to coach Montrezl Harrel.

We'll have to agree to disagree here because I can't see us finding any sort of common ground at all if you believe this.

We were 2nd playing against a 7th side at home that had totally run out of puff. We did our usual emotional push when daddy's job was in danger and worked way harder than them and pressured them out of it and that was enough to squeak over the line. Its not sustainable. Our forward entries were diabolical and we repeatedly went straight to Hok defenders because we had so little movement. The only reason we scored was individual brilliance from Willie and MG, and the reason we didn't lose was absolutely epic stand up performances from our medium sized defenders.

The players, in particulary Jase and Big Willie Styles won the game for us in spite of the coaching, not because of it.
Please don’t use the old 7th playing 2nd, we all know that Hawthorn was the hottest team coming into the finals. I think it was Tribey that posted if we didn’t win that game against them by a point they would have finished in the top 4.
Also it was most probably the worst umpiring I’ve seen since the Sydney v Dogs grand final for trying to get a team over the line.
Without the cheating umps we was at least a 4-5 goal better side.

Please don’t use the old 7th playing 2nd, we all know that Hawthorn was the hottest team coming into the finals. I think it was Tribey that posted if we didn’t win that game against them by a point they would have finished in the top 4.
Also it was most probably the worst umpiring I’ve seen since the Sydney v Dogs grand final for trying to get a team over the line.
Without the cheating umps we was at least a 4-5 goal better side.
Yeah but these teams that come in hot always fizzle out before the GF. Its almost never that you see one of these sides that start a season poorly then go on a crazy run actually go all the way. I still believe Brisbane or GWS would have been a much tougher ask than the Hawks... but also we should be favourites against any team at home if we could actually develop a home ground advantage.

The umpiring point I can agree with. I actually thought that in play the umpiring wasn't bad, but there were just so many super high impact (ie resulted in a goal or prevented a goal) terrible decisions and they all went Hawthorn's way. The Jase tackle and dissent call being the worst of the worst.

When you think about it, this club is so manipulative. I believe that after the Geelong smashing, the club thought if we win against Hawthorn we will double down on Ken, they probably think Sydney will get up so it's easier to make a weak call now than have to make a call to sack him after.

Fancy that 1 win because the opposition hit the post and he lives on for another year.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we can go all the way.

Last edited:
Hinkley's only coaching metric is "effort"

Never heard him refer to anything tactical in my life

View attachment 2115279

And on the one or two occasions he’s been pressed to elaborate beyond the usual superficial platitudes, he sounded no more astute than his predecessor.

I mean, that’s the thing though, isn’t it. He’s not trying to give away anything other than superficial platitudes. I think it’s pretty clear from his press conferences that he treats 1) the media and 2) the fans with disdain, mere inconveniences, or those “outside the four walls” etc. I don’t think you can read anything into his media comments as indicative of lack of tactical astuteness, you can discern that easily enough from game day. He probably thinks he’s being super smart, coy, deceptive by not revealing these things in the presser.

There’s obviously things more complex than “work hardery for longery” going on behind the scenes, but old mate thinks he’s protecting some amazing competitive advantage by deadbatting every question with his usual lines.

It speaks to an entirely different problem with the club, that it doesn’t see the need to bring the supporters along on the journey, which is a hallmark of any connected, successful club.

It speaks to an entirely different problem with the club, that it doesn’t see the need to bring the supporters along on the journey, which is a hallmark of any connected, successful club.

Apart from the two ‘WORLD FIRST MEMBERS’ SEMINARS’ that featured all manner of complicated information and minutiae from top-to-bottom with ginned up talk of premierships and whatnot, only to then turn around after spectacular flameouts and play the “but we’re so young!” card despite rolling with a first team stacked with 30 year olds throughout.

Yeah but these teams that come in hot always fizzle out before the GF. Its almost never that you see one of these sides that start a season poorly then go on a crazy run actually go all the way. I still believe Brisbane or GWS would have been a much tougher ask than the Hawks... but also we should be favourites against any team at home if we could actually develop a home ground advantage.

The umpiring point I can agree with. I actually thought that in play the umpiring wasn't bad, but there were just so many super high impact (ie resulted in a goal or prevented a goal) terrible decisions and they all went Hawthorn's way. The Jase tackle and dissent call being the worst of the worst.

We actually went into the Qualifying Final against Geelong with some solid form behind us. We had won seven from our last eight including wins over Sydney, Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and Fremantle all of which were either in the top eight or contenders. On that score I hope we have done all the fizzling we are going to do.

With six games to go I did not think we would make the eight so making a Prelim is better than I expected I just wish we had taken the easier road to the Prelim. That is Port under Hinkley, we do the hard yards then fall in the home stretch.

Umpiring is always a sore point and sadly I am not expecting any easy ride from the green magots. Are we still allowed to call them magots? I recall the AFL trying to stamp out the use of that term by fans. yep, there it is...

I guess I can expect a three match ban in the mail?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quick everyone, tune into Fresh 102.3 FM. They are running the Hinkley Hero Hotline where the winner will get Hinkley's head painted on their house on Monday.

People are calling in, trying to win...

This is no joke. April is way past us.
I’m telling you if by some amazing way we win the flag there will be a parade for Ken down King William st.
Lord Mayor will present him with the Keys to the city.

Hopefully Sicily's comments have spurred Ken Hinkley on to "and I took it personally" and then wears a suit and yells in the mic "stick it up ya sic dawg woof woof" on GF day
Isn't it sad that poor old Kenny needs some sort of emotional dig to get the best out of himself and the team.

A well paid professional AFL coach.

Quick everyone, tune into Fresh 102.3 FM. They are running the Hinkley Hero Hotline where the winner will get Hinkley's head painted on their house on Monday.

I will be throwing dirty nappies at that house come Monday Arvo

I rang in and gave my address as James Sicily's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back