Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand that many Port fans want to see the back of Ken but what level of player exodus would you be willing to accept?
Putting his failings aside for a moment he is obviously adored by the players.

As an example would it be worth being Ken free if you lost Butters and JHF?

Not having a direct crack at you, but the “nobody wanted to come/nobody wanted to stay” mythology around Ken that has endured for the better part of 12 years is weird.

Even sections of our own fanbase parrot it.

Every coach has his staunch allies within a dressing room, but only very rarely is there a mooted ‘exodus’ of any kind in the event he’s ruthlessly sacked.

How many of ‘Mick’s boys’ followed him to Carlton.

Dale Thomas and his polystyrene ankle? The fumes of Alex Fasolo?

We’ll be fine.

I understand that many Port fans want to see the back of Ken but what level of player exodus would you be willing to accept?

That's a silly hypothetical, we wouldn't lose a single player that we wanted to keep. The players don't like Hinkley as much as the media would have us believe.

If Ken moved on and some of our best players decided to move on with him I'd be fine with that.....no individual is bigger than the club, we have contracts in place to leverage replacements for them.

We want players playing here because we are a ruthless, professional environment that breeds success, not because their best mate is coach.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn't say embarrassing. While we're all very disappointed, finishing outside the 8 and falling apart would have been embarrassing. GWS, Bulldogs, Carlton were all disappointing in finals.

We've obviously got stuff to work on but geez imagine had we finished in 10th or something.

We've won 3 finals in 10 years, we've won 3 total quarters in our last 6 finals matches. We've been completely non competitive in those matches apart from a home semi-final against 7th place.

I'm embarrassed. Are you not embarrassed?

“Scared money don’t make money”.

Why would players leave because Ken gets sacked? He won’t get a coaching job elsewhere, so where are they going to?

Hinkley needs to be told that no matter what the circumstance, next year is his last year and Josh Carr takes over in a succession plan…and if he doesn’t like that then there’s the door and Josh Carr gets his job right now.

And for the record, I’m not 100% convinced Carr is the answer. I’d rather cast the net far and wide and get the best available, but because Josh Carr is exactly who it’s going to be then I’d rather get it over and done with sooner rather than later.
Advantages of Carr over Hinkley:
  • His name isn't Hinkley
  • Different voice at training
  • I might actually watch the press conference
  • The players will have a coach, rather than a father figure (Josh isn't old enough)
No doubt there's other advantages.

• His name isn't Hinkley
  • The players will have a coach, rather than a father figure (Josh isn't old enough)
The biggest one for me is the return of hope that maybe these minor round wins might turn into finals wins.

We can get excited about our football club again without the dread of getting burnt.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The biggest one for me is the return of hope that maybe these minor round wins might turn into finals wins.

We can get excited about our football club again without the dread of getting burnt.

Another big one - add 10,000 members (me included). Probably a conservative estimate.

• His name isn't Hinkley
Also to add to this point, removing the distraction of Hinkley. Every single year he’s a distraction; even when he’s contracted, like this year, his coaching status was up for debate, and him acting like a baby after the Hawks game and getting fined was a distraction for our finals run.

Koch wanted a decision made before finals in 2023 and re-signed him to avoid distractions, yet that re-signing itself was too early and became a distraction.

He’s out of contract once again in 2025, and you can bet your house on it—it’ll be another season where it’ll be all about Kenny and his coaching job again next year, and what he has to do to save himself.

Ken is nothing but a distraction. Just sack him now and avoid the whole disaster that we all know will happen if he stays next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've won 3 finals in 10 years, we've won 3 total quarters in our last 6 finals matches. We've been completely non competitive in those matches apart from a home semi-final against 7th place.

I'm embarrassed. Are you not embarrassed?
I'm disappointed but I think embarrassed is a bit of a stretch. There's about 10 teams that have consistently been worse than us over this period.

To Port Supporters:
People getting their knickers in a twist over Ken being a "father-figure" to the players is IMO a symptom of this board, and the anger & disdain that many have for Hinkley & the club's administration. In isolation, it is not really an issue at all! He is one of the older coaches, and like Fagan, is going to naturally be viewed that way by the players. Hinkley is good at personally mentoring players, it is a strength of his, and many of the players obviously appreciate that, and "love" him for it - Nice!

But, rather than focusing on non-pertinent issues, or personally attacking him as a person, what I prefer to do is to focus on the big picture: The fact that Hinkley is simply NOT A GOOD FOOTBALL COACH!

It is as clear as the nose on one's face! He absolutely needs to go!

Sure ... Keep the anger and passion, but we do well to stop the personal attacks, and other nonsensical posts. Make sure our emails, and public statements are filled with details and facts. All that the emotional clap-trap does, is paint us a bunch of marginal looneys, the "white noise" brigade, who's views are not worth serious consideration!

To the Media and Port Power-Brokers:
This board and the disgruntled Port supporters represent a microcosm of the Port Adelaide diaspora. There are doctors, lawyers, players and ex-players, teachers, and high-end business people represented here. I am personally related to a p!ssed-off, Gold Coast based, Port-supporting businessman, who's company's annual income exceeds that of the entire PAFC - We are not a bunch of moronic, toothless, knobs!

So for goodness sake, stop the gaslighting of disgruntled Port supporters, and the defense of a coach that has for many years shown he has reached his ceiling, and is incapable of leading the club and team to the biggest stage!

Please let us never hear the statement ever said again: "But who will they get?" Which is dumb, beyond all common reasoning, and an insult to all assistant coaches in the league. Or: "The list isn't good enough." Collingwood in recent years showed that you can go from a so-called "poor list' to a premiership very quickly under a good coach.

Finally, we don't expect Port Adelaide to achieve the Premiership greatness that it had in the SANFL era. But what we do expect, is that you, the custodians of this great club, show the courage and conviction that made this club become so great! That includes making tough decisions on the coach's tenure.

That time has arrived. This, is you your legacy!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say embarrassing. While we're all very disappointed, finishing outside the 8 and falling apart would have been embarrassing. GWS, Bulldogs, Carlton were all disappointing in finals.

We've obviously got stuff to work on but geez imagine had we finished in 10th or something.

There should be no fear in finishing 10th/having a bad season if that result leads to a change in game plan, staff or both.

I'm trying to get an update this morning. People are being cagey.

I can only encourage for the time being people to keep voicing their opinions in here because it does get read by high ranking officials at the Club, and they of all people need to understand the frustrations of the supporter base.
They also need to understand that our strong feelings won't be going away any time soon - if anything, our anger will only intensify, the longer this charade goes on.

Its about time the club took some pride back in who we are, where we've come from and what we've achieved throughout our history.

We seem absolutely beholden to Ken, and seem to genuinely fear him moving on and us falling back into 2011/12.

Ken was partially responsible for our resurgence, think that's undeniable, but the one club merger was a big part, the move to Adelaide oval a big part, a better playing list a big part.

Sure things were bad in 11/12, but we were in the middle of a rebuild after competing for approx a decade and should've come away with arguably two flags. The SANFL licence and dual club thing was squeezing us absolutely bone dry, Footy Park was a shithole that had zero attraction.

Even with all that I still think our crowds were no worse than say North Melb/Melb or even Richmonds now.

It's just not gonna happen, and this narrative in the media that Ken saved and rebuilt the club brick by brick, and without him there will be this huge player exodus and the joint may fall apart is complete bull.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They also need to understand that our strong feelings won't be going away any time soon - if anything, our anger will only intensify, the longer this charade goes on.
Next season will be so unbelievably toxic if Ken is still here.

Carr not being Hinkley is a plus but that's only if Ken is gone this week. That's only because I don't want to be looking for a new coach this late in the year. Trade/Draft changes to the list you want next year's coach involved.

Ken's still there next week I want a broom.

• His name isn't Hinkley
He will punch on with Ricciuto during half-time boundary line interviews.

I'd happily trade literally everyone bar JHF, Georgiades and Sweet. If the players want to leave, fine. We're not winning a flag with Ken here. We're lucky to win a single quarter of a final.

100% this, too.

Connor Rozee in particular reminds me of one of those pussyfooted Glenelg guns who went MIA at the first sign of trouble.

If he wanted out I’d help him pack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back