Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

It was the tail end of Fos Williams coaching career that won premierships in 1951, 1954-59 (Geof Motley in 59), 1962-3, 1965 then the rise of Sturt 1966-70 and North's brief ascension 1971-2.

Geof Motley had a brief run 1959-61, but after winning the flag in 1959, minor premiership in 1960-61 but exiting finals in straight sets, Bob McLean removed him as coach and brought Fos back.,

John Cahill took over in 1974, won the flag in 1977, then away we went again.

So, the drought had Fos from 1966 to 1973 (8 years), then Jack from 1974 to 1976 (3 years).

I know we finished the Minor Round 6 times in the top-2 (1 Minor Premiership) and lost 5 GF. Still, those 8 flagless years must have taken a toll on Fos.

The 1970 season was probably the most disappointing of all. We finished first, but missed the GF. We had missed Finals altogether in 1969. I imagine people weren’t exactly happy-clapping after we lost the PF to Glenelg.

However, Fos went on for three more seasons, losing 2 more GFs. Only in 1973 (1st season with a Final-5 system), when we finished 4th and lost the EF to Norwood, that Fos left.

What was going on then, specially after 1969/70? It’s hard to argue that Fos didn’t know how to win, but were there discussions that he might had been too old by then? Was it considered sacrilegious proposing a coaching change?

Why are these insiders sharing all this info of what you’re only posting 10%?

Is that a normal thing or

I’d have thought keeping a tight ship would show integrity.

Maybe I’m just naive

Well I have good relationships with these people. And in many ways I'm seen as an advisor to bounce ideas off. They value my input and opinion, and I know when to keep my mouth shut without having to be told as such. Absolute nothing that I say on here can be linked to a single individual. The information is generic, but I hope it gives people a bit of an understanding as to the Club's thinking. People are welcome to take it at whatever value they deem it.

Maybe Chewy is a friend and confidant to said insiders.

Maybe the information he posts is general enough that it can't be traced back to any individual - and you'd want to be very, very sure if you were someone else at the club making such an accusation.

Either way, it's not like there aren't other people at the club backgrounding journos about anything and everything all the time, Caro and Kane Cornes being the most obvious ones. That's no different and actually worse given they have a far bigger megaphone than some guy called Chewy316 on an internet forum.

This, this, this! Thank you.

Anyways, at this current rate I look forward to this thread reaching it's 13th iteration most likely over the upcoming weekend. Have a good night.

So, the drought had Fos from 1966 to 1973 (8 years), then Jack from 1974 to 1976 (3 years).

I know we finished the Minor Round 6 times in the top-2 (1 Minor Premiership) and lost 5 GF. Still, those 8 flagless years must have taken a toll on Fos.

The 1970 season was probably the most disappointing of all. We finished first, but missed the GF. We had missed Finals altogether in 1969. I imagine people weren’t exactly happy-clapping after we lost the PF to Glenelg.

However, Fos went on for three more seasons, losing 2 more GFs. Only in 1973 (1st season with a Final-5 system), when we finished 4th and lost the EF to Norwood, that Fos left.

What was going on then, specially after 1969/70? It’s hard to argue that Fos didn’t know how to win, but were there discussions that he might had been too old by then? Was it considered sacrilegious proposing a coaching change?
I was very young but as I remember not 100% of people were on board at the time. I was only just starting to have any interest and was starting to play myself. I guess losing the 2 grand finals to North then going backwards the next year the lack of momentum was the issue. Back then no assistants just the seconds coach and Jack had retired and I guess if Fos continued it meant Jack was likely to go elsewhere.

The “200+ Posts” Watch

7 posters have already crossed the mark.

gbear with a shot at 500.

PowerBaz and Us against the rest really close to 200 posts.
[It would be UATR first time posting below the threshold.]

tribey and PAFC66 with another strong innings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it became obvious with the evolution of football in SA during Sturt’s successful period that Fos’s general gamestyle wasn’t getting it done and possibly his messaging wasn’t getting through.
I recall Jack saying footy had moved on and he realised he would have to integrate the Oatey handball game into the hard, tough tradition of Fos’s way of playing to come up with his own hybrid.

I rarely listen to the show but when I have it's been clear to me that Timmy wants him out
Yeah. Who do you think was winding Rowie up to ask those questions.

Timmy was playing the game and staying arms length.

Rowe was doing a favour for a mate.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back