Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 13 - Another Crack At This

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive come to realise all this sack hinkley thing, all this hope that things are going to change, is all generated right here on this forum. By a very small minority. Its not happening. I know lots of Port supporters that dont post here, who love Hinkley. thats the majority.
It's really difficult to know where the support stands on Hinkley. I suspect that there is a sizeable proportion of disgruntled supporters but also think that the % of supporters that are still happy to keep him as coach would be higher than 50%.

My boss is an 1870 Foundation member
A player sponsor and has deep ties into the club through family
He hates Stinkers but keeps ponying up
It’s 100% a cult
Well I have been a member since 1997 (black diamond at AO) & I hate Special K. But I sure as hell ain't a member of the Hinlkey cult. I am a PA club member but my disenchantment has now gone way beyond just Hinkley. I'm pretty disgusted with the entire club leadership & their lack of integrity.

We're currently 10th in premiership betting for 2025 despite finishing 2nd in the H&A this year and finishing top 4 in 4 of the past 5 seasons. Speaks volumes about what the football world thinks of us - and yet these same people advocate us keeping Hinkley. Time for the club to make a decision on whether it wants to be a proper football club in the premiership business or a franchise existing to make up the numbers and add an extra game to the fixture.
I’ve got finishing somewhere between 10th-14th, thankfully Richmond, WCE, North, & Essendon, will keep us from bottom 4 territory.

I’ve got finishing somewhere between 10th-14th, thankfully Richmond, WCE, North, & Essendon, will keep us from bottom 4 territory.
Tend to think similar I said 8th to 10th. If we finish that low, with the talent on our list it will be all on Ken and can't see him surviving So we have to go thru pain in 2025 for longer term gain with a new coach for 2026 just frustrating we will be wasting a bloody whole year though. Koch is an idiot

There is enough to go on that indicates supporters are pissed: these threads, sticker-gate, voting in Tredrea, boos vs. Brisbane, boos in the Prelim, etc. I'm pretty sure David Koch referred to such supporters as "bastards" the other night which is pretty incredible - will this be a story at all?

Regardless, even if it is 50-50 or whatever, and there's a difference of opinion between supporters and happy clappers, that divide alone should be enough to signal the need for change. It's a pretty miserable situation to have such a large contingent of fans disgruntled and let down by the club.

To reaffirm, some things from the list your stats re: Ken Hinkley thread:
  • The longest serving coach in the history of the V/AFL never to make a Grand Final.
  • Four failed Preliminary Final attempts over 12 years.
  • Won 2 out of 12 quarters in the 2024 finals series.
  • Heaviest home state final defeat against an interstate opponent in the history of the national comp.
  • The worst four-stretch finals run in the history of the game (2021 Preliminary Final - 2024 Qualifying Final with 51.9% - three of the games at home).
  • Port have only had two finals series where they have improved on their minor round finish under Ken (in 2013 and 2014).
  • A bizarrely low 52% win-rate in night games at home (38% in finals).
  • A 28% win-rate against the top 4 compared with a 81% win rate against the bottom 10.

Might as well just come to terms with it, he's not getting sacked, there's no succession plan, there's every chance he'll get an extension next year.

This is what I have accepted. Hinkley is going to be our Senior Coach in 2025 and is likely to be given at least a one year extension by the midseason bye. Koch's wish for Hinkley to coach Ports for 20 years will be realised unless Hinkley decides he has had enough.

Leading up to the vote and also since the vote, from interactions with supporters invested in the club that indicated their intentions to vote or stated that they did, obviously not a large random sample, but interesting nonetheless, and basically ranging in age from 35 to 80, there were:
  • the voters in late 60s and over supported Abernathy simply because they affiliated with him as a favoured old time past player, but about three did so because they didn't want Tredrea as in their view will bring trouble (these three also support Koch ... "best thing to have happened to our club"). Strangely I wouldn't call them happy clappers.
  • the rest steadfastly supported Tredrea with their reason being because they want change.

And yeah, I do interact with a cross section of a lot of supporters. I'm attached to Alberton. I'm from the Timmy G era agewise.

Younger supporters had this defeatist attitude of "I might vote but it's not gonna make a difference anyway, it's not what we need, we just need to play better".

At the Giants final fiasco we were surrounded by pro Hinkley player blamers, it was like the bay was exclusively given to those types ... so I emphasise 'surrounded'. My mate put the blame on Hinkley, out of frustration, and suddenly whingers were coming at him from all sides. Interestingly, well actually it's puzzling, a lot of these ruffled feather types were well into their 70s.

I am flabbergasted by the really mature types that defend mediocrity. You'd think that they know better.

I would love to know the actual cross section of those voters. Really would because usually there's only 2000 votes, and that's appalling. I reckon the young generation don't bother, just not that invested or maybe they don't conceptualise that's how change comes about ... well at normal autonomous clubs anyway.

Cheesey Mac and I held up a Sack Hinkley banner after that GWS final.

Most people were very positive.

Of the 2 groups who weren't, one was a group of boomers who were quite confrontational about it, one fairly aggressive and in our face.

The other group were a group of younger guys who we had a really reasonable chat with. They didn't agree with the banner initially but saw our point of view and we shook hands at the end.

I know not all boomers are like that but the stereotype persists for a reason I guess. It also surprises me that people who went to the footy in the 80s and 90s would be okay with the current state of the club.

It's really difficult to know where the support stands on Hinkley. I suspect that there is a sizeable proportion of disgruntled supporters but also think that the % of supporters that are still happy to keep him as coach would be higher than 50%.

I don't agree at all. There are people who are less militant about it than us and who will get on with their lives in the offseason, but I'd say a comfortable majority want change.

I know only this, at work the fair weather Port supporters I know also want Hinkley gone. Wouldn't be members, would agitate for change but have had enough. The groundswell of support is a fiction like most of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 13 - Another Crack At This

Remove this Banner Ad

Back