Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 13 - Another Crack At This

Remove this Banner Ad

Either David Koch has been good for the club financially or we couldn't sack Hinkley in 2019 and 2022, it can't be both.

Sacking ken would of made us millions of more dollars , with my situation they lost 2 platinum members and I haven't brought merch in 5 years used to spend 200 a year minimum

Couldn't afford to pay him out in 2019 and 2022. Otherwise, he would have been gone.

This part doesn't make sense - could't afford to sack him and wanted him gone, instead extended his deal (with a year to run) after we just pissed away a gilded opportunity in a home prelim.

I'm sorry but I just don't believe this. I'm not saying I don't believe that's what you were told, but I believe it's a bullshit excuse.

North, St Kilda and Gold Coast have sacked coaches with a year on their deals during the same era. It might have been tight, but the idea that we couldn't have done it in 2022 but we can now seems ridiculous.

I'll let RussellEbertHandball comment on this one because he's far more across the financials than I am.

It also didn't help that Port had significant debt with the AFL (covid loans etc), and they were stupid enough not to have a 6 month payout clause like other teams had for their senior coaches.

I'll let RussellEbertHandball comment on this one because he's far more across the financials than I am.

It also didn't help that Port had significant debt with the AFL (covid loans etc), and they were stupid enough not to have a 6 month payout clause like other teams had for their senior coaches.

We couldn't help the loans but the 6 month payout for a coach who was already way past his used by date is just plain old mismanagement. We should have been looking at that as a way of avoiding another 2017 extension disaster instead of gleefully agreeing to whatever Blucher put in front of us.

At any other club someone would have fallen on their sword by now. The 2023 extension is another one and that'll form the basis of my question at the AGM. Why is nobody ever held accountable for obviously bad decisions about the coach;s contract?

Sacking ken would of made us millions of more dollars , with my situation they lost 2 platinum members and I haven't brought merch in 5 years used to spend 200 a year minimum

I'm also on a merch ban (apart from heritage stuff). They just released a hoodie that I like and I was hoping Hinkley would get sacked so I can buy it, but no dice.

This part doesn't make sense - could't afford to sack him and wanted him gone, instead extended his deal (with a year to run) after we just pissed away a gilded opportunity in a home prelim.

The extension in early 2021 for 2 years was driven by Richo. The Board only wanted to extend him for 2022 but Richo wanted to align himself with the senior coach so the Board agreed to the 2 year extension. You can look at it as pissing away a golden opportunity the season before but one can also see that they improved from being out of the finals the year prior to top of the league all season, and the prelim was lost to the eventual premier by only 6 points. Wasn't as if they were outclassed (they even had the bloody lead in the final quarter).

We couldn't help the loans but the 6 month payout for a coach who was already way past his used by date is just plain old mismanagement. We should have been looking at that as a way of avoiding another 2017 extension disaster instead of gleefully agreeing to whatever Blucher put in front of us.

At any other club someone would have fallen on their sword by now. The 2023 extension is another one and that'll form the basis of my question at the AGM. Why is nobody ever held accountable for obviously bad decisions about the coach;s contract?

FWIW, I agree with you, but good luck getting a straight answer out of them.

Hawks sending coaches abroad after finals run​

Several Hawks coaches are heading, or have returned, abroad for professional development opportunities.

Ken's probably packed the MG up with his cooler full of diet soft drink and bogan shorts and thongs, ready for his well deserved break.

Oh yeah, but I do that at my work and they call it a junket.

Bloody football.

FWIW, I agree with you, but good luck getting a straight answer out of them.

It'll be more of a statement than a question but i'll effectively list off the poor decisions regarding Hinkley's contract and then ask them why nobody at Board of Footy Dept level has been held accountable for those decisions, probably alluding to the fact that if we could vote in the board they'd all be out of jobs.

It'll be more of a statement than a question but i'll effectively list off the poor decisions regarding Hinkley's contract and then ask them why nobody at Board of Footy Dept level has been held accountable for those decisions, probably alluding to the fact that if we could vote in the board they'd all be out of jobs.

I would amend your question to ask who has been held accountable for those decisions as opposed to you making the statement that no one has been held accountable.

Much more powerful if you're able to get them admitting that as opposed to you telling them as such.

I would amend your question to ask who has been held accountable for those decisions as opposed to you making the statement that no one has been held accountable.

Much more powerful if you're able to get them admitting that as opposed to you telling them as such.

Great point, i'll amend.

The extension in early 2021 for 2 years was driven by Richo. The Board only wanted to extend him for 2022 but Richo wanted to align himself with the senior coach so the Board agreed to the 2 year extension.
That's good. Now, when Ken exits the building, it's clear Richo must go, too. These people are either corrupt or the dumbest cretins on the planet. David Koch and his like have turned a national powerhouse into a little club from Alberton. I don't make a habit of wishing ill on people, but these incompetent fools ...

That's good. Now, when Ken exits the building, it's clear Richo must go, too. These people are either corrupt or the dumbest cretins on the planet. David Koch and his like have turned a national powerhouse into a little club from Alberton. I don't make a habit of wishing ill on people, but these incompetent fools ...
Too true Eddie. These pricks are in it for themselves only and for all reasons contrary to The Creed. Arseholes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assume you and everyone else here is across the change petition to have the clubs constitution amended to give more power to members? Only 230 signatures so far, this number needs to be 23,000.

Unfortunately they'll counter with "due to our decison-making, we've consistently exceeded the pass mark of making finals"!

:openmouth::openmouth::openmouth::openmouth::openmouth::openmouth::openmouth::openmouth::openmouth:

Until they admit that making GFs consistently, well at least once or twice in a decade, is the pass mark, they'll make us out to be delusional.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't ken negotiate the 6 month clause out of his contract and in return he took a pay drop?

Other coaches didn't mind considering the Covid situation but I think Ken was just trying to make sure Port wouldn't part ways with him because they would of had to pay the full 12 months.

Last edited:
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't ken negotiate the 6 month clause out of his contract and in return he took a pay drop?

Other coaches didn't mind considering the Covid situation but I think Ken was just trying to make sure Port wouldn't part ways with him because they would of had to pay the full 12 months.

Something like that.

There were assistant coaches who suddenly found themselves out of work and begging blue collar work to pay the bills, while the AFL was hastily negotiating a half-billion dollar deal with the banks using Marvel Stadium as collateral to keep half the clubs afloat, and here’s Kenny determined to make sure his arse was well and truly covered against the grain of what was happening everywhere else.

Good bloke, though.

Couldn't afford to pay him out in 2019 and 2022. Otherwise, he would have been gone.
As others have pointed out we have had opportunities to let his contract run out but have instead given him contract extensions.

When he asked to be released from his contract at the end of 2017 we could have released him and told him not to let the door hit him on the arse on the way out. Instead our incompetent board gave him yet another extension.

Something like that.

There were assistant coaches who suddenly found themselves out of work and begging blue collar work to pay the bills, while the AFL was hastily negotiating a half-billion dollar deal with the banks using Marvel Stadium as collateral to keep half the clubs afloat, and here’s Kenny determined to make sure his arse was well and truly covered against the grain of what was happening everywhere else.

Good bloke, though.
You'd have to be a complete idiot with no financial acumen to agree to that though.

1728633883617.jpeg

That is exactly what he did. He was the only afl senior coach to do so. What a guy.

Something like that.

Good bloke, though.

Nah, I'm going to stick up for Hinkley here. The AFL pretty much decided that players and administrators would keep getting paid as per normal and that the sacrificial lambs would be the coaches and other football department staff. I don't blame Hinkley or any other coach one little bit for protecting themselves in that context.

Nah, I'm going to stick up for Hinkley here. The AFL pretty much decided that players and administrators would keep getting paid as per normal and that the sacrificial lambs would be the coaches and other football department staff. I don't blame Hinkley or any other coach one little bit for protecting themselves in that context.

Meh, fùck him.

No, the AFL decided that the players and coaches would get paid as normal. The administrators were fair game as they are easily replaced. The six month payout clause was for a worst case scenario but Hinkley saw it as a risk if he was sacked for being a failure, nothing to do with COVID. Hinkley was simply looking after Hinkley as he always doing.

I'm sorry but I just don't believe this. I'm not saying I don't believe that's what you were told, but I believe it's a bullshit excuse.

North, St Kilda and Gold Coast have sacked coaches with a year on their deals during the same era. It might have been tight, but the idea that we couldn't have done it in 2022 but we can now seems ridiculous.
Good organisations don't sack coaches midway through the season

Also

We can't sack him at season's end as it affects recruitment and player contracts

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 13 - Another Crack At This

Remove this Banner Ad

Back