Roast Sack Koch - Chairman of The Redeem Team

Remove this Banner Ad

David is like the anti-Malinauskus. He's looking for populist causes to hitch his wagon to, but he picks the wrong ones.

Let's be friends with crows supporters
Let's embrace Dawson
The sanfl made our reserves a steaming pile of turd
David, Ken and Davies say hi. You continue to keep these two numpties employed.

Oh, and perhaps appointing a decent SANFL coach instead of Hartlett may have helped avoid the spoon, too.

Pull your head in on this one David, you guys stuffed our sanfl team with poor decision making. Non-existent coach, poor top ups, not enough size put on rookie players.

Absolutely and instead of taking responsibility for this disgraceful result, he’s blaming everyone else apart from him and the footy department.

Last edited:

Pull your head in on this one David, you guys stuffed our sanfl team with poor decision making. Non-existent coach, poor top ups, not enough size put on rookie players.
I disagree. Both can (and are) true.

There is no doubt the SANFL has actively tried to hobble us.

The old farts still think beating Port in the SAFL is relevant.

The sanfl puts restrictions in place to stop both teams from seriously challenging at the pointy end.

But the decisions made at Alberton turned Port in the sanfl into an absolute joke this year. I went to the North game at Alberton early in the year and was talking to some former players while the team on the oval embarrassed itself by nearly 90 points.

I felt for those players and people like PowerLil who are there every week to support what is no longer the Magpies in the sanfl.

I've made my feelings clear about the Port reserves as I see them. They are hobbled and they should no longer be included in sanfl records. And they shouldn't be wearing the guernsey.

But even so, to see such insipid efforts was disappointing. The crows have the same restrictions and they nearly played finals. They smashed us twice. They have a former premiership winning coach in charge and they play like a team. They do have a lot of tweener players on their AFL list, and I would rather be in our position list-wise, but we were completely noncompetitive. That shouldn't happen.

All we had to do to avoid the spoon was beat the second worst team in the comp - South Adelaide - at Alberton. And we blew that. Even half an effort in the last minor round game might have saved them on percentage. But no, too hard.

So yeah, Koch shouldn't be shouting too loud about this, although I guess it will play well with some.

It’s quite simple. It’s an 8+2 league.

We are not alone. How does our season compare to that of our equivalent?

The difference cannot fall into SANFL responsibility. It’s on us.

It’s just a case of Koch being wrong even when he’s right.

Ultimately, he is just deflecting accountability. The issues are real, but we have nonetheless underachieved.

This year, the Crows have the right to complain about the SANFL’s restrictions. They finished 6th. We were last. We don’t.

Crows v Magpies 2024

Pos.: C, +4
Wins: C, +4
PF: C, +212
PA: C, -283
%: C, +9.24%

That’s all on us.

This exercise can be done to every single season since 2014 (or would it be 2015?).

We may not be able to compete against the 8 SANFL clubs, but we are on equal footing with the Crows. Before worrying with the SANFL clubs, we must beat the Crows.

We are in league with them. We cannot ignore it. In this regard, whenever we went worse than them in the SANFL, we have failed.

Last edited:
David is like the anti-Malinauskus. He's looking for populist causes to hitch his wagon to, but he picks the wrong ones.

Let's be friends with crows supporters
Let's embrace Dawson
The sanfl made our reserves a steaming pile of turd
Agreed, koch is the Mike Rann(away) of football administrators, ie tell the people what they want to hear and then have zero ownership of any c***ups!

Maybe we need that bloke with the rolled up magazine to attend the AGM. :rolleyes:

It angers me that this organisation uses the Magpies history as a cash grab. I hate hearing the song sung without passion. I hate seeing the jumper pulled on and represented without pride and by sub standard top ups. I hate the coaching and development appointments. I hate hearing excuses.

I don't think the intentions are that bad. I actually think the intentions are good. But the execution is terrible.

Without getting into the discussion about whether it's the SANFL's fault or whether Port don't put enough into making the team competitive, the simple reality is that it's a reserves team. It exists to provide match practice to mostly under 21 AFL listed players, most of whom will not go on to have long AFL careers. That needs to be put sharply into perspective.

I'm actually not convinced it's even necessary to have a reserves team but if we do it shouldn't be branded the way it is. Literally call it Port Adelaide Power and have it wear the same guernsey as the AFL team. It should be really clear that it's a reserves team, anything else is either a lie or a delusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The crows also just have way better top ups than us, that Jay Boyle is a gun, Templeton (won a flag with WWT) Haysman (won a flag with Westies) Tahana, O'Leary both those boys have been racking it up. Toby Murray before he was drafted.

Even in the past, Wright, McKenzie, Sharrad (should have never let him leave)

It seems since 2021 they've had a better recruitment when it comes to top ups. And we've just started taking the piss and then just blaming the rules.

If I see a team of players that are not good enough but are giving it a proper crack with a decent game style, it's the SANFL's fault.

If I see a disorganised mess, players being pulled out of games for no reason, and players not giving a crap, it's the clubs fault.

The game vs Norwood at Alberton was the only loss this year where I thought we didn't have the talent but played above our capacity.

His comment about the SANFL getting what they wanted is spot on however I watched us at Alberton (with 14 AFL listed players) get thumped by a mob of kids playing for South there was no care factor no intensity no method no spirit nothing. Will never go again after that.

Good post, I read Koch's, 'SANFL got what they wanted' comment in the press this morning and could not help thinking, has Koch just realised that the Port Magpies will win the wooden spoon in 2024? As you post Koch is right but on his watch the passion and desire to win in the PB guernsey has evaporated and he also has to shoulder some of the blame.

The people running the show at Alberton talk about Port tradition but as far as I can tell they have done **** all to get the Port Magpies back on track. Most of them are blow ins and they have no idea what made us tick in the years before we entered the AFL.

Your comment about the side having 14 AFL listed players against South at Alberton is well made. That loss was nothing short of disgraceful and clearly demonstrates that something is fundamentally wrong at Alberton. We cannot blame the SANFL for that one, it was entirely down to the players and the people running the show.

I mark a player's character at least in part by the effort he puts in at SANFL level and 14 AFL listed players should be doing all they can to get noticed. Maybe it is down to the Coach to get that message across if that is not happening then it is time to get a new Coach regardless of how long he has been in the job.

If I see a team of players that are not good enough but are giving it a proper crack with a decent game style, it's the SANFL's fault.

If I see a disorganised mess, players being pulled out of games for no reason, and players not giving a crap, it's the clubs fault.

The game vs Norwood at Alberton was the only loss this year where I thought we didn't have the talent but played above our capacity.

Yep, as per my previous post. A Port side taking out a wooden spoon in any grade should be unacceptable to those in charge. Hamish Hartlett has only been in the SANFL job for a season but he has not started well and maybe we need to find someone with some SANFL history to get some passion back into the playing group?

According to Koch there are changes for the better in the SANFL set up next year so that might enable us to add some SANFL experience to the playing group? I have not seen the proposed changes so I am shooting in the dark. If someone can ouline them it would be appreciated.

I was asked to do some work for Matthew Richardson last year where he was needing to present to Koch and co regarding our purpose/performance in the Sanfl, along the lines of our age demographic and experience in direct relation to our opposition over the past few years. Essentially the purpose was to give a visual on why we are where we are, and that winning games was far from a high priority.

I don't think the intentions are that bad. I actually think the intentions are good. But the execution is terrible.

Without getting into the discussion about whether it's the SANFL's fault or whether Port don't put enough into making the team competitive, the simple reality is that it's a reserves team. It exists to provide match practice to mostly under 21 AFL listed players, most of whom will not go on to have long AFL careers. That needs to be put sharply into perspective.

I'm actually not convinced it's even necessary to have a reserves team but if we do it shouldn't be branded the way it is. Literally call it Port Adelaide Power and have it wear the same guernsey as the AFL team. It should be really clear that it's a reserves team, anything else is either a lie or a delusion.
Love to know how a club can operate without a reserves team?

Love to know how a club can operate without a reserves team?

Probably a discussion to be fleshed out in another thread but basically you do match practice against other AFL clubs with top ups if necessary.

Allows you to control when and where games are played (especially handy for a non Victorian team with travel plus no more untimely state league byes), the length of games to manage minutes depending on training load, makes it possible to arrange with the opposition to train certain match situations and plays that the coaches are looking to train, etc. I can see loads of positives.

Only negative is you don't get the 'competitive' aspect but is it really 'competitive' anyway when the reserves team is so compromised that it's basically a joke?

vKcgQYp.jpeg

Once our top ups stopped being SANFL calibre players from our old zone this was ALWAYS gonna happen. It's another reason why I was against turning the magpies into the reserves, OR at least, work it out to where it benefits EVERYONE, power, magpies, the players, coaches, SUPPORTERS. Hence why I think this is something that shouldve been either worked out over a couple season before implementing it OR a slow transition over those couple years, not just dropping us in the war zone with no future planning or hindsight.

Are the SANFL to blame? Of course, but the club and those in discussion with the SANFL are very much equally to blame.

Odd how when we made those GFs Koch doesn't say a thing, a season we finish bottom and he throws his toys out the pram. THIS IS WHAT YOU AGREED TOO!

Why did Matthew Richardson think it was possible to win a premiership at this level then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Sack Koch - Chairman of The Redeem Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back